Speedmaster Small block porting tips and results Part 1

-
SCE has an intake gasket, part # ending with a "P", that we had them cut for us and it's in their catalog...it allows a nice gasket to be used with a taller intake port opening than anything else that I'm aware of. I do that instead of tubing the pushrod holes cause it don't take much for a leak to happen. You can gain approx. .180 at the top just by porting to the gasket line.

Got the chamber roughed in with a carbide burr and will hit it with a sanding roll after I push out the common wall and head bolt bulge. Don’t forget to install a couple old valves to protect those valve seats.
8F5E4B7C-05A6-454A-8186-39E2098C5ECA.jpeg
4757943E-022D-4CC8-94FD-B07EC077D82E.jpeg

View attachment 1715444387 View attachment 1715444388 Ya I used to drill out both the pushrod and head bolt holes and us 1/2 inch house copper tubing till I found this K&S stuff. It was again a win win. More area, less drilling. Late start today and it’s just after 9pm so I’m going to do a little grinding. You guys know what’s next. Church and Steeler football so I’m guessing no shop time tomorrow. That is unless they stink AGAIN. Lol.

I'm just not a fan of that chamber.

07165104-2258-427F-A4C9-AFC1B01AB28C.jpeg
48461557-1162-4845-91BF-07553423DD29.jpeg
8A397EC9-A059-41D1-82F2-5A1D1F754661.jpeg
8A397EC9-A059-41D1-82F2-5A1D1F754661.jpeg
I hope you guys can see this but as you push the common wall over you gotta grab the extra area you made by doing so. I hope you can see the bulge in the roof of my upside down head. That is good air up there so that’s gotta come out. Once you start flipping these heads around and widen the pinch you will feel a jump in the top of the entrance right in front of the pinch. Like Brian said raise the port

To the unshrouding ...That will definitely pull harder on the intake.
Helps that side of the port at least.
Scribed to a 4" bore is what I like to do too.
They need to just edit the whole thing down to your posts/pics, then the q&a from there.
Taller is good.

Last edited:
View attachment 1715444387 View attachment 1715444388 Ya I used to drill out both the pushrod and head bolt holes and us 1/2 inch house copper tubing till I found this K&S stuff. It was again a win win. More area, less drilling. Late start today and it’s just after 9pm so I’m going to do a little grinding. You guys know what’s next. Church and Steeler football so I’m guessing no shop time tomorrow. That is unless they stink AGAIN. Lol.
So who are you rooting for? so i can root for the other team and get you back out in your garage early!!!!!:D

View attachment 1715443321 View attachment 1715443322 View attachment 1715443323 The common wall needs straighten and that Damn ugly bulge for the head bolt goes next along with some chamber work. I have airspeeds both before and after and will drawl a diagram with the numbers ASAP. I usually tube the pushrod to grab more volume and for anyone looking to do so all that is needed is a tubing cutter, JBweld, 17/32 K&S tubing available at Ace Hardware or Amazon for around 5.50 for a 10 inch piece.
Wow that's one heck of head bolt hump there. didn't notice it when you first posted it.
So did you just cut it off to match the straight wall or did you round it into the bowl?

Thank-you for all the info,pictures and stuff to think on. Need to clean a table,get the grinder and dust mask out and have some fun! Happy New Year. Bob

Lots of good information here. If you guys have a more mild build, just pay attention but some of what the guys have done to their heads might not be necessary for you. I little gasket match, smoothing here and there and the like will be a plus for you.

Thanks. It’s been awhile since I did anything other than opening up my pushrod holes on my B1 heads. I’m a little rusty but it’s coming back.
Out of curiosity what flow bench you using?
I had access for years to a sf600 I played with my J heads to my hearts content.
Seems I had it set around 25 inches, but I always see everyone checking at 28”
Seems Hogan said it was a more realistic number.
Years ago I’d been up half the night, and he popped in, said what are doing 12? Trying to get the numbers I had earlier, I screwed up the port I guess, he’s says that looks pretty nice, and takes over, can’t believe it’s down? Starts looking around the bench, and noticed a cardboard box had crept over to the air intake opening, he leaves pissed off, that I’m gonna burn his bench up, I said quit leaving cardboard boxes around.

Lots of good information here. If you guys have a more mild build, just pay attention but some of what the guys have done to their heads might not be necessary for you. I little gasket match, smoothing here and there and the like will be a plus for you.
Right now I'm teetering on a 50/50 of just slapping them on right out of the box after spraying a little brake cleaner on them and see what they do...
I've had just about enough internet Boogeyman.. they look like beautiful heads to me and they're brand-new for heaven's sake...

Right now I'm teetering on a 50/50 of just slapping them on right out of the box after spraying a little brake cleaner on them and see what they do...
I've had just about enough internet Boogeyman.. they look like beautiful heads to me and they're brand-new for heaven's sake...
And for the mild build we already know they are better than the x and J heads. Correct me if I'm wrong but a back cut on the valve, a little smoothing or an extra angle into the bowl and a gasket match would improve these heads a bit.

You're catching on. I've had him on ignore, off and on, for a about a yr.
Had another on ignore who writes novels ...who the hell can read all that, sometimes its longer than all the post replies in the thread. Lol
I'm not about banning people unless they are always off topic and **** stir constantly.... but i understand the hung member is basically hanging himself.
Hey stop talkin about AJ that way... Lol, I was just reading a tread that he posted on and had the scroll for what seems like two minutes to get to the end of this post LOL... If I was to add up or quote all of the off subject post on this thread including yours here and including the ones from the op - Church, football, fat *** working out.... Please..

-
Back