Solar

-

Bigdummy

Not a Nova
Reaction score
Was looking into solar power for my shop and the green house.Solar is expensive.Im looking into maybe finding separate stuff instead of buying a kit.I saw some for 50 amps for a camper but I'd like 65 Amps to be safe.Id like to be able to run ac during the day and may be grow lights in the winter and a small heater.As for the shop I don't use it alot .I'm probably going to run cable out to the shop 236 feet.

FB_IMG_1451794469017.jpg
FB_IMG_1451794424116.jpg

I thought you were ahead of this deal. You can run A LOT of copper for the price of solar crap. If burial is a problem, it might be ugly, but consider "overhead" Check local codes. Our old place where I grew up had overhead power from pole to house, to the garage, and from there to the wellhouse and out to the barn for DECADES. Some of it since the house was built in '40. I'm 74, we moved in (it was Gramps) when I was 6 in about 1954.

What I can tell you about solar, is what ever you think you need double or triple it.

I worked in the industry and the sales people always wanted to sell 200watts for a 200watt load.

Problem is the sun is ALMOST NEVER fully shining. And the panels are rarely pointing directly at the sun.

sun produces 1000W per sq meter, the panels are at best 20% efficient, that means at best 200 watts per sq meter.

Are you planning on battery storage?

Systems are not rated by amps.

Watts is the equilizer.

100A at 12v = 1200W

100A at 120v = 12,000W

So a "50A" system is meaningless.

Do more research.

What I can tell you about solar, is what ever you think you need double or triple it.

I worked in the industry and the sales people always wanted to sell 200watts for a 200watt load.

Problem is the sun is ALMOST NEVER fully shining. And the panels are rarely pointing directly at the sun.

sun produces 1000W per sq meter, the panels are at best 20% efficient, that means at best 200 watts per sq meter.

Are you planning on battery storage?

Systems are not rated by amps.

Watts is the equilizer.

100A at 12v = 1200W

100A at 120v = 12,000W

So a "50A" system is meaningless.

Do more research.

And then keep this in mind:
The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) estimates the national average cost of a residential solar panel system at $2.94 per watt.

For context, the per-watt price translates to just under $11,000 for a 5-kilowatt (kW) system, which is the average size of a standard residential solar system in the United States.

The only solar I would ever consider adding to my shop would be skylights.

I put a solar system on my cabin7 years ago, it was half the cost of bringing power in. It is very reliable and when the sun is shining I have more power than I can ever use. The cost has risen since then. For 2 months of the year we don’t get sun and a generator needs to be run to top up the batteries. If you are tied to the grid you will not need batteries. They are expensive and mine are starting to show their age. Power is expensive here so I have saved lots. That is my experience. Cheers

I lived off grid in HI, Had solar. Liked it but the batteries were a PIA on the maintenance. I supplemented them with a 500 W wind generator, made a huge difference in the rainy season.

I put a solar system on my cabin7 years ago, it was half the cost of bringing power in. It is very reliable and when the sun is shining I have more power than I can ever use. The cost has risen since then. For 2 months of the year we don’t get sun and a generator needs to be run to top up the batteries. If you are tied to the grid you will not need batteries. They are expensive and mine are starting to show their age. Power is expensive here so I have saved lots. That is my experience. Cheers
You need to check state by state for grid tie. Last I knew, example, Idaho is not "grid tie friendly" and will not give you squat to "buy back" power. I believe "Dummy" is in TX and I know not what they do

My friend lives off the grid in Northern CA. Couldn't get overhead rights for poles and you can't bury in granite. He has a large solar panel, ~20' x 50' that is supplemented by a 50' tall windmill and a propane generator. I don't know the ratings. It was installed fifteen years ago for $70,000 for the full package. He's on his third set of batteries to the tune of at least $8k for each set. Latest ones were more but are lithium ion so should last longer. He heats with wood and chops at least five cords a year.
The system works OK most of the time but during the winter when it is cloudy a lot he runs the generator to keep the lights on. He'll never get a full return on his investment, but he's happy to be out there so it's a moot point what I think about it.

You also have to consider the cost and longevity of the inverters.

You also have to consider the cost and longevity of the inverters
IMHO

micro inverters are the way to go.

Allows you to add additional panels and micro inverters as you go.

Each micro inverter outputs 120V AC, you can add more up to the capacity of your wires

-
Back