Spare Tire Cover Board

-

DavidW

Reaction score
My first new car was a 1969 Dart Swinger 340. Its spare tire cover board was tan in color. I am now restoring a 1968 GTS and wondering if OEM was always tan, or some other color. CI has a fiberboard repo, but the color is black. Can somebody school me on this? Thanks.

There are two different boards both are tan press board. On 340 cars use a smaller round one because the tire sticks above the tire tub due to being wider wheel needed for disc brake cars. The big square cover the edges will eventually rip through the trunk mat because it sticks above the floor. Just what I have seen over the years of using the trunk.

Tan board in 67 dart. One side has hatch texture the other is smooth

There are two different boards both are tan press board. On 340 cars use a smaller round one because the tire sticks above the tire tub due to being wider wheel needed for disc brake cars. The big square cover the edges will eventually rip through the trunk mat because it sticks above the floor. Just what I have seen over the years of using the trunk.
I'll look for a the smaller one. My early GTS had 14x4.5 wheels, but I found some 14x5.5 wheels, same as my 69 Swinger had. Thanks for your info,DW.

-
Back