Speedmaster Small block porting tips and results Part 1

-
It def looks more like an answer to.......
“People are asking about cnc’d chambers....... can you do anything about that........ cheap”?

Exactly. They "fixed" a couple of spots that might be worth something, but for the most part its just for show.

SM CNC Combustion chamber.PNG

That don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

View attachment 1715447742
That don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
It's mostly lighting why it looks so ugly and that high spot does look like it needs to be removed but at the same time if you remove it would you create an issue of intake going straight out the exhaust.
It's either very crude programming or there's there is some thought/testing behind that.

It's mostly lighting why it looks so ugly and that high spot does look like it needs to be removed but at the same time if you remove it would you create an issue of intake going straight out the exhaust.
It's either very crude programming or there's there is some thought/testing behind that.

Exactly!

Wouldn’t you be better served to just polish the as cast chamber, after doing any unshrouding? Seems that would be a better finish than cnc? Retain the small amount of cc’s if you just polish.

Well again as we all know, there is that cost thing with the TF’s but to cleanup the plug hole, do maybe a little bit of unshrouding if desired, and/or just polish the chamber would be an easy task. Be a nicer looking chamber than the cnc IMO

FCC19B34-13CD-4294-B49D-06D6ADF7D488.jpeg

maybe a little bit of unshrouding if desired, and/or just polish the chamber would be an easy task. Be a nicer looking chamber than the cnc IMO.

I agree...... but how it looks isn’t really the issue.

The TF chamber has the proper contours around the seats....... you just can’t get there with the RPM style head.

The TF chamber has the proper contours around the seats....... you just can’t get there with the RPM style head.
Does the SM cnc work alter the chamber appreciably other than slight cc increase, or?

It doesn’t “look” like it does.

“If” one wanted to improve the chamber in the area around the seats...... you’d start by sinking the valves...... quite a bit.
Enough to where to retain the normal tip heights, you’d use slightly shorter valves.
That put’s the valve seats well below the chamber roof and gives you some material to improve(well, create actually) some contours around the seats.

Unfortunately, doing all that to the std cnc heads would push the cost up past the TF heads....... and you’d still end up with heads that weren’t as nice as they are.

I don’t try and make this style of head into something it’s not.
Some people who can do the work themselves get good results from fairly extensive rework to this style of head.
But...... if you’re paying someone to do it for you...... there’s a more cost effective option.

Last edited:

Unless you want to pull all the seats, do a ton of welding and then the finish work. Then you could have that chamber.

Or...you could take the cowards way and just by the TF heads??

Then the question becomes are you a man or a mouse.

Pass me the cheese!

Its an optical, thats the seats overlap.
You're seeing the aluminum around the seats.
Its not a TF chamber, but i have a hunch its better than it looks in that pic.
Polish it out and youll see it raised and peaked similarly.

Last edited:
These are a worth head for the price everyone got them for.
And PBR will show how to squeeze more out of them.

But if your going to by them now.......Trick Flow is NOT That much more.
With that said, I'm enjoying this porting thread a lot.

These are a worth head for the price everyone got them for.
And PBR will show how to squeeze more out of them.

But if your going to by them now.......Trick Flow is NOT That much more.
With that said, I'm enjoying this porting thread a lot.
Agree, I’m glad I changed course though, still would like to try my hand at some of what PBR is doing one day (tubing and such) for now this wuss is enjoying this thread:)

-
Back