Some sketchy wiring on my Plymouth Duster

-

Dakota Smith

1976 340 Feather Duster
Reaction score
3CBC1319-28C5-48CF-B36E-2319A7C52A7C.jpeg
3D0DCE8A-62A3-4D16-AC35-738FC17CF751.jpeg
F2C2EC19-0F3A-401A-A92B-FFCEE580CC01.jpeg
There’s two wires between the ballister resistor and the starter relay that have been twisted together and I don’t know what they are for or why they we’re done this way. The photos are old, but these two wires are still like this. The others have been fixed. Any clue?

i'm looking at pic 1 and it looks like someone tried to bypass neutral safety switch, does it run? and if so does it start in gear.

Tough to tell from the pics but you have some issues for sure. Lots of open wire insulation and bare wire.
The unplugged connector with brown is usually the ground from neutral safety switch. It appears to be bypassed or replaced but would not be my first concern. Jumping the resistor connectors is not that uncommon when using aftermarket ingnitions.

Is it me or does the starter relay not belong there as well?

the ballister resister is bolted where his relay is at now , someone has hack the engine harness up . maybe they burnt up the fusible link that should be there.

It does not crank with the key. It only cranks when I put a wire from the starter relay to the positive terminal on the battery.

Tough to tell from the pics but you have some issues for sure. Lots of open wire insulation and bare wire.
The unplugged connector with brown is usually the ground from neutral safety switch. It appears to be bypassed or replaced but would not be my first concern. Jumping the resistor connectors is not that uncommon when using aftermarket ingnitions.
The photos are old, I have repaired all the wires, except the ones that the arrow is going to. The brown, unplugged connector is still unplugged though because it does not fit anywhere that I know of.

You have likely got big BIG problems. When wiring burns like that it "crosses" inside the harness by melting insulation and melting two or more wires together. The big wire hooked to the starter relay that is bare goes down to the starter solenoid. I cannot see enough in your other photos to guess. I would just unhook/ unplug pull out the affected harness(s) and nail it down to some scrap plywood. Unwrap it, tying the branches in place, and look for physical damage / melting.

If you don't want to rebuild/ replace all of it AND if it's not too bad, sometimes you can repair them in place, cut out and splice or replace the affected wires.

Wander over to MyMopar and download a free service manual. Some of them there came from the guys on here

Also at MyMopar get yourself one of the aftermarket wiring diagrams on there. These are sometimes easier to follow than the factory diagrams, but are not as detailed

-
Back