Spare tire well replacement question

-

72wedge

Reaction score
The bottom of the spare tire well in my 70 duster is rusted out pretty bad. I’m looking into buying the replacement panel from Sherman but I’m wondering how far up the spare tire well the new panel will go.

has anyone replaced their spare tire well with a new panel? And, how far up does the new panel go? A couple inches or all the way up to the flat point of the trunk?

hope that makes senses lol. Thanks

The bottom of the spare tire well in my 70 duster is rusted out pretty bad. I’m looking into buying the replacement panel from Sherman but I’m wondering how far up the spare tire well the new panel will go.

has anyone replaced their spare tire well with a new panel? And, how far up does the new panel go? A couple inches or all the way up to the flat point of the trunk?

This is how I did my 65.
Norm

Barracuda trunk.jpg

Barracuda trunk1.jpg

Barracuda trunk2.jpg

Barracuda trunk3.jpg

Barracuda trunk4.jpg

Barracuda trunk5.jpg

Barracuda trunk6.jpg

barracuda blue bottom.jpg

My humble opinion- Go to AMD and buy the whole part that goes between the frame rails you will have a tad more work but in the end it will look, fit and be better.
Typically the spare tire floors only go up an inch or two and even then they are not a straight cut. I’ve done a few and had to add material as they never rust thru just on the bottom floor.

My humble opinion- Go to AMD and buy the whole part that goes between the frame rails you will have a tad more work but in the end it will look, fit and be better.
Typically the spare tire floors only go up an inch or two and even then they are not a straight cut. I’ve done a few and had to add material as they never rust thru just on the bottom floor.

Yea thats what I'm afraid of. Once I get to removing the rusted portion, I end up finding it goes up a little higher than I anticipated. Thank you for the advice, I think I'll follow your recommendation. Its better to have a little more and not need it, than not have enough.

I did just the bottom of mine with the car on jack stands. It was like the garageaerobics, up, down, up, down over and over and over. Weld the inside, check the outside, weld the outside, check the inside. A never ending parade of pinholes. Don't forget you have to get the spare tire mount because the gas tank hangs from it.

I was too old for that crap and it honestly took something out of me. It would've been more work to do the whole trunk floor, but at least it would have all been done standing up.

Take a good look at the trunk pan right where the leaf spring shackles bolt up. Thats where they always rust out....at least around here. It may be wiser to do the whole trunk pan and be done if there is other rust.
I think it would be less work to do a whole pan then patching in the tire well. It will certainly look cleaner when completed.

I would highly highly recommend just doing the whole pan. Like Mike said, it'll look cleaner and be easier.

I made the mistake of thinking it would be much easier to just change out the bottom of the spare tire well and about halfway through I regretted making that decision and should have just spent a few more bucks and could have gotten the thing done seamlessly and in half the time.

-
Back