Son of a @**$&#^

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Just dropped my brand new (two week old) phone in the toilet !

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! I hate when that happens!

Less than a minute the screen went black and it wont come back. Cant power it off cause you have to be able to use the screen to shut it down. Can't open it and remove the battery, cause it's a Motorola Moto 5G Plus, and from what I've read the back isn't removable, nor is the battery. Just got this phone when I switched carriers. Went with Metro by PCS. For some reason they make you buy insurance for the first month, and then you can cancel it after that if you want.
Guess I'll be heading over there tomorrow to see how good the insurance is. Hopefully they will replace it, but don't know for sure what they'll do.
Got the phone for $45 bucks cause I was switching carriers. If I have to just walk in there and buy a new one its like $175 - $200 i think.

Gonna be a long boring night at work without my phone. Its amazing how hooked you get on having all the information in the world right in your pocket when ever you want it.

Not my day I guess. A few hours ago before work, I stopped at Wally world for something. Jumped out of the truck and walked around the back, and walked straight into the trailer hitch.
Damn, that feakin' hurt, it almost brought me to my knees right there in the parking lot. Left a hell of a scrape and a nice bump on the side of my leg. I just took the pain, and kept walking cause there where other people around and I didnt want to cause a scene by falling to the ground and grabbing my leg and screaming it pain. (but believe me I was screaming on the inside).

well that is some **** luck!!

I was going to mention that most new phones are resistant if not water proof, then I looked up your phone and …...well just dang

"Moto G5/Plus is not water-proof (like all its rivals). The smartphone is splash-and dust-resistant only. No, It is not waterproof but It comes with nano coating technology."
https://www.quora.com/Is-Moto-g5-waterproof

I am surprised that anyone would still make a phone that is not water resistant/proof.

My friend has a Galaxy S9+ and she dropped it into a water fountain and it never skipped a beat. If you have to buy another one, you might look for a water resistant/proof one

Hahaha! That sucks!

A buddy of mine did that at work a few years back. He stood up and the phone fell out of his pocket and Plunk! into the toilet. He looked at the phone for a minute floating around with, err, everything else, and flushed it. He wasn't about to fish it out. He had insurance on the phone, so they just gave him a new one.

Drop it into a big bowl of dry rice. The rice will suck out the moisture. Not a permanent fix, but, at least get you going.

My stepdad dropped his old flip phone in a gallon of paint. Took it apart and cleaned it and it works lol.
Good luck!

:rofl: Man that sucks but it is funny! Was it at least your toilet?? If not I would have left that sucker!! No way in hell am I fishing anything out of a public toilet!!
I have a funny story with dripping cellphones in water. Years ago when I got my very first cell phone I think it was 2002 or something like that. I was so excited I got my own cell phone all my friends had them but my parents wouldn't buy me stuff like that. So I was like 16 or 17 and I was working at foodlion making my own money and got this cell phone I dont even remember the name of it now but it was so cool that I got a phone. Less than a week later it just stopped working would turn on or anything. So I took it and got a loner phone it sucked big time it was like one of those huge phones that you see in 90s movies with the 3 foot long antenna. Lol anyway I had that damn loner phone for like 3 months and finally they fixed mine (I think they where unable to fix it and wound up giving me a new one if my memory serves)
So I go get my new phone I'm so excited not to have that crappy loner phone anymore. I head to work less than 3 hours in my shift at work someone drops and breaks something and I go to fill up a mop bucket to clean it up and when I bend over....SPLASH!! My 3 hour old brand new phone drops into the mop bucket I just filled up!! :lol:
It completely ruined it and I had to buy a new phone because a warranty doesnt cover water damage lol

I dropped my S7 on Easter Saturday from 2 feet and it hit the corner just right to crack the screen. My bad luck as it was its first time out of its OtterBox in 2 years as it would not fit in my breast pocket of my nice shirt with its case on that day.
Got a food dehydrator? Bag of rice may work over a week or so but if you find a phone repairman, ask him for a jar of desiccant. Its silica that will dry your hands of you pour it on them. If he gives one up, buy him lunch. Pour it in a bag and drop phone in. your issue may be that the battery has already shorted and opened itself for protection. Everything else is waterproof as the circuit boards go through a bath during manufacturing (speaker/mic and vibrator unknown)

What's weird is I guess its not totally fried. My wife tried to call me a couple times tonight, and it rings, there's just no way to answer it if the screen is blacked out.
Another mistake I guess was not buying a case for it right away. This phone is so slick and shiny looking, feels nice, but damn its hard to hold on to. When I get a new one, or get it fixed, whatever, the first thing i'll do is get a nice grippy rubber case for it so I can hang on to the damn thing.

