Speedmaster Small block porting tips and results Part 1

-
If you would reread your posts before you hit the reply button and think of others before doing so you may not always come across as such a dick. Just because something is over your head it may be helping others. But no you won’t so others will suffer as guys stop passing on tech info. Some guys actually have the balls to try new stuff. New stuff to you would be learning to shut your damn mouth. Now do your thing you are best at and hit the disagree button. Lol.
I can't tell you how many times I said I was learning and I have learned from what you were showing but I thought I could learn more.. I hope I didn't offend you by saying it looked like a lot of chest beating bye people who know more or at least think they do... say what you don't know is I've tried a lot of new stuff and I posted it all here on the Forum just because it wasn't motor stuff doesn't mean it wasn't new stuff.. building my own headliner from scratch with pictures and tech support as needed.. who else has a thread on the clutch tamer? How to install it on abody and what to do with it?... I don't chest beat about it and I don't petition for a sticky...Don't get all high-and-mighty on your racing experience and head porting experience.. there's a whole lot more in this world than that.. then telling somebody to shut their mouth via the Internet... I'm not challenging you but just saying..

My point gets to be how many of us own a flow bench to test our home Port job and how good we're doing it? Like stated grind a little test a little do this or do that a little and test.. how would a guy at home watching and listening to all this great knowledge on how to port and where to Port if it could be interpreted know if they made any difference or in some cases made things worse?...
I'll go ahead and say the elephant in my head this seems more like chest beating that I can Port great and I have a flow machine and I know what I'm doing more so then this is an exact guide at exactly how much and where and how with pictures pointing out the areas a guy with no experience or very little and no tools or very little can get a lot out of these cheap heads doing some simple hot rodding at home... Sorry no offense I appreciate everybody's work and efforts but it's just what goes on in my head...
It's all very interesting to read about...
I don’t see it like this at all. This is the kind of info you will not get from any head porter that does this for a living, ever. Those pros, experts, the top people ain’t giving anything up, at least beyond a certain point....and showing pictures? Not happening. Totally understandable. Everyone gets that. That’d be insane. So you go and get books if you want to give it a shot but they don’t usually cover the particular heads you’re working on, you surely can’t ask questions. Someone’s laying out things regarding these heads here the best way they know how, that’s invaluable. How it can be construed as chest thumping or attention seeking or whatever..... nah, just somebody willing to help out. Take notes, save the pictures, ask questions and follow along. Good thread I hope doesn’t go off the rails and into the ravine in a ball of fire:steering:

Just ask yourself this question.
Have you said anything to encourage any of the knowledgeable porter's to continue giveing out knolage??? yeah i know "ENCOURAGE" IN YOUR DEFINITION, BOOK, IS AZZ KISSER!

NOW! before you fly off the handel.......Throw that phone that had voice command and put it in the desk. Turn on your computer and plug in the keyboard.
Type how you feel.........read it. Think how it is going to go over, modify it to still get your point across. Then ask yourself this one question. Is any of it helpful to this thread..........................Then delete it before you send it.

lord knows i have! BEcouse it would just start a 2 page ***** session. AKA NO HELP TO THE THREAD!

I challenge you to do it for a week! no phone voice responses, let your finger do the taking.

I don’t see it like this at all. This is the kind of info you will not get from any head porter that does this for a living, ever. Those pros, experts, the top people ain’t giving anything up, at least beyond a certain point....and showing pictures? Not happening. Totally understandable. Everyone gets that. That’d be insane. So you go and get books if you want to give it a shot but they don’t usually cover the particular heads you’re working on, you surely can’t ask questions. Someone’s laying out things regarding these heads here the best way they know how, that’s invaluable. How it can be construed as chest thumping or attention seeking or whatever..... nah, just somebody willing to help out. Take notes, save the pictures, ask questions and follow along. Good thread I hope doesn’t go off the rails and into the ravine in a ball of fire:steering:

and once more time for the fifth or sixth time I guess yes I've been learning stuff from this but like you said the big secrets aren't getting let out... I just say what's on my mind and that just turns it into a big Fiasco so I'll just watch and let you guys learn... If I don't have to come defend myself again... I've learned so far if you don't have all this knowledge all this crying ability you might as well just pay for the trick flow heads and not give it to somebody to charge you the makeup cost I'm doing speed Masters.... May I go get a better valve job one day and toiling them a little myself sure but take it to this level not likely...

Just ask yourself this question.
Have you said anything to encourage any of the knowledgeable porter's to continue giveing out knolage??? yeah i know "ENCOURAGE" IN YOUR DEFINITION, BOOK, IS AZZ KISSER!

NOW! before you fly off the handel.......Throw that phone that had voice command and put it in the desk. Turn on your computer and plug in the keyboard.
Type how you feel.........read it. Think how it is going to go over, modify it to still get your point across. Then ask yourself this one question. Is any of it helpful to this thread..........................Then delete it before you send it.

lord knows i have! BEcouse it would just start a 2 page ***** session. AKA NO HELP TO THE THREAD!

I challenge you to do it for a week! no phone voice responses, let your finger do the taking.
no sorry I haven't tickled their nuts to get them to feel better about giving more information out I just ask for it flat out..
Also to your last part - ain't happenin...
Ain't gettin ran off...

Did that encourage for more porting questions to be given......NO!!!!!
BARK BARK BARK.
I'm done.

This thread is awesome. It kills two birds with one stone. It answers alot of questions some may have and addresses the problem child in class. I started a set of speedmaster heads this spring. My grandfather became ill and passed away. I closed the doors on alot of things for quite some time. My Duster was one thing I kinda quit. Any rate my flow numbers were real weak .200-.400. Can't say for sure it will help my heads as much, but I have learned just how much these things benefit from a good valve job. Thanks PBR and PRH!

