Someone help a newby with headliner questions?

-

swingingdart

Reaction score
I had this posted in the interior forum, but I don't think that many people visit it. Please if anyone knows the answers to my questions below, any help is much appreciated!!

Hey folks,
I'm looking to buy the board style headliner as it is what came out of my Dart. Looking at the pictures of the headliners that are for sale, the corners have slits in them. I know this is so the headliner can bow a little, but how do I make that slit look good when I install it? Will it look good on it's own? How do I make the sail panel connection look good?
Just wondering as this is my first headliner! Thanks to everyone.

AFH34-FB17551_zpsapjjj2vf.jpg

That picture is from Rock Auto. Classic industries shows the headliner installed, so I wasn't sure if they both were like that, or if Rock Auto's is a POC. ??

1972 DODGE DART 5.2L 318cid V8 Headliner | RockAuto

Mopar Parts | MA205528 | 1973-76 Dart Swinger / Valiant Scamp Off White Tier Grain Vinyl Headliner Board | Classic Industries

I dunno about those slits. They should close up when you install it, but they will still be there! I had my old one recovered with foam backed material.

I dunno about those slits. They should close up when you install it, but they will still be there! I had my old one recovered with foam backed material.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. My old one looks like it had slits, but they were together and had a seam filler of sorts. Just looked like a line of some kind of filler.
I would have done the same, but a rat decided there wasn't enough holes in it....... :(

The slits just fold together to fit the contour of the roof. The folds overlap. Thats how the factory did it. You won't notice any gaps.

-
Back