Somebody put a regular bolt in there.

-

oldmodlover

Reaction score
Many of you probably know where this is heading.
About 8 months ago l bought a " hot street" rebuilt slant off Craigslist. Owner did not know a lot about it except for what previous owner told him. Supposedly rebuilt with "cam"( aren't they all ?). Unknown head or block work, ( if any).
It did come with an Offy intake and long tube ( van?) headers. - somewhat encouragement.

Finally got it up on an engine stand today.
Popped off valve cover and first thing l see, staring me in the face, is a nice, silver, grade 5 bolt in the rear rocker stand.
No!! They didn't !!!! How could anyone be that stupi....... Yeah. Well, They can, l guess.

Any how. Popped the head off.
Felpro gasket.
Obviously a valve job had been done. Valves sunk in head. No signs of flycut marks on head , so l do not think anything was taken off.

Stock pistons. Fair amount of oil/ carbon build up on top of pistons. Little bit of a ridge at top of cylinder. But not bad.
No flycut marks on block. Most likely nothing taken off there either.

Was secretly hoping to find something a little more "performance" orientated. but....... Oh well.

Motor probably had less compression after the " rebuild" because of sunken valves and thicker head gasket. Lol

Haven't pulled the pan or cam yet. Maybe tomorrow. All this work is taking away from my Keystone lite time.

At least l think l have something decent to start with to actually build a " hot street" motor.

Yeah, I got one of those. "Ran well when pulled'' yeah, 5 cylinders 0 compression.1 with 90 psi.
I guess I should have asked "How long ago did it run ?'' Maybe 20 years ago..

Actually that "regular bolt" is the least of your problems, if it's the right length

Well, huh.
I thought that one required the reduced shank bolt to allow oil flow to the rocker shaft.
Apparently it does not.

Not on the solid lifter engines.

-
Back