somethings not right here

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was running the car in the driveway yesterday and had a big moth on the front of the radiator so I put my hand down in front of the radiator to get it off and I felt air pushing forward out of the radiator. You are supposed to pull air through the radiator, not push it through. Do I have the wrong blade on here. It said it was a standard rotation blade. Its a Derale 17317 blade.

DSC00208.JPG

DSC00211.JPG

DSC00213.JPG

Wow, looks like it could be on backwards, or is it just to early in the morning for me to tell..

Looks backwards to me too. Rotation is clockwise looking at the front of the car.
For best performance the fan should be 3/4" from radiator and 1/2" to 3/4" fan to shroud clearance.

I will revise my first comment, the rotation is correct, it is clockwise. I have had my coffee and my body is awake now.

Good luck

Last edited:
Fan looks backwards to me too.

Fan looks backwards to me too.

That's what I am thinking too but it is the same way on the Dart. Its pushing air out the front of the radiator also. Tyler took the fan to work when we got it and sprayed it black and clear coated it and then brought it home and put it on. I didn't check it. I just wanted another opinion before I pull the radiator out and turn it around. Thanks guys.

Wait, what? Lead edge is forward on the fan isn't it?

looks that way. This fan is different than the one that came off of it in the fact that it has curved edges on it. The pitch is the same as the old one but maybe that one was on wrong. I just know that I am pushing air through the radiator instead of pulling air through it. You should be able to put a piece of paper on the front of the radiator and it should cling to the front. this one isn't doing it. I can feel air blowing out the front on idle.

Flip it all you want,its still going to be wrong. Need a fan with the correct pitch.

Flip it all you want,its still going to be wrong. Need a fan with the correct pitch.

Yep, flipping it won't change the direction.
It's on there the right way anyway.
Looking at it from the way the pic shows engine torques to the right with the fan turning to the left, and that is correct.
Think of it like this, they lift the drivers side fender when you put power to it so the top of the fan turns to the left (looking from the engine side)
I'll bet even though air is kicking out the front there is a TON blowing towards the motor.
To the OP, hold your hand behind the fan about 4 inches above the water pump belt and see how much air you have there. (A crapload I'd bet)
Of course you could always drive it to prove it's ok because at about 45mph it would get hot QUICK.

FWIW, I'm by no means an authority on fan air flow. I do recall noticing something similar on a car I had way back. Air was pulling in from the sides and little or no flow through the center. I didn't pursue it as there was no overheating issue.
I have noticed in other forums a couple recommendations.
.....the shroud should cover the radiator completely.
.....the shroud should have 1/2" clearance around the diameter of the fan blades.
.....the fan should be 2/3 into the shroud and 1/3 out.

BTW, MP recommends 3/4" clearance minimum between radiator and fan.

FWIW, I'm by no means an authority on fan air flow. I do recall noticing something similar on a car I had way back. Air was pulling in from the sides and little or no flow through the center. I didn't pursue it as there was no overheating issue.
I have noticed in other forums a couple recommendations.
.....the shroud should cover the radiator completely.
.....the shroud should have 1/2" clearance around the diameter of the fan blades.
.....the fan should be 2/3 into the shroud and 1/3 out.

BTW, MP recommends 3/4" clearance minimum between radiator and fan.

You can bet your *** I am going to get into it today and get some answers. I have 2 weeks before we leave for the coast.

Yep, flipping it won't change the direction.
It's on there the right way anyway.
Looking at it from the way the pic shows engine torques to the right with the fan turning to the left, and that is correct.
Think of it like this, they lift the drivers side fender when you put power to it so the top of the fan turns to the left (looking from the engine side)
I'll bet even though air is kicking out the front there is a TON blowing towards the motor.
To the OP, hold your hand behind the fan about 4 inches above the water pump belt and see how much air you have there. (A crapload I'd bet)
Of course you could always drive it to prove it's ok because at about 45mph it would get hot QUICK.

I am gonna check that out.

Start the engine up and see if there is air flow on the engine side (like near the thermostat housing) Just watch your fingers.

Maybe use some smoke and a video camera to "see" the flow you're getting at idle.

Betcha you find that you don't have a problem at all, well except what to do today because you don't have to mess with that.:D

Well, I don't understand it. Just looked at the other 3 cars and they have the same pitch and the blades are on there the same way as the Duster is. I know the 69 Plymouth is factory correct because it has not been messed with. Took a sheet of paper and put it in front of the radiator on the Duster and it pulled really good. Not pushing air out the front this morning. It is sucking the paper tight against the radiator. Held my hand behind it above the water pump housing and there was a lot of air coming back. The thermostat is new . Maybe the water pump is going bad, so I just ordered a new Milodon high volume water pump to put on it because I don't think I have ever replaced this one since it was built. I also ordered a new 16" pusher fan just incase I needed it. Anyway, this should cover all the bases. Will let you know how it turns out.

For fucks sake, just pull a coil wire, jumper the starter solenoid with a cheap chinese wrench or screwdriver, and see which way it's spinning.

Smoke? Video Cameras? Sticking your hand down there? Foolishness!

IIRC with Chrysler you got a 5 or 7 blade fan, with the wonky offside blades. Look n' see?
fan-jpg.jpg

THAT FAN IS CORRECT for the direction it turns. Whether it moves enough air is another matter. Put paper over the front it will suck it to the rad

I is also INSTALLED correctly. If you flip it, it will still pull the same direction, but it will be a LOT more inefficient

Unless I'm going blind, here is what you have...........

The left side (approaching the air) is towards the viewer

The right side of the photo the blade is away from the viewer. This is throwing air TO THE REAR

The proper blade cure is that the REAR side of the blade is CONCAVE, which is correct

fan.JPG

Last edited:
For fucks sake, he already knows which way it's spinning.
He's asking why it's not pulling air at idle and appears to be pushing it. Probably a hi /low pressure.

That was directed at the people posting those suggestions.

As far as the OP, until homeboy puts a shroud on it, he's wasting time.

For Fucks Sake.

I was thinking, if it is a fan for a small block Mopar, it should only spin one way, the only way to spin it backwards is possibly a serpentine belt installed incorrectly, or some how some backward spinning (incorrect) fan was installed on a Mopar. Hey look at it his way, drive it, if there is an overheat problem, then start fixing it, don't get into fixing what isn't broken. Then you are into that 'working on it more than driving it" routine. :) I am also thinking when you rev it, it will draw air in.

That was directed at the people posting those suggestions.

As far as the OP, until homeboy puts a shroud on it, he's wasting time.

For Fucks Sake.

What kind of drugs are you on. I would like some of those. if you look back on post #1, you might see a shroud, or maybe not.

-
Back