Sound deadening, Carpet, and floor pan repair questions

-
I put the Noico stuff in my trunk, even in the spare tire well. Then I covered it with some of that stretchy speaker box carpet. Turned out looking nice and seems to have cut down the exhaust noise. Since I have ac and run with the windows up most of the time, the car is pretty quite with the windows up. Not as much with them down.

I used KILLMAT on mine. Look through my thread. I did the same to my 64, but with the rear floor pans. I painted mine with a couple of thick coats of Rustoleum and them put KILLMAT on top. It rides so quiet, you cannot even tell it has an engine in it. I don't have to turn the radio up loud to hear it at all and can hear my wife talking to me.....and I'm hard of hearing.

1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"
Hey Rob, I’m considering doing this same thing in my Duster in the next week or so. I’ve read about some “issues” with rustoleum taking up to several weeks to fully cure/harden. What was your experience with that? Did you add any type of hardener to the paint or just slap her on right outta the can?

Hey Rob, I’m considering doing this same thing in my Duster in the next week or so. I’ve read about some “issues” with rustoleum taking up to several weeks to fully cure/harden. What was your experience with that? Did you add any type of hardener to the paint or just slap her on right outta the can?

It did take about a week total. And no, I talked to Rustoleum and they said no hardeners. They said I could have opted to thin it with mineral spirits. I'm actually glad I didn't because it went on really thick and that's what I was after, even if accidentally. lol

I agree it seems like Rustoleum never really dries hard.
I have been using spray bombs of VHT epoxy paint from Oreilly's, the stuff dries
fast and hard.

Does it really matter if it dries completely before you cover it with Dynamat? Maybe it will make it stick better.

Floor pan repairs have started. Ordered the auto body specialties stamped pans. 18 ga steel, good quality pans. They are damn near identical to the original pans that we’re cutting out, just a whole lot less rusty. After this, I’ve got 80 mil Kilmat for the entire floor and door panels, and ordered 525-Maroon carpet from Stock Interiors. The old carpet is nasty.

2F4AF094-5A2E-41FC-90C9-B4A2DF4A0289.jpeg
E0F16E59-D2E4-4326-9C88-7F5D7CA52096.jpeg
D1C7AC45-6264-4D02-86C8-253964C932CE.jpeg
3102856C-9BBC-42AC-B5FB-7B98082E290A.jpeg
4BB3C9C0-B0C2-434C-B2C2-3EF7178DE477.jpeg

Here are some update photos with the first section in. Seam sealer between the old and new panel, screwed in, then spot welded at each hole created by the screw, and then the seams are being welded. It’ll be solid. All of this will get painted, then have 80mil Kilmat applied over it and the underside will be painted too.
2CDF70E3-76EA-453E-B866-3FD4B01FF719.jpeg
8448CB02-B032-47FF-8CAF-9D86FDF2C1EE.jpeg

Here are some update photos with the first section in. Seam sealer between the old and new panel, screwed in, then spot welded at each hole created by the screw, and then the seams are being welded. It’ll be solid. All of this will get painted, then have 80mil Kilmat applied over it and the underside will be painted too.
View attachment 1715692744 View attachment 1715692745
Are sure this is not an advertisement for Dewalt power tools? LOL

-
Back