Snowmobiling blues...

-
Winter of 97, we got powder and drifts,10 and 12 feet high, highly unusual here on the flat-lands. That was the same year I think, Extra 12 suspensions came out, and the big-inch Polarises, and 2" paddle tracks.
I was wrenching for a Polaris dealer, and got to test-drive a few of those. Lordy those brutes could climb. I was 44 and stamina-wise many times the man then as now,and those brutes could tucker a guy out..... but man what fun in that powder. I remember topping this one crest, going too fast to stop, and the crest was actually a cliff, and it was straight down maybe 8 ft on the other side with a bathtub-full of powder down there. It's absolutely amazing the many thoughts that race thru your mind when it looks like you are about to destroy the bosses brand new sales-stock,lol.
I had repaired enough sleds to know this was about to get expensive. In slo-mo time, I ran thru the options and decided the best course of action, for my face and body, was to just let go of the handlebars as we crested the peak, and lean back as far as I could, and hope my boots stayed in the stirrups. And at that moment my mind saw this from afar, and it looked totally ridiculous as the snomobile got air with seemingly no pilot. We crested more or less level, with my weight far to the rear and soared thru the air, and smashed into the drift on the other side, more or less not even touching the bathtub at the bottom. The sudden resistance flung me forward, the stirrups held, and flying in slo-mo, I was able to land my hands back on the grips, and mash the throttle,as my body was crashing forward; and so prevent destroying the windshield, As the 2" paddles dug in; what a rush, they launched me straight into the next, slightly smaller, wall. Oh boy; here we go again! whoop-whoop!
YES! YES! YES!!!
This is the kind of story that makes a fun snowmobile thread! I'll prepare mine later I'm a little busy. I got plenty!

lol, im just having fun with it (remember who i voted for when the announcement first came out? )
maybe im easily amused

i guess ill let it go

almost forgot to mention, that is one slick setup on the pickup
you posted that last your too right?
It's one a guy on one of the snowmobile forums posted up. he claims to have done quite a few of them and even has Blueprints and kits that he sells to make them. My plan is to take my truck outside and start measuring and design my own.

Well if you know me I got to start with my funniest one first!
so fortunately for anybody who's my best friend because they get hookiebobb and talked into buying snowmobiles also.
Fast forward to my best friend Steve and his snowmobile LOL
So I blaze up this big hill and show him how it's done. LOL he blazed up the big hill and gets to the top and gets stuck trying to turn around. I go up there and get him unstuck and get him going down the hill. He gets stuck on a small little two and a half inch limb sticking out going downhill? So I go down and I throw in my pocket saw and tell him to get down below the snow and cut it off. He does so and the snowmobile is still wedge but wedged going downhill. I tell him get up on there and ride it off and keep going. For some reason he feels he has to get it unstuck and pull it out? mind you he standing in front of it and the 600-pound Machine is aim downhill at him and he's up to his knees at least in snow? He's pulling and pulling at that ski with that sled aimed downhill at him LOL and I'm saying no no! Ride it out!
Well with a lot of effort he finally got it to break loose LOL and and yes as you can only imagine with him standing in front of it past his knees and snow once it broke loose he couldn't get out from in front of it! LOL have you ever seen Tim Conway do dwarf on golf where he's sunk to the floor to his knees and he falls backwards LOL? His snowmobile ran him over! He pops back out with a print of his body and the compressed snowmobile trac tracks dropping off the front of him LOL he shaking his head looking around like what happened! I swear to goodness only time I think I laughed as much as when I seen the video of that lady in the mall on her cell phone walking into the fountain.

One of our favorite videos snowmobiling is of Steve also LOL of course LOL. So I put the GoPro on my wife's helmet so she can take videos of my best friend and I snowmobiling? so he's out in front of my wife on the right side of the trail kind of ditch banging in and off the trail and for whatever reason he goes over and off..
If that wasn't funny enough you could hear my wife in the video laughing (HA!HA!) at the instant he crashed.
We replied that over and over laughing and laughing LOL.

You wouldn't be pulling my leg would you, you're not that kind of guy right? That would be an engineering marvel.
I have found that the higher your engine is revving while you're hauling your snowmobiles the more stable the truck is. I personally prefer above 7000.

this looks tippy, over a 1/2 ton of sleds sitting that high....
Well whatever turns out happening I'm sure it can't be anywhere in the neighborhood of one of those big huge campers on the back of a truck full of firewood sitting all big and huge up there like a big sail?

oh you were getting on about snowmobiles on the other thread and I just didn't want to screw it up when we have our own thread to talk about snowmobiles here?
oh.... gotcha. LOL... I'll get back into it … someday when things calm down. Next time, though, I want an enclosed trailer. Sure miss 'em, though. Thought about next time going 4 stroke Yamaha, so much better on gas.

oh.... gotcha. LOL... I'll get back into it … someday when things calm down. Next time, though, I want an enclosed trailer. Sure miss 'em, though. Thought about next time going 4 stroke Yamaha, so much better on gas.
Yamahas got the turbo now and they are 210 + horsepower.
I always love doing the weight to horsepower ratio on these. And then calculate that much horsepower for every pound on my car. It would like be the equivalent of my car having over 900 horsepower.

Yamahas got the turbo now and they are 210 + horsepower.
I always love doing the weight to horsepower ratio on these. And then calculate that much horsepower for every pound on my car. It would like be the equivalent of my car having over 900 horsepower.
True, but it don't work out that way on the strip. so much is lost in the drive train, means they crawl instead of roll, if ya follow. LOL....
My last Ski Doo had 118 horsepower, and weighed just over 500 lbs. It was fast (at least to me). Several times I'd nail it on asphalt and hang on Mamma !! LOL. I raced it 1000 ft on ice radar run. I didn't have picks, still managed 90 mph... LOL.

True, but it don't work out that way on the strip. so much is lost in the drive train, means they crawl instead of roll, if ya follow. LOL....
My last Ski Doo had 118 horsepower, and weighed just over 500 lbs. It was fast (at least to me). Several times I'd nail it on asphalt and hang on Mamma !! LOL. I raced it 1000 ft on ice radar run. I didn't have picks, still managed 90 mph... LOL.
There's no "real" snowmobile events that I know of here in the NW.

Ours are about 160+ HP direct injected twin two strokes. But geared for the long tracks.

I'd love to get a old beater and put roller blades under the ski's and cut the lugs off the track.

Ours are about 160+ HP direct injected twin two strokes. But geared for the long tracks.
Yeah, I raced a few of the big CC sleds across the lakes at those events. Once we hit around 60 mph they begin to pull away. Mine was 670 Formula Z (two stroke of course). I beat some 700's, but most 800's and up I just ran out of motor compared to them once the clutches changed gearing for the big end....LOL. I never lost a race to the same or smaller CC though..... Some of them guys had the 1000 cc yamaha's with turbos. 140+ in the 1000 ft. Probably low 9's/high 8's at the 1/4 mile strip.

Before you do, have a look at where the turbo is these days. On the first year of those bad boys, they were buried pretty deep, and as a Yamaha tech at that time, it was pretty expensive to replace to the customer. And the first year, they were none too reliable.
Their PWCs were worse tho; almost cheaper to buy a new one.

-
Back