Some slant six valve covers

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
Here are some slant six covers and weights.
Resized_20230109_112900.jpeg

Resized_20230109_113016.jpeg

Resized_20230109_113057.jpeg

Resized_20230109_113146.jpeg

Resized_20230109_113218.jpeg

VC Small.JPG

Thanks for the data! If I don't go with a painted cover for my 170 Hyper Pak build, I will go with an aussiespeed....that one looks great despite the weight.

4 pounds isn't going to make much difference.

Now you got me curious what a standard stamped, painted one weighs.

Always a good thread when slant six stuff is being discussed

I have a couple of steel ones, I will do that tomorrow.
I would guess close to the chrome direct connection cover weight.

I'm glad I got my Offy cover when they were "only" around $300. Now they're listed on Summit Racing at a little over 6.

I only had 1 stock cover, it's a 60-62 style with the lower rear part to clear the heater box.
Might be other years, I don't know.
Anyway about the same as the DC Cover.
A little heavier.
Resized_20230110_100413.jpeg

Resized_20230110_100602.jpeg

Sweet! I've been on the hunt for one of the ribbed aluminum covers for quite a while, they are becoming hard to find and crazy expensive!
The Aussie-Speed covers are cheaper than the Offy cover.
I got the raw aluminum cover, cheapest one the have right now.
The US Rep is right here in DFW area.
I had to wait for a shipment but he had the Black one in stock.
Small Town Speed.

I only had 1 stock cover, it's a 60-62 style with the lower rear part to clear the heater box.
Might be other years, I don't know.
Anyway about the same as the DC Cover.
A little heavier.
View attachment 1716033352

View attachment 1716033353
Bravo, I'm happy to see this because I am biased to factory parts. I like to use the standard run of the mill parts that everyone has, when I can :)

7 lb is noticeable and more than I imagined. I have the factory 1964 steel cover and didn't notice 4 lb (recall feels lighter). I painted with the "Metal Coat", which gives an irridescent color. The photo doesn't capture the color well, which is darker and closer to the cap. Notice I used a special silicone gasket which should last forever. The cast aluminum covers allow a more uniform pressure, though you don't tighten much with the silicone. I can't say how that paint survives engine temperatures since haven't driven that car yet (no convertible top yet).

1964 Valiant valve cover.JPG

"Dear Lord, please help me resist the urge to make poor financial decisions..."

dear-lord.PNG

"Dear Lord, please help me resist the urge to make poor financial decisions..."

View attachment 1716056269
There'd be no way in hades I'd get a new Offenhauser valve cover. They're poor quality at best now. I'd look for an older run and buy a used one. @CudaChick1968 can tell you all about the new ones. And I sure as HECK wouldn't pay THAT for one.

There'd be no way in hades I'd get a new Offenhauser valve cover. They're poor quality at best now. I'd look for an older run and buy a used one. @CudaChick1968 can tell you all about the new ones. And I sure as HECK wouldn't pay THAT for one.
I'm not going to pay that much either. What I really want is an old style factory cover with the pressed in ribs like the one in post #9. Paint it with black wrinkle coat and it will look great on the engine (either yellow or red, haven't decided).

I'm not going to pay that much either. What I really want is an old style factory cover with the pressed in ribs like the one in post #9. Paint it with black wrinkle coat and it will look great on the engine (either yellow or red, haven't decided).
I will double check tomorrow in the daylight to make SURE I don't have an extra one. I have one on the engine in Vixen now and one on the 170 I pulled out of her, but I am keeping both those. I don't think I have another one, but if I do I'll let you know. Feel free to send me a reminder if I forget.....because I might. lol

I’be got the Direct Connection one but it’s showing its age .
I’m thinking about blasting it and powder coating it and maybe add a extruded aluminum piece between the ports similar to the dress small block covers

Just curious - in what way are the new Offy valve covers poor quality?

Also, does Offy even make Offy valve covers anymore? Or has production been shifted overseas by a successor company?

I believe I paid around $300 for mine a few years back. Good quality, and what I like about cast aluminum valve covers is they don't leak.

I still have this stock one sitting on the shelf:

1679349102933.png

But a few years ago I replaced it with this Offy:

1679349156804.png

I just really like the Offy's old school look. I also have Offy's on both my small block V8s (one 340, one 360).

Not sure where Offy is having their stuff made, I guess it would surprise me if it was US made.
I got an AussieSpeed one a couple of months ago, it's well made.
With prices for new stuff I thought the 125 I was asking for my D.C. chrome cover was more than fair.
Try to find another one.

Just curious - in what way are the new Offy valve covers poor quality?

Also, does Offy even make Offy valve covers anymore? Or has production been shifted overseas by a successor company?

I believe I paid around $300 for mine a few years back. Good quality, and what I like about cast aluminum valve covers is they don't leak.

I still have this stock one sitting on the shelf:

View attachment 1716066476

But a few years ago I replaced it with this Offy:

View attachment 1716066477

I just really like the Offy's old school look. I also have Offy's on both my small block V8s (one 340, one 360).
Looks like a 225 Commando!

-
Back