Southern Polyurethanes. Any one use them?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone used these folks?

http://southernpolyurethanes.com/

I just ordered their 50/50 makes 2 gallons of metal etching epoxy primer.

I am really looking forward to coating everything in the world with epoxy. Heck I may epoxy the cows in the adjacent field.

They do not charge tax or shipping from what I can tell. The pricing was great. They were professional and on the ball with quality advice. I think it was like 150 for the 2 gallons yield mixed. They sell clear coats, various primers, so, if this epoxy seems solid, i may investigate their clears and surfacer primers as well.

I am going to sand blast some welds where my front end was grafted. Then epoxy primer then bondo-glass followed by surfacer primer. I will probably spot epoxy primer in layers while doing body work to keep the bare metal spots sealed. I am fair at body work but will at least keep the rust off the metal by using the epoxy as the base.

:cheers:

Attachments

• DSCN0919.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 922
I used there epoxy primer after I had the car sand blasted, This stuff works great, lays down nice and bites in like you wont believe. It puts up a good fight when trying to remove it later on..... If you check out my build in members restorations there lots of pics of it in use .......................... 73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

member daves66valiant raves about the stuff. He really likes kit.

Barry at SPI is the most awesome customer service guy in the paint business. Hands down!!!! I love their products. Top notch quality for a fraction of the price for PPG stuff. I would venture to say the quality is better. The Epoxy lays down amazing, their 2K primers are awesome and the Universal Clear flows so nice. I was a total newbie when I started and Barry walked me through every step. He is the actual chemist who makes the product. He does not bullshit you ever and you can call him anytime even on his cell phone.

Here are some of my results and you be the judge.

Black Epoxy
epoxyonfendersandhood018.jpg

epoxyonfendersandhood019.jpg

epoxyonfendersandhood014.jpg

epoxyonfendersandhood017.jpg

Straight out of the gun Universal Clear

shellcleared004.jpg

base_clearhoodanddecklid019.jpg

Six coats of clear and cut/buffed

P1010880.jpg

P1010860.jpg

P1010887.jpg

P1010889.jpg

P1010892.jpg

Car is not done yet but the paint came out great IMO.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the pictures. Your panels are quite inspiring. That primer appears to lay down fine and smooth. Those cleared panels are unbelievable in both uniformity and mirror finish. Dave, is that black epoxy primer thinned at all? What gun, tip and pressure settings did you use please?
Thanks for the replies folks :)

I used there epoxy primer after I had the car sand blasted, This stuff works great, lays down nice and bites in like you wont believe. It puts up a good fight when trying to remove it later on..... If you check out my build in members restorations there lots of pics of it in use .......................... 73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

A just amazing amount of perseverance. What color of spi epoxy is that? Grey I suppose. It looks sky blue.

The first 2 coats are 1:1. The final sealer coat after denibbing is 1:1:1. I used a Iwata LPH-400 silver cap with 1.4 tip. Barry suggests a 1.4!!! Pressure about 29-32 and wide open fan and fluid about 2.5-3 turns. Lays down supper nice. When mixed 1:1 it's like clear. 1:1:1: it's like laying base. Love this stuff. Check out his "perfect paint job". I followed it to the T.

The first 2 coats are 1:1. The final sealer coat after denibbing is 1:1:1. I used a Iwata LPH-400 silver cap with 1.4 tip. Barry suggests a 1.4!!! Pressure about 29-32 and wide open fan and fluid about 2.5-3 turns. Lays down supper nice. When mixed 1:1 it's like clear. 1:1:1: it's like laying base. Love this stuff. Check out his "perfect paint job". I followed it to the T.

Okay, I will. Thank you for the details!

An update on the SPI epoxy primer. I have used it on some of my car engine bay and also on a hand truck dolley. This stuff is like concrete. I wanted to sand blast some back off on my engine bay to do some body work and it is like well, epoxy. The paint and rust adjacent to my primer was coming off quickly, and the epoxy was latched on indestructible big time. Excellent adhesion to sand blasted metal.

I have now used their normal 2k surfacer primer as well. Easy to sand and excellent fill. I usually let it sit a day before sanding to allow it to lock up completely.

Will post pics here soon. :)

Reminder to myself that I can paint. Lol. Lost my painting notes for the SPI epoxy. Bam. FABO search result to the rescue. Hoping to get similar results with single stage on my 68 engine bay. Won’t be as glossy since it’s SS.

Another thumbs up for epoxy, 2k and their clear. Here is my bayin epoxy and their universal clear. Two coats of clear un cut or buffed. Also, Barry is so aweaome. I have a Devilbiss Tecna Prolite. He helped me setup my gun. BTW, this is my first time spraying base/clear.

IMG_20181021_193519809.jpg

IMG_20181020_221536012.jpg

How much of the universal clear would I need for the entire car? Were it mixes 1:1 2 quarts would make a gallon and a gallon would make 2 gallon. Is one gallon of clear enough for the whole car?
Also would this work ok over a lacquer basecoat??

How much of the universal clear would I need for the entire car? Were it mixes 1:1 2 quarts would make a gallon and a gallon would make 2 gallon. Is one gallon of clear enough for the whole car?
Also would this work ok over a lacquer basecoat??

A gallon should be plenty, mixing into 2. I'm not sure about laquer. Shoot Barry (the owner) a text and he'll answer. He is awesome at giving advice and support.

(404) 307-9740

I did a gallon kit. It was more economical that way. Plus I did an entire car inside and out. And I did 6 coats on the exterior. A gallon kit was plenty.

I did a gallon kit. It was more economical that way. Plus I did an entire car inside and out. And I did 6 coats on the exterior. A gallon kit was plenty.
If I was just doing the outside of the car do you think 2 quarts (mixes into 1 gallon) would be enough?

Depends on how many coats you are talking. 2 coats clear just on the outside I think you could get away with it. You would be surprised how much you can go through in a short time.

I wouldn’t use it over a lacquer unless you want to risk delamination. Better yet..... ask Barry about it and coverages. See number above. They are nice people to talk to.

Depends on how many coats you are talking. 2 coats clear just on the outside I think you could get away with it. You would be surprised how much you can go through in a short time.

I wouldn’t use it over a lacquer unless you want to risk delamination. Better yet..... ask Barry about it and coverages. See number above. They are nice people to talk to.
I have to check I'm not 100 percent sure if it's a lacquer base or not I was just asking to make sure. After our conversation back in the fall I scraped my original plan with the dtm primer decided to take your advice(as well as others) and go with the spi epoxy primer instead of the stuff I had bought. I actually just sold it on Ebay today. It had been on there for sale since September when we last spoke about it and it never sold. But I woke up this morning and it was sold!! Talk about timing lol. Anyway after alot of research I decided to go ahead and use the spi clear coat as well. Which left me with a basecoat. The paint that I found is only available as a kit with clear so that wasnt gonna work. But then I found company that sold factory original touch up paint and low and behold they sell pint quarts and gallons of basecoat in orginal colors and its supposed to be really good paint. I don't want to to hijack this thread so I will start a new one or we can discuss it more thru the PM and I can send you a link.

-
Back