Something Really Cool From 'Gearz TV'

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know not everyone is a fan of Stacey David but I enjoy watching his projects and occasionally pick up some interesting information.
On today's "SR-71 Fins, Logo & Mystery Paint" episode, after detailing how they're adapting fins from a '60 DeSoto more-door and tail lights from a '61 Thunderbird to their '59
Ford panel truck, he started talking about the plans to paint the truck when finished.
He mentioned the special radar-absorbing and heat-resistant paint that was used on the SR-71 'Blackbird' and how it was "never existantant" depending on what government official you may talk to. Turns out he claimed to have received several gallons of the paint from some "friends" in the military but couldn't mention anything about the paint since it's still very highly classified and is still used on "certain vehicles".
The last thing he mentioned about the paint was pretty intriguing...claiming it would make your hot rod invisible to radar and nightvision.
"How fast did you say I must have been going, officer? Can you prove that?"
LOL

The guy is 100% full of ****.
Yes the IR paint exists, but it is the material under it that make it undetectable.
A sheet metal fender will show up.

Night vision.......well.....
If we are speaking of just night vision goggles, they are nothing more than light amplification devices. Thus, shapes still exist.

If we are speaking of TIS or FLIR(which he may have been referring)that is a different animal all together. TIS is all about heat. That includes non mechanical pieces as well, like tires etc.

Matte black with no forward facing vertical surfaces and no exposed reflective surfaces like headlights.

Car and Driver did a test in the late 80's.

Works.

Remember those Japanese guys did it in the cannonball run too. Oh wait.....they did get clocked just not seen.

-
Back