So much for the Modman....

-
I have learned Edelbrock/Carter carbs don't like open/single plane intakes under them.
I've had good results in dealing with bogs after I installed 2" four-holed spacers under them to increase vacuumsignal to the carbs.
If you have the hood clearance you might want to try that.

I tried a 1" super sucker....it just increased the plenum volume and made things worse....

Thx for the advice but the tests have been done...this post is 'information only'....the intake is a dud.

Its not likely Indy tested anything with the modman , all Indy is there for is to tell you what you dont know and how much they want you to spend on parts that you dont want or need, then when you get them and they dont work they tell you what esle to buy from them to make the wrong part work and in the end you end up with thousands of dollars of parts that you never needed or wanted to begin with ........ please guys deal with anyone but Indy

^^^^^ Tee hee!

Uhcoog.....Eddy dual plane dual quad air gap....already fitted....

7/16ths off the carb pads and it fits fine.

How does the Edelbrock work in comparison?

It's the first feedback I have seen at all.

Hot Rod tested it on a 5.7 or 6.1 and thought it was great. Other guys that have been running it on RBs like it too.

I think it can be "OK" with EFI but there is NO FREAKING way that thing is capable of good carb signal or fuel distribution.

Hot Rod tested it on a 5.7 or 6.1 and thought it was great. Other guys that have been running it on RBs like it too.

I wonder what Indy pays them for the ads in that rag?

No comparison data..wont have for a couple of mths as no race tyres atm

Best I can do is provide feedback on 'driveability' ...such as not falling in a hole when I rug it in top gear....

First point - Hot Rod magazine DYNO tested it.....no track testing or driveability summary.

Like I said...peak hp is only a SMALL part of the story.

Main point - the Modman MAY work better with a large cube motor....there'll be a much stronger signal and it'll gulp more AF mixture each stroke - comparing the fact stroke Gen 3 to an RB is senseless....different port sizes..different cui, different stroke etc.....

I also went to great lenghts to explain that on street radials...you'd never know the problem existed....tyre spin covers a world of problems that the track can reveal......

All great points by Rat Patrol ^^^^

I'm interested to hear what you have to say about the Edelbrock. With that said I'm planning on running a 2x4 ModMan on my 512 440 block so as you said my mileage may vary. Still interesting to see side by side comparisons of the Edelbrock and ModMan intakes.

I will concur regarding driveability issues with the ModMan and a carb setup. That was my original issue when I did the swap as it was the cheapest route I could go to get the engine running. Didn't get any computer/wiring with my engine and didn't have the money to replace both that and make a high pressure fuel system at the time. The XV was nearly twice the price of the ModMan (and potentially even worse for performance) and though the Edelbrock was cheaper than both, it would have required me to buy a second carb, which would have negated any savings.

Overall it ran okay, but didn't transition well. A hard stab of the throttle would make it fall on its face, but a roll into full throttle worked okay and the top end had a decent seat of the pants feel. The fuel injection is worlds apart though. For street driving I don't think the intake is all that bad, but for any kind of performance driving it's a tough sell. I'm sure with enough carb tuning I could have made it better, but I didn't have the parts and was running out of ideas on how to fix the problem when the fuel injection system fell into my lap.

Map63Vette makes a valid point! there are no other options for a carb setup that keeps the monies in prospective!

I have the mod with a 750 vac sec on mine . I have yet to have the car on the road . But having said that . During some run time in the garage . I have issues with cyl 7 and 8 . both have wet plugs after trying the secondary's .

Now Listening to these negative comments about the intake from people makes me wonder?

Fuel pooling was one of the lesser problems I encountered....but this also got worse as I increased the pump shot to compensate for the lean bog.

Going to dual carbs certainly helped distribution and improved my mph....but it still was nowhere near ideal.

I hope to have some driveability data on the Eddy by Sunday US time.

I think a double pumper would have probably helped my transition issue the most. I had a vacuum secondary Carter AFB on mine (was on the 318 that was in the car when I bought it but ran like a treat) and nothing I did with the power springs made any difference. Figured it was an accelerator pump issue since it was quick stabs of the throttle that messed it up, not a roll. Had a hard time trying to figure out if it was too rich or too lean as nothing I did seemed to make any difference and reading plugs on a dual plug head isn't exactly the easiest either. Got an older Holley from a friend in a trade, but part of the linkage hit the top plate and I didn't have a spacer at the time so I never did mess with it. Almost bought a double pumper, but things just didn't quite work out and I think I'm glad it went the way it did as I'm happy with the setup I have now.

For those guys wanting to go carbed with low hood clearance, a cross over IR manifold with Weber side drafts would look mean! It would also come very close to the stock EFI deal, if not better for all out hp plus good driveability.

I think a double pumper would have probably helped my transition issue the most. I had a vacuum secondary Carter AFB on mine (was on the 318 that was in the car when I bought it but ran like a treat) and nothing I did with the power springs made any difference. Figured it was an accelerator pump issue since it was quick stabs of the throttle that messed it up, not a roll. Had a hard time trying to figure out if it was too rich or too lean as nothing I did seemed to make any difference and reading plugs on a dual plug head isn't exactly the easiest either. Got an older Holley from a friend in a trade, but part of the linkage hit the top plate and I didn't have a spacer at the time so I never did mess with it. Almost bought a double pumper, but things just didn't quite work out and I think I'm glad it went the way it did as I'm happy with the setup I have now.

My wide band AF gauge told me exactly what was happening when I stomped on it.....it would swing from 14s at cruise...wildly over to off the scale lean.

And of course the improvements I saw with drilled pump shooters confirmed this.

-
Back