MAKE THIS THREAD GREAT AGAIN! PUSH THE IGNORE BUTTON!!!

That's the balancing act that you do over and over again. air speed over cfm! If you can gain cfm without to much air speed you win. if you gain air speed but is turbulence. you ground in the wrong place. and you won't know until you try it!
And around and a round you go!
PBR knows were those "Do Not Grind" spots are and where the cfm flow spots are. So he can grind in several spot that he knows it needs. The fps probes just tell you if your thinking is in the ballpark.

Thanks for doing all of this pittsburghracer:thankyou::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I made This statement early on in this thread.
and now i feel i need to clarify it just a little

Grinding in the wrong spot just a little can turn the flow upside down. But thats when you trying to get 300 cfm out of a stock 340/360 head and you just got 285(just throwing numbers in the air)

A single seat cut to a 3+ angle cut is alway a cfm jump! bowl blending is a + in flow and so is cleaning up all the imperfections in the port.+++
If your trying to get more area around the SSR to slow the air speed down and you lay into the short wall all The way into the bowl. Look GReat!!!! BUT IT START TO SCREAM ON THE FLOW BENCH AND WHEN YOU PUT YOUR FPS PROBE IN........YOU HAVE NEGATIVE NUMBER..........yes the air has turn around and is coming back up the port. couldn't believe my eyes. Why? Because air goes where it want to, NOT where you think it should.
What i did was create a low pressure spot and now some of the air had a easier path back up the port instead of out.

This wasn't simple cleaning of the port or slight reshaping of the port. this was a big big chunk of iron i ground out.

What's being taught here i don't think you can go wrong, some may get more out of there head then other, but i don't think any of this will make the head worse. Only Better:steering:

I think I'll have Radar look at mine. His shop did my 273 heads.

History of Cedar Rapids and Eastern Iowa Car Culture, Street and Racing
October 30, 2018 ·

Some people are just born to go fast. Roger “Radar” Lechtenberg is one of those people. Radar runs a very successful machine shop in Cedar Falls Iowa called R&J Performance. Radar is reputed to be one of the best cylinder head machinists around. He has machined heads for the top people in drag racing, including John Force and Kenny Bernstein. Radar learned his trade under Gary Ostrich at Ostrich Motors in Nevada Iowa before striking out on his own with R&J Performance. Radar developed the Mopar B-1 head that helped get Mopar back to a championship level in drag racing and he developed the head for nitro motorcycles that put Harley Davidson back on the map.
Radar is also a race car driver, a very fast race car driver. He raced a top alcohol dragster, the “Cannonball Express” and a World of Outlaws sprint car. He was also the driver for Dale Suhr’s “Orange Crate” nostalgic nitro front engine dragster. Currently Radar pilots the “Nitro Madness” double A fuel altered (AA/FA) owned by Scott & Peggy Gaulter. They have run this race car over 240 mph in the quarter mile. And Radar always makes time to meet his fans, both young and old. A note of interest - Radar has never driven a race car that had doors on it. Radar the machinist makes other people go fast and Radar the driver makes himself go fast. Some people are just born to go fast.

Radar.jpg

radar2.jpg

That sounds like a guy you could sit down with a beer, and wonder were the day went.:D

Man. I hope this thread don't end, I was learning a lot. I really liked seeing his results for each mod. and being done on the same flow bench. I don't care to much about how his bench flows compared to others, it shows me results and what lift the results are at. It also helps me semi Taylor my port job. If he does a mod that helps at .500 lift and up but hurts at .300 and below and I have a .480 cam I might skip that mod. and take the better numbers at low lift. This info. is like gold to some of us.

It's not going to end. Some folks just have to get over themselves and listen, learn, teach, share etc.

Or, as a good friend of mine always said, "If you know, you know. If you don't, shut the F&*$ up".

Notice, I listen in technical threads.

I see this as yet another ruined thread with senseless babel.
Danm shame. It would have been an excellent thread to learn from for many people.

What are you using to drill the head bolt holes to 9/16”? Mill, jig/ fixture of some sort or freehand?

I’ve always just done them freehand but I now have one of the bigger Harbor Freight drill presses instead of my Sears with the droopy table. I may give it a try

You mentioned earlier tubing the pushrod holes then grinding till you just kiss the brass tube. That seems to be a way of sneaking up on the hole, keeping as much “meat” in that area and a smooth contour vs. possibly blowing it open, tubing and then slathering on epoxy and working to re-contour. Safe to say you do the same with the head bolt hole. Less epoxy used In the port the goal I assume?

13433094-44BA-440E-8C2C-5AA14CEA3BE1.jpeg
F55085A6-0EE0-47D5-882C-227E66F9E9C5.jpeg
Ya I used to drill out both the pushrod and head bolt holes and us 1/2 inch house copper tubing till I found this K&S stuff. It was again a win win. More area, less drilling. Late start today and it’s just after 9pm so I’m going to do a little grinding. You guys know what’s next. Church and Steeler football so I’m guessing no shop time tomorrow. That is unless they stink AGAIN. Lol.

I'm not speaking for PBR
but when i did it on a 340/360 head i found the right size tube that slide right thru after a little honing to get ride of the rust flakes.
Epoxyed the tube and slide it in.
Then i had sever metal ball bearing on hand. one that fell thru and one that took a little work and the third that i had to hammer it all the way threw.
Now i feel like them tubes will never move.

Ignore all the epoxy in the intake area:)
DSCN2028.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back