Speed sensor question

-

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a speed sensor from a later model TF (like a A-500) can be used in a 68 up 904 trans, to be used as a "trigger" for a aftermarket cruise control. Rather then putting magnets on the drive shaft.

As far as "will it fit", yes. Can't say for sure if it will work for your particular aftermarket cruise control, but I believe so- if the cruise has a single wire to the sensor, wire that to one terminal of the VSS and the other terminal to ground.
This is the sensor from a '93 Dakota.
5S4691__ra_t.jpg

It allows you to retain your cable drive speedometer, as opposed to some other years that that don't have a cable throughput. It threads directly onto your trans speedo drive, but may require a bit of floorpan "clearancing" with a BFH; it gets pretty crowded down there in some situations. The cable output of the VSS is not sized the same as the trans. output, but a cable from the same years as the sensor will fit the sensor and a '68 and up speedometer head.
CA-3027_1__ra_t.jpg

I'd give it a shot.
The VSS gives 8 pulses per revolution, which should be in the ballpark.

I had one of their units on a Cordoba, back in the "80's, and liked it. I have a used zt-3 that was in my 64 Valiant, when I got it (going to put it back in). This unit will go in my 66 Valiant "race car, which I am making streetable. Most people don't know, but Direct Connection had a version called a "performance timer". P4349443, I have one of those, also. Direct Connection performance timer-P4349443 | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

I had one of their units on a Cordoba, back in the "80's, and liked it. I have a used zt-3 that was in my 64 Valiant, when I got it (going to put it back in). This unit will go in my 66 Valiant "race car, which I am making streetable. Most people don't know, but Direct Connection had a version called a "performance timer". P4349443, I have one of those, also. Direct Connection performance timer-P4349443 | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
I’ve got 2 of those bad boys. I forgot about them.

-
Back