So, my dog ate a popsicle stick....

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

My 3 year old thought the dog wanted a popsicle. So she fed it to the dog. The dog saw me coming to intervene and swallowed the thing whole. Stick and all.

She's about a 50 pounder. Vet says maybe it'll pass, or maybe it'll have to be removed.

If it has to be removed.....

$2500.00

:(

Was going on vacation to Florida in 2 weeks, and that was going to be a stretch as it was.

Anybody ever had their dog eat a popsicle stick, and have it just turn out OK?

For $2500 I would wait and see. I know it sounds bad but thats a lot of money. If you have it to spare than grate but if you don't you don't.

Sorry to here that. Hope shes does ok.

No, but I dropped $1200 on my Rhodesian Ridgeback earlier this year for treatment of a stomach ailment the vet said may have been caused by 'stress'.
Stress????
The only worry in this dog's life is if his next meal is going to be 5 minutes late! He's the biggest 92-pound 3-year old couch-potato you've ever seen.
Stress! Ha!!!

Hope all turns out well with your dog and you're able to head to Florida. Dogs can digest almost anything as long as it's not poisonous like chocolate

Oh crap! I've had my dogs pass some weird stuff before (Rags, glass Christmas ornaments, leather glove) but this doesn't sound good. Hopefully your dogs digestive juices are strong enough to render the stick flexible. If you see blood in his stool (black or red streaks), you've got a big problem. I would wait though. Dogs are pretty amazing when it comes to their healing properties.

Keep us updated.

No, but I dropped $1200 on my Rhodesian Ridgeback earlier this year for treatment of a stomach ailment the vet said may have been caused by 'stress'.
Stress????
The only worry in this dog's life is if his next meal is going to be 5 minutes late!

Lol! That's great! Sounds like Merlin. :cheers:

You have a great point in that dogs can digest almost anything and the chocolate warning is a good one.

Regarding dropped food, you should seen Maxie and I after I dropped a full piece of bread. I felt like I was battling Cerberus, the mythic three headed dog of Hades. After about a minute of trying to get it out of her mouth it became about the principal of the thing, not the bread itself. After about 5 minutes we called it a draw as we each had half.

Stress????
The only worry in this dog's life is if his next meal is going to be 5 minutes late! He's the biggest 92-pound 3-year old couch-potatoe you've ever seen.
Stress! Ha!!!

You have to remember, also, the stress the dog feels the while he/she is getting that drink from the toilet, whether or not the seat is going to fall on it's head!!

FF

When my dogs eat a solid that they shouldn't it usually comes up as barf in the middle of the night once all the real food has digested through.

Steve my old rotwieller would eat sticks usually bout 5 inches long she usually puked em up at night, one time though I did find a plastic letter in her doo. Dogs are amazing at what they can eat and get out. Just watch out for tenderness in the tummy and like was said watch for that blood in the stool.

When my dogs eat a solid that they shouldn't it usually comes up as barf in the middle of the night once all the real food has digested through.

The barf that you find, with your bare feet, in the hallway between your bedroom and the bathroom, at 3 am.

Sound familiar, anyone??

FF

I had a big male chessy that swallowed a whole T-bone from a steak. Dummy didn't even try to chew it he just grabbed it and swallowed it! Never did see it come out of either end, but he lived about another 10 years after that.

same thing happened to my neighbors dog... I wouldnt worry about it im sure it will find its way out somehow... just check the yard when shes done

I'm betting the poopsicle shall pass :cheers:

My pups have eaten the craziest things..... bones, roadkill, etc......I agree, iron stomachs.

Kudos to LXguy for the post and paying attention. :-D

Man, I hope she works it out. :-D I say wait too.

Our girl (golden retriever) likes to eat stones for attention.
Hope she's okay bro. Good luck.

I once had a chocolate lab that would eat anything. He even ate about a quarter of one of those indestrutible water bowls one time. A couple of days later he was walking funny with part of a food bowl hanging out poop chute. I had to help him get the other half out. He lived another 6 years after that. Great dog. Took him everywhere and was the best friend I ever had. Popcicle stick. Thats nothing.

It could go either way. I have a Black lab named Hemi (can't tell I am a Mopar guy lol) he is 112lbs of muscle and has eaten a number of different things. First when he was a pup I spent half of Christmas Eve at the vet because the dumb A$$ at a rock that was the size of a racquetball, $2500 later right at Xmass Ouch. Another time my wife got me a 5 lbs bag of Reeses Pieces Peanut Butter Cups, the small ones that are individually rapped. Well one night we went out and he was pissed we left him at home so he ate the whole bag. I thought for sure the dog was going to be in trouble because of all the chocolate
. Well it didn't bother him in the least except that for two days he barfed up little tinfoil balls and took rainbow colored *****. Good luck with the dog and let us know how you make at as you can see we have all been there.

FYI grapes are also poison to dogs if they eat to many it will shut their kidneys down.

Nikki is the practice manager at a specialty vet hospital just East of Seattle. She says if you are trying to get a dog to pass something you are supposed to feed it bread and cotton balls if there are sharp bits. If it were Frankenmutt we would have it removed just so he didn't get perforated intestines. You can get X-rays done to see if it is still in the stomach and if it is you can have them try to retrieve it by endoscopy (for around $700). She says that $2500 sounds a little on the high side for surgery. Is it a board certified surgeon or just a regular vet? Shop around!

As for chocolate... The darker the worse. It is the coco powder that is toxic in certain amounts. You can feed your dog a whole snickers bar and it might fart a lot but wont kill your mutt.
Chewing gum is pretty bad as well, the xylitol in the sugarless gum is what will kill your dog.

Other bad for your mutt stuff...

Tylenol
Ibuprofen
Huge amounts of garlic and onions, avocado.
Any kind of plant that has "milky blood" like poinsettias.
My moms cooking.
Antifreeze is bad for your dog but is good for your neighbors cat.

Thanks for the tips guys. So far she seems to be doing ok.

I'll be watching closely, but not too closely.

-
Back