Speedo Cable Does Not Spin/Turn

-

dibbons

Reaction score
1965 Formula S speedometer has never worked since purchase ten years ago. Today I pulled out the speedo cable for the first time. Spinning the dash end of the cable by hand, the pinion end (17 tooth) that fits into the transmission does not turn. Well, it will turn a tiny hair amount just barely visible to the naked eye, and then nothing. There is a speedo shop in town. Will go by the local shop tomorrow. Not sure what the hang-up could be.

There are complete cables and just the inner cable (NOS) for sale on the internet (expensive). Mine is about 58 inches long.

speedo cable and gear 1.JPG

Did you pull out the inner, steel cable?
Pulls