Wife came back from town, with my new phone. Handed it to me and i put it in my shirt pocket.
Up on the rafters i go back to framing a roof. In ten minutes or less, i leaned over and it slid out and plummeted to the concrete 10 feet below. It wasnt smart at all, cover popped off,battery popped out. Three pieces on cement. Shoulda kept the old moto flip phone.
It had some scars but otherwise survived.
Now in my 3rd iphone in 8 ish years,insurance on every one.
One died before contract ran out.
Always like new when im done with them,in the otterbox from day one.

Damn, that feakin' hurt, it almost brought me to my knees right there in the parking lot. Left a hell of a scrape and a nice bump on the side of my leg. I just took the pain, and kept walking cause there where other people around and I didnt want to cause a scene by falling to the ground and grabbing my leg and screaming it pain. (but believe me I was screaming on the inside).
been a while since I whacked my shin on something, but when you do...:mad::mad::mad: I can feel it aching again just reading your post!

This kinda reminds me of when we were on vacation the the beach a few years ago.

My wife were in the jacuzzi hot tub on the property and I stopped by to see how they were doing. I looked into the tub and asked my wife what that glow was at the bottom of the tub.

She freaked out! It was her brand new iPhone that had been sitting on the edge of the tub a short time ago.

She grabbed it up and I told her not to press any buttons. I took it (still on) and shook the water out of it. Then I stuffed it into the air conditioning vent and left it alone for a couple of hours.

It eventually shut itself off and I left it in the AC vent over night. The next day (without turning it on) I put it in a ziplock bag with a cup of uncooked rice and sealed it up. 24 hours later, I put it on the charger and let it completely recharge.

The phone was saved and worked fine. She still has it 4 years later and it has never had an issue.

You dropped your phone in the toilet??? Sounds like a shitty phone...

Just dropped my brand new (two week old) phone in the toilet !

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! I hate when that happens!

Less than a minute the screen went black and it wont come back. Cant power it off cause you have to be able to use the screen to shut it down. Can't open it and remove the battery, cause it's a Motorola Moto 5G Plus, and from what I've read the back isn't removable, nor is the battery. Just got this phone when I switched carriers. Went with Metro by PCS. For some reason they make you buy insurance for the first month, and then you can cancel it after that if you want.
Guess I'll be heading over there tomorrow to see how good the insurance is. Hopefully they will replace it, but don't know for sure what they'll do.
Got the phone for $45 bucks cause I was switching carriers. If I have to just walk in there and buy a new one its like $175 - $200 i think.

Gonna be a long boring night at work without my phone. Its amazing how hooked you get on having all the information in the world right in your pocket when ever you want it.

Not my day I guess. A few hours ago before work, I stopped at Wally world for something. Jumped out of the truck and walked around the back, and walked straight into the trailer hitch.

I have dropped my phone in the dogs water bowl a couple of times , and in the toilet right after I took a whiz , the worst part was getting it out, tying to hurry and couldn`t get my figures under it . No telling how many times its been dropped period. It is working pretty good but wont keep my settings on it .

Drooped mine in three weeks after I got it in 2012.
Had to suppress the "ewww" reflex, and reached in for it almost immediately.
Took off the battery cover, removed the battery and let it dry.
Surprisingly it wasn't wet inside.
2 hours later, put it back together and it's still my phone six years later.

if you let it sit submerged, that's when you get the water inside.

Next time, before ya' go...…..
upload_2019-4-30_7-50-10.png

Since you are in maintenance, I'm going to assume you were not actually on the toilet.

When I'm around a public toilet my phone is not in my hand.
When I walk in to a bathroom and someone is sitting on the toilet using their phone...............................................remind me not to borrow their phone.

So started the process of making an insurance claim on the phone.

They’ll replace it, for a $100 deductible. For a phone that cost me $49.99 Got it cheap because I was changing carriers.
So now I’ll have $149 in it, and in a couple days I’ll have a new one showing up in the mail.
Just have to be more careful with the new one.

Drooped mine in three weeks after I got it in 2012.
Had to suppress the "ewww" reflex, and reached in for it almost immediately.
Took off the battery cover, removed the battery and let it dry.
Surprisingly it wasn't wet inside.
2 hours later, put it back together and it's still my phone six years later.

if you let it sit submerged, that's when you get the water inside.
Agree, I disinfected mine and put iy in a bowl of rice after turning it off, been about 4ish yyrs . ???

-
Back