So Many Rabbit Holes...

-
I have the later disc brakes on my 69 Dart with LBP rallye wheels with no problem.

Is the backspacing on large bolt pattern rallye wheels the same as small bolt pattern rallye wheels? That was my concern. I don't know if small bolt pattern rallye wheels used with drum brakes are the same backspacing as large bolt pattern rallye wheels used with disc brakes.

All I know is I put a 3/4" spacer between the wheel and the hub and my tires were very close to the wheel well lip. I decided to hold off until I could just do it all at once, which will be after my Charger is complete and I have more cash available.

Any time we shop the internet for parts it can stack up really fast.
Patience, Craigslist, investigation and the pick a part yards can save tons of money.
Plus it helps a LOT if a person doesn't have to hire someone to do everything.
YY1 hit the nail on the head about upgrading without killing the bank account.

Examples would be getting brand new large BP drums on a rear end someone was giving away to get it out of their yard.
Or an Edelbrock aluminum intake out of the pick a part for 60 bucks (with the perfectly good Eddie carb on it) for 100 total.
Or a guaranteed good 42RH overdrive trans for 125 (with the converter and large yoke)
Or a nice condition used Hurst shifter in the original box for 60.

Agreed, ... unfortunately there aren't many yards, around this area that I have found, that have any of these cars around anymore. Most are 80's - 90's and up and everything older has been crushed.

Is the backspacing on large bolt pattern rallye wheels the same as small bolt pattern rallye wheels? That was my concern. I don't know if small bolt pattern rallye wheels used with drum brakes are the same backspacing as large bolt pattern rallye wheels used with disc brakes.

All I know is I put a 3/4" spacer between the wheel and the hub and my tires were very close to the wheel well lip. I decided to hold off until I could just do it all at once, which will be after my Charger is complete and I have more cash available.
What size tire are you running? Not home right now but I believe I'm running 225x70x14 with no issues. Not sure on the BS.

What size tire are you running? Not home right now but I believe I'm running 225x70x14 with no issues. Not sure on the BS.

225/60-14. If you are clearing a 70 series tire, I would think my 60 series tire would clear. I will look at it again. Thanks!

Agreed, ... unfortunately there aren't many yards, around this area that I have found, that have any of these cars around anymore. Most are 80's - 90's and up and everything older has been crushed.

Same here but like YY1 mentioned, some of the 80's cars have parts that can upgrade our older cars.
That aluminum intake and carb I got for 100 bucks was on a Jeep.:D
The trans from a 95 Dakota 2wd.

I always laugh to myself when guys out west say...grab a whatever out of a whatever. There's absolutely nothing left in the north east. I saw a late 80's Olds Cutlass the other day. I can't even remember the last time I saw one. Certainly not in the last 15-20yrs. Even 3rd and 4th gen Camaros are a rare sight. Fox body mustangs... extinct.

Last edited:
I see about four 5th Ave's per year in a three county radius of my favorite U pull yards.

During that time I also usually see one F body.

I always laugh to myself when guys out west say...grab a whatever out of a whatever. There's absolutely nothing left in the north east. I saw a late 80's Olds Cutlass the other day. I can't even remember the last time I saw one. Certainly not in the last 15-20yrs. Even 3rd and 4th gen Camaros are a rare sight.
Yes to find any car in any boneyard older than a 2000 in this part of Texas would be rare! Only cars left except maybe the big Calif city pick a parts (maybe!) are in hands of enthusiasts or some old farmer that collected old junkers and they sat in his back pasture for decades!
People will soon, if not now, be building hotrods out of 2000 Stangs. People get tired of looking at idiot priced Mopar projects on CL!
Hobbies are money pits. Only reasonable way is do all the work yourself, and be real frugal.
People want to upgrade brakes, make interiors like new, perfect paint.. it gets expensive.

Yes to find any car in any boneyard older than a 2000 in this part of Texas would be rare! Only cars left except maybe the big Calif city pick a parts (maybe!) are in hands of enthusiasts or some old farmer that collected old junkers and they sat in his back pasture for decades!
People will soon, if not now, be building hotrods out of 2000 Stangs. People get tired of looking at idiot priced Mopar projects on CL!
Hobbies are money pits. Only reasonable way is do all the work yourself, and be real frugal.
People want to upgrade brakes, make interiors like new, perfect paint.. it gets expensive.
Yup, Mopar guys get bent over LS swaps, Mustang 2 front ends, Ford rears, ect. They better get used to it. If you are lucky enough to find a salvageable Mopar shell that can be titled, you are a winner!

Hagerty Ins. quoted the % of applicants now days, the majority is not the baby boomers anymore, but gen x and milleniums. A lot of what this group is now looking at for projects is 60's chevy pickups! I fond this interesting info Afforable, plentiful, and old and cool!
People have to want a MOPAR, otherwise just so much cheaper and easier to do a GM.

I would love to do a 50's car but a MOPAR. I found a pasture full for $600 choice, but in Ne.!!! That is what they are really worth! (to me.)

