Spare Motors...gotta have a couple.

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
With 4 cars running gotta have a few spares.

Early block 360 bored .030 with KB741 pistons zero decked. Internally balanced stock crank with some brand of H beam rods...kind of lite at 630 grams. Using an old MP .571 Oval cam that been sitting in box for years with new lifters. Will get SM CNC heads with Pac 1903 springs with Crane rockers. Holley SD intake manifold. Should have it wrapped up by the end of the week as I have all the parts on hand.

Block had KB107 .020 had been used in 75 Duster for a short time. Put it in 71 Duster for spare while 408 was fixed. I never seen an engine with so much blow by in my life...LOL....So we upgraded it.

20200823_121703_resized.jpg

20200823_121715_resized.jpg

20200823_121709_resized.jpg

This one will more then likely not be a spare...lol

360 bored .040 waiting for scat 4340 4inch crank to come back from machine for balancing. Has Wiseco Flat top pistons. Scat I beam Rods. Will have a Howards Flat tappet cam if it every get here been on order now for 6 weeks...lol
Crane rockers....Eddy Victor 340 intake......Heads.....now that is the question.....This engine had a set of Eddy that ran pretty fast here in Vegas....but might go big...and get a set of TF for it.......Have to flip a coin on it.....

There is a complete 408 with TF heads waiting to go into 71 Dart.....and that 360 will be placed on the reserve list....

Trying to stay busying with no racing ......Will have to take car to Bakersfield .....either end of Sept or Oct/Nov

We have the Street Car Super National in middle of November that race sucks as it never ends....lol...they get so far behind schedule....

20200823_121742_resized.jpg

SCSN.... the way this years gone, might as well get sucked back into that cluster!

guess I’d never given it much thought, but all your cyl heads allow you to use the same headers?

SCSN.... the way this years gone, might as well get sucked back into that cluster!

guess I’d never given it much thought, but all your cyl heads allow you to use the same headers?

Jay....yes....same header...intakes...rockers....standard LA crap.....

the w2 stuff is still in the shed....lol.....

might head over to bakersfield and catch the last bracket race weekend....I want to see how fast the 360 in Tonya Dart will run....the old one ran 10.31 there....then come back in Oct or Nov with the 408 with the TF heads.

Had another Joe Biden moment.......So i got two engines torn apart next to each other.....parts in separate card board boxes.....all the little nuts and bolts...water pump...timing chains crap....anyway...
Both crankshafts are standing on end next to each other...both say 10/10 on them....so last tuesday the machine shop calls and says the block is done....and give me 3 T shirts for me and the girls.....no charge...LOL....

anyway....i get home...bored..I washed the block....get it all cleaned up......hey...I am going to throw the crank in this sucker.....drop in crank...torque it down...done for the day

during the week...i get the pistons and rods mounted...spiro locks again...get rings filed and all loaded on pistons...ok...this weekend they go in...

put the pistons in...odd bank...get no. 7 in....crank motor over ...no. 7 sticks out of bore 1/4 inch....WTF....i keep turning...they all do....Holy Bat ****...
Wrong crank.....4 inch stroke instead of 3.58.....LOL...

Ok...baby its hot outside....

Got the old MP 571 solid lifter cam in the engine.....degreed in on 1st shot...put it in 4 degrees advanced at 102.......buttoned up the front end...checked the balancer to make it sure it was at Zero....
touched up the paint.....and headed home soaking wet.......

Tomorrow ....oil pump and oil pan...

yes..i did get the cam bolt in before i put the cover on....lol....Slow Joe not there today

20200824_165752_resized.jpg

20200824_154714_resized.jpg

why are you suppose too?

yes....but this is the same crank and bearing that was in the engine previously......

melling hv72 pump on....moroso deep pan on......cleaned up the heads....

not torqued down yet.......

gotta go eat some cake over at my red heads house....birthday cake...lol

20200825_172909_resized.jpg

20200825_172918_resized.jpg

I have a 318 that is a long block and a 340 with J heads in pieces. the 340 I have to start cleaning it up and see if it needs bored, and the crank needs machining I am just now thinking about building it,doesn't make sense to have it laying around in pieces.

Last edited:
Ok...baby its hot outside....

Got the old MP 571 solid lifter cam in the engine.....degreed in on 1st shot...put it in 4 degrees advanced at 102.......buttoned up the front end...checked the balancer to make it sure it was at Zero....
touched up the paint.....and headed home soaking wet.......

Tomorrow ....oil pump and oil pan...

yes..i did get the cam bolt in before i put the cover on....lol....Slow Joe not there today

View attachment 1715583822

View attachment 1715583823
Do I spy a bolt missing from the cam retaining plate?

funny about the bearing clearance question. I have overhauled engines where I checked "one of each" with plastiguage and went for it...

One of each meaning one rod and one main.;) you can take a leaf of faith if you know your crank is in god condition

Another hot day in the garage.....but gotta get a few things done....

Torqued the studs down....wow....got the lifters in....pushrods in.....got the rockers on and bolted down....did not get to adjust lash yet...

Had to stop and look at the rockers as I thought I had a mixed set of 1.6 on intake and 1.5 on exhaust be they are all 1.5.....have to go look at my stock pile and see if I got any 1.6s left......should have....

but this is just a back up motor....anyway.....tomorrow...adjust lash then back off the shafts....clean valve covers...and clean up Holly SD intake...then that should wrap it up for now

Gotta work on a 904 next week.....need to remove pump and replace stator sealing rings....put in teflon sealing rings...

20200826_163533_resized.jpg

Last edited:
actually i have one 71 440 engine in the shed....been there about 30 plus years...got a few set of BB heads...and a couple of 440 cranks....

Show off! Haha just kidding! Nice collection. I have a collection of spare engines too for future builds but all of mine need gone thru. I do have one 360 magnum that runs but it's all original with over 200k miles on it it needs to be gone thru too. I have big plans for it.

I've got a couple that I'm hoarding. All need rebuilt, but we're running when pulled many years ago.
1963 383 never been apart that will get a 440 crank and rods - slated for my 68.
1969 383 HP never been apart.
1983 360 never been apart.
2 late 70''s 360 short blocks. Both disassembled.
Had a couple of untouched 440''s and a 383 that I sold last year before we moved.

I have a roller 318 block wrapped up in the corner. I saved a steel 273 crank but I won't use it if I put in a 4" throw one.

-
Back