Specifics on the 4 speed in the Hemi cars

-

savoy

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed but specifically what did the hemi dart/cuda run for 4 speeds. I know it was an 18 spline 833 with steel bellhousing and that the transmission was "slick shifted", but what shifter mechanism, shifter handle ect was used. I have the correct reverse lock out, but was wondering what shifter handle, ect I need if I put this car together? I called Brewers but they really didn't know what was correct back in the day. And also where would one obtain the correct mechanism, handle, ect.? Thanks in advance for your input.

heres the shifter and the shifter mounting bracket and lock out
I will take some pictures of the rods

fullsizeoutput_1b39.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b38.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b5e.jpeg

Yes, they were welded not bolt on handles. Jamie from Passon knows a guy who has one. He asked for me and his friend was not willing to sell. There is a very close equivalent Hurst handle available in the aftermarket.

Yes, they were welded not bolt on handles. Jamie from Passon knows a guy who has one. He asked for me and his friend was not willing to sell. There is a very close equivalent Hurst handle available in the aftermarket.
Thanks for the reply. I am in communication with Jamie.

I will take some pictures of the rod QUOTE

On the original so-called DVFX Shifter, do you know if the reverse shifter lever was straight, or slightly hooked like on the normal A-Body shifter?
Also if holes on the shifter levers were larger, and needed bushings to fit the rod buttons?

I have a brand new NOS Super Stock 4 speed trans for sale if you were looking for a correct trans. Pm me if interested.

well, personally I ´m going to use an over the counter (no #:s e.i.) 18-spine A-Body unite I found many years ago, but thanks...

I will take some pictures of the rods

View attachment 1715098040

View attachment 1715098041

View attachment 1715098042

As for this Shifter and the Reverse Loc-Out, I have several of them, but the shifter handles need to be replated. If this turns out nicely and dosen´t cost a fortune, I will try sell a few of them complete including the Reverse Loc-Out.
If you than get a SS mounting plate from davescuda, you can skip the rubber boot and have a really nice looking hump there between the seats. It will likely be as close to the originals as one can get...
20171204_195915 DVFX replacement.jpg

As for this Shifter and the Reverse Loc-Out, I have several of them, but the shifter handles need to be replated. If this turns out nicely and dosen´t cost a fortune, I will try sell a few of them complete including the Reverse Loc-Out.
If you than get a SS mounting plate from davescuda, you can skip the rubber boot and have a really nice looking hump there between the seats. It will likely be as close to the originals as one can get...
View attachment 1715117961

SSing, I may be interested in a handle alone if it is correct and can be swapped out somehow to the normal bolt on style.

Yes tribe_of_dan,
I think the handle together with the so called Stick Bottom Assembly is the way to do this, since it apparently is very hard to dissemble this part due to the springs in there...
I´ll be back once I get the parts and can take some pics.
Thank you

Last edited:
I bought the correct handle on Amazon last year. If you look in Jim Schild's book it gives the part number of the handle, and that part number is still valid today. I believe it was $89.

I bought the correct handle on Amazon last year. If you look in Jim Schild's book it gives the part number of the handle, and that part number is still valid today. I believe it was $89.
That is the replacement handle. They do not make the original one. The original one is one piece.

This is not how I´m interpreting the section of the 4-speed trans.
It says handle is welded, and then plated. Housing has black finish.
Also in the Guide there is a PN for a complete Manual Trans Shifter.
First picture is from Castaldo´s Dart. It also show handle is straight, not of set like the recommended replacement handle is. (in the Guide)
Second pic is actually from the Guide.
3 is one of the shifters I have. It´s a comparison of mine, and the original and how HURST is placed on the handle. On the Handle you can find at Hurst today. Hurst is closer to the knob.
Last is recommended replacement shifter #836
20170312_094250 Castaldo No Boot David.jpg

20170312_154803 Jack Thomas No Boot.jpg

20170906_130031 Hurst mark compare.jpg

20170316_151026 ny shifter jmf.jpg

Last edited:

Would it be possible for you to check with this guy, what size thread for the knob this original shifter has?
Would be really interesting to know.
Thank you

And was knob Ivory or the simply white one :)

-
Back