Sous vide recipes

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
My daughter showed me how they save a bunch of money on their groceries, they use a sous vide immersion cooker. The food is either vacuum sealed or air is displaced in a good ziplock bag. The unit's is set to the desired temp and with the bag in the water, forget about it till it is done. Will never overcook or dry out. Bought the cheapest meat and 1-48 hours later, depending on cut and type of meat, you remove it, and finish it off how you like it. A lot better than a crock pot. Looking for recipes that others have used.
sous-vide-safe.jpg

I try to stay away from plastic, especially when heat is involved.

I got one last year. It does make a tougher cut more palatable. I do like shown, put fresh herbs in the bag depending on the type of meat or just simple seasoning, keeping the salt to a minimum. I you google sous vide there are tons of recipes for just about anything you can imagine. It really worked well on the last cuts of venison I had in the freezer. I think I like crisping it in a cast pan better, but the grill works too. It looks like crap when it comes out of the bag.

I got one a while ago and am a big fan. I get it that some may think this is not cooking, but I disagree. When cooking a 2" thick cut of VERY expensive steak, anyone that is not a stone cold expert will have a hard time (as in no chance) getting it done all the way through without burning the outside. In the sous vide cooker, it comes out at 125 degrees, and yes it looks awful. I have a really hot cast iron skillet ready, add some butter, flash sear the outside and I have a perfect steak. I'm a scratch cook for the last 53 years and I have no shame using this on a really good steak.

To the OP, I usually season the steak nicely with coarsely ground salt and pepper, then add a sprig of rosemary, thyme, or maybe both to the bag. I use gallon baggies with all the air burped out. Works like a charm.

Sous Vide is a great way to cook meat...but it needs to to be followed with a reverse sear to make it perfect. The meat is cooked just right, but the reverse sear adds the carmelization and crispness necessary to make it great.

Like all good cooking techniques, it requires a total approach to make it the best it can be.

Oh, you are speaking French, and DIY did not call you a bunch of queers. Don’t worry he will!

Youtube is recipe heaven. A local chicken processing has truck load sales. 40 lb box of fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts for 50 dollars. I forget what we paid for 40 lbs of thighs, 40 lbs of wings. We split all this with our daughter. Freezers full of chicken.
We have found copy cat recipes for Ingles chicken salad, Tysons Grilled and Ready, Chic-Fil-a, and much more.

-
Back