Solar Battery Tenders

-

zpsull01

Reaction score
Have any of you permanently mounted and wired a solar powered battery tender into any of your cars? I have a handful of older vehicles and tractors that may sit for a couple months at a time between use. Some of these may require a bit of cranking to get them to fire between starts. I’m normally dealing with batteries running low and having to have at least a jump box on hand to even possibly get them to start. A while back a put quick disconnects on the neg side of everything. That seemed to help but I’m still lacking on some cranking power at times. My thought was to mount a solar tender somewhere like the rear package try and hard wire it in before the disconnect. This should help keep the battery at charge between starts. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? Even though they are only outputting mA’s, is there any chance of overcharging?

Thanks

I used to work at a solar manufacturer designing charging solutions. As long as the charger maintainer is designed properly you should have no problems. I would look for one that is a packaged deal rather than piecing one together.

I got a few vw/audi solar chargers(used on high end cars) so they do not lose their secondary programming//plug into the aux/cigarette port work great !!!

I have them on my HMMWV, HMEE, Atlas2 10k, case/bobcat skidsteers, the TPU skid on my brush truck, etc. I also run a main disconnect on everything.

They work well.

Who parks their collector cars outside all the time?

My newer cars and my Dual Sport live outside . Cuda and Dart live comfy lives

-
Back