Having done a Bbp swap the way I want, the other 2 cars will stay SBP. I like the 8 3/4 so that means, for me, off to Moser to cut for A Body track, which is different than stock A Body, for bbp axles and brakes. Then, 73 knuckles and 70 pin type 11.75 calipers and rotors. Luckily I have a reinforced 73+ K frame for the 67 Barracuda. Original 15 x 7.00 aluminum wheels and The highest speed rated tires round it out. I’m also putting the stock 6 leaf Formula S rear springs back on and shelving the Super Stock springs. The 66 and 68 Formula S cars were converted to manual KH front disc with the original 10 x 1 3/4 rear drums. 15 x 7 Ralleyes fit perfect, even on an early A. Coys makes wheels in sbp. I had a custom set of minilights 15 x 6.00 made but probably should have had them made in 16 x 7.00 in. What front brakes do you have on your 67?

Last edited:
I've been seeing cheap SBP rallye wheels lately.

Wonder why.

I'm typically in the "buy once, cry once" mentality and as others have mentioned, anything pre 90 is getting to be slim pickings in the junk yard.

So the plan for wheels & tires goes like this:

4) cragar 342 d window 17" wheels - $500
2) 274/40r17 tires - $300
2) front tires, size undetermined - $300
1) DrDiff BBP axle kit - $300
1) DrDiff rear disk brake kit - $750
2) DrDiff 73up spindles - $155
1) Dr. Diff stage 3 front brake kit - $900
1) Hotchkiss TVS - $2400

So far we're at $5600 and this doesn't include the incidentals I'm invariably forgetting. I'm also up on the air about whether to go with the brembo style brakes or the cobra.

So my rabbit hole is more like 2/3 of my rough guesstimate, but it still puts off a simple tire and wheel change for quite a while. And to be fair, this is a total braking and suspension upgrade and when it's done, I'm done. At least with that phase, lol.

I did the full BBP conversion using a '67 B-body 8 3/4" and '73-up OE front discs which you could still find pretty easily 10 years ago. Factory bearings in the rear end were still in excellent shape, they usually are; big tapered-roller wheel bearings were classic Chrysler overkill and the 10" drums are still an upgrade from the 9"-ers on the old 7 1/4". I used some new 15" Rallyes I bought from a company in Denver that manufactures steel wheels.

I didn't cry from any of that but waiting to drive the car 2 years from a $4k engine build has been pretty depressing tbh

It's a 383-s with KH front brakes
Then put some good pads on the front and matching shoes on the rear and you're done.
Fresh fluid. Fresh fluid every spring.
At least as far as performance goes, that will handle anything you throw at it.

Then put some good pads on the front and matching shoes on the rear and you're done.
Fresh fluid. Fresh fluid every spring.
At least as far as performance goes, that will handle anything you throw at it.

Brakes have been completely rebuilt front and rear, minus hard lines. They are definitely GTG for now.

It's a 383-s with KH front brakes

If you already have discs up front, but just wanting to change to big bolt pattern for more wheel choices, I'd get ahold of Cass at Dr Diff and see if he can come up with a BBP rotor that will work with the Kelsey Hayes disc setup.

If you already have discs up front, but just wanting to change to big bolt pattern for more wheel choices, I'd get ahold of Cass at Dr Diff and see if he can come up with a BBP rotor that will work with the Kelsey Hayes disc setup.

That is definitely something I hadn’t thought about asking them. My FABO research has led me to believe that the only option for keeping the KH brakes is using ford hubs and having them machined to fit the spindle. I will run it by them in an email.

It's a relief to read that other people are puzzling through the wheel /brake conundrum. I get the "...stick an LS in it.." and "...Ford 9 inch.." solutions. I guess the thing that makes Mopar folk so cranky is the maxim "Mopar or no car". What are we complaining about? We asked for it, all of the adapting and upgrading endlessly. Choices, choices. Rabbit holes. After a while you realize that more and more you are speaking the language or maybe dialect of an idiosyncratic tribe that is slowly disappearing or fading as it is diluted by the larger dominant culture. It's the double edged sword analogy. You can be Mopar proud but it can also hang you. I get it. It's not like mental illness, it IS mental illness.

^^^^ Time marches on. A few decades ago there was no "clone". Yes the hotrod guys have been buiding cars out of junkyards for many decades, but most of the Mopar guys stayed with the tried and true Mopar stuff, it was better, stronger or as strong, easy to find, available. Now the old guys are dying off (like me) and other generations take up. Looking fir body 8 3/4? Hard to find and cost $$$$> Use something else??? . Cheaper, but if you sell to a real old time Mopar guy, he will want the Mopar parts.
The Mopars of the 60-70s are rapidly going the way of the street rodder, touring cars, resto rods, custom dash, bandage tires, 20 in wheels, what ever. I saw it comng 20 years ago. These are old cars, hunks of steel and plastic. Time marches on/??

-
Back