SPARE TIRE WELL OR NOT

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
My spare tire well on my 67 barracuda is rusted out. Bad I have a replacement for it. I got to thinking maybe i will eliminate the spare tire well but how is that going to effect the gas tank. ok Well maybe i will put in an aftermarket tank in. Has anyone done this ?

I will say this. I have had a spare tire in my spare tire well for over 20 years that I only used one time, and that was just to be able to move my car in and out of the garage for a few days while waiting for a new tire. I would feel comfortable without a spare if that is what you decided to do.

I will say this. I have had a spare tire in my spare tire well for over 20 years that I only used one time, and that was just to be able to move my car in and out of the garage for a few days while waiting for a new tire. I would feel comfortable without a spare if that is what you decided to do.
yea all the cars ive had in the past i never had one

And that one time, I wish i had just kept the spare tyre, spends the next 3+ hours trying to get the car home haha.

I must be snake bit I have had plenty of flats, but I have been driving for 57 years, but I admit most on trailers!!! Personally I would want the floor put back like it came factory. Spare or no spare. The gas tank is made to fit that floor well, unless you just butcher it with some oddball tank. Just my 2 cents.

Unlike 68 and later, The 67 has one tank strap left to right, attached to frame rails. Deleting that spare tire well should have no effect on the fuel tank. A different/larger tank could be doable if you can work out the filler neck fitment. The black plastic tank under a 96 Cherokee looked like it could work once the spare well is deleted. of course its 2 front to back straps would need to be used. There is a section of rubber hose between the filler door and tank so maybe a custom made hose?
Typical radial tire wont fit under the cover board but a space saver spare will. The hook on that 67 bumper jack is hardly a hook. I did use it once many years ago. I hope to never use it again.

Carry a can of fix a flat . I cut mine out still working on sheet metal.

Yeah I’d be totally comfortable if you decided not put in a spare tire either as I won’t be the one wishing you did when you need it. :poke:

If you have a sure grip, for a spare to be useful on the back, it needs to be about the height as a back tire. The spare tire well is not really big enough for that in some cases. Just another reason that a spare might have limited value.

I put one back in my 75 Dart Sport after the po carved it out and put a fuel cell in the trunk. I wanted to return it to the original tank and without the tire well I didn't think the tank would stay in place properly. As for a spare or not, I don't have one at the moment.

I have 17s on it. I dont think the spare will fit lol Any of you have an aftermarket tank ? How did you do the neck & what about the sending unit

I would wonder if the shape and structure of the spare tire well doesn't contribute to the rigidity of the back of the unibody in ways that a flat piece of sheetmetal would not... whether you put a spare in it is another question.

Yeah I’d be totally comfortable if you decided not put in a spare tire either as I won’t be the one wishing you did when you need it. :poke:
LMAO. You're probably right. After 20 years of not needing a spare, if I got rid of mine, I'd probably have a flat tire every week. Murphy's law.

I have 17s on it. I dont think the spare will fit lol Any of you have an aftermarket tank ? How did you do the neck & what about the sending unit
A member here cut out the floor, patched it in flat across and mounted a 68-70 B Charger tank.

How about a compromise, put your flat floor in and run a tyre carrier like in a jap ute.

I put one back in my 75 Dart Sport after the po carved it out and put a fuel cell in the trunk. I wanted to return it to the original tank and without the tire well I didn't think the tank would stay in place properly. As for a spare or not, I don't have one at the moment.
I dont recall the tank sits tight against the spare well. Tank might move farther in a accident without the well.

A member here cut out the floor, patched it in flat across and mounted a 68-70 B Charger tank.

I did that after speaking to another member that did it (but provided zero pictures of his install). It’s not as easy as that. The rear crossmember has to be modified heavily to fit the 68-70 B body tank. As in, an entirely new section of crossmember has to be welded in. The B-body straps are also quite different, I lengthened my A-body straps.

I’d file that one under “can be done”, but it’s not as nearly as easy as just welding in a flat piece of sheet metal and strapping in the B-body tank.

I'd leave the spare tire well in just for resale value alone if you need it at some point.
I agree. Stock may not be perfect but it is what most buyers will expect.
If your fabrication and welding skills are such that you can make it look like a factory job, that is great. I like modifications that look original.

I did both, lost the well (correct height spare would never fit) and had a steel cell made to fit....not shown in the picture, there is a bolt down strap across the top and down the sides and 2 across the bottom and up.

20160225_115534.jpg

20160225_115435.jpg

20141013_184723.jpg

I deleted mine. I still have it. Whats your state? Milton WA isnt far from me. I went flat floor and used a 68 charger tank. Ill probably go with a mini pump and a plug kit 4x4 style to get by.

My spare tire well on my 67 barracuda is rusted out. Bad I have a replacement for it. I got to thinking maybe i will eliminate the spare tire well but how is that going to effect the gas tank. ok Well maybe i will put in an aftermarket tank in. Has anyone done this ?
Well you know the old saying it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it just a thought
Joe

flat bottom. I hacked off and folded the 68-70 charger (efi) tank to clear the *** end. Stock filler tube, although not proven. Leaves room for exhaust. Post minitub.
20201212_081331.jpg

-
Back