So it begins, '71 Duster 340 TX9

-

MyD750

'71 Duster 340 TX9
Reaction score
Got word this morning the car should be delivered around 6PM tonight. A friend heading to Houston this afternoon saw it heading towards San Antonio on I-10 while they were traveling. Pretty neat. I'll post pics from the off load tonight. I've got prior obligations, so the dig-in starts in the morning. Here's the car being loaded in FL at ChallengerGary location.

71 Duster loaded.jpg

Got word this morning the car should be delivered around 6PM tonight. A friend heading to Houston this afternoon saw it heading towards San Antonio on I-10 while they were traveling. Pretty neat. I'll post pics from the off load tonight. I've got prior obligations, so the dig-in starts in the morning. Here's the car being loaded in FL at ChallengerGary location.

View attachment 1716005847
SO you got Gary's car! I was so hoping someone would save that one.

The car arrived last night about 8:30. The driver was very nice, from Armenia, and for having been here just about a year, did pretty well on English. The trailer winch was not powered and had a problem with the control, so he used a come-along to lower/unload. If my neighbor had been home we would his tractor. It took a while but the guy dealt with the car like it was a brand new exotic, very careful in handling, can't complain about that at all. I got a decent first look of the underside, and glad to say that while 'rusty' it all looks like surface crud. Major leakage streaks found. The body is another story. Both rear quarters will be replaced and maybe some inner fender cleaning/cutting/welding. My wife at one point said 'this will take years" and kind of rolled her eyes. Hhmmm, well maybe in the biggest picture of perfect detail. I know it will take a lot of time. But hey, I've got it. At least she didn't say anything about costing a fortune. More photos later today was the weather clears. Today's plan is to finish assessment worksheet, vacuum the loose crud from the interior and wash the motor off.

71 Duster Unload.JPG

Hope the motor can be saved. Don't understand people. It was rebuilt then let mice make a home in it. Glad Gary got it when he did. Can't wait to see it gettin restored.

Mike, glad she made it to you safe and sound. Can't wait to watch your progress. Pleasure dealing with you on this. You are a gentleman and a man of your word - rare things these days it seems.

Mike, glad she made it to you safe and sound. Can't wait to watch your progress. Pleasure dealing with you on this. You are a gentleman and a man of your word - rare things these days it seems.
Right back at ya sir. Your assistance and candor have been a huge help in getting to a decision point and getting it delivered.

Well, this morning I spent running a quick assessment, photographing, inventorying and documenting the start of the project. Here's a link to the photos. There are 93 of them. I found all sorts of stuff that the second owner (pre-Gary) had "installed" or left in the car, to include a mummified rat. Yes there's a pic of that as well, I know someone wants to see it. Strangely, they installed a Ford power antenna. SMH, some folks have no shame; mixing Mopar and Ford. Shame shame shame. However, the big bonus, which Gary didn't mention, but I thougth I spied in one of the pics he posted.... A Kraco AM/FM Cassette player! Ha!
A couple of photos added to prime the pump.
NIKON IMAGE SPACE (Nikon photo link)

71 TX9 Duster 340 Assessment 1st Day11_03_22_84_.JPG

71 TX9 Duster 340 Assessment 1st Day11_03_22_93_.JPG

71 TX9 Duster 340 Assessment 1st Day11_03_22_76_.JPG

71 TX9 Duster 340 Assessment 1st Day11_03_22_82_.JPG

MAN, I really wanted that car.....but it was just a little too much to do for me.

Please pass the popcorn.

Yeah I was eying that car when it was for sale hoping something good would become of it. I consider the '71 the best year Duster given its higher CFM carb/intake yet still retains the high compression 340 with big valve heads. Yeah it might be rough and yeah it needs a lot of metal work but you could not ask for a better car to bring back to life and be saved. True classic and being an original 340 car factory black factory 4 spd it will really be something once done.

Yes, no expense was spared at K-Mart in the car audio section. I'm glad ebay is out there to continue the line Sparkomatic Vintage Speakers for sale | eBay
Image1487915728.jpg

When I was going through my inventory of parts years ago I came across this. It won't make any sense to anyone other than those who were into car audio in the 80's. I actually spent a watching Ebay to duplicate the Headunit that was in the car during the mid 80's.... Different strokes for different folks..

-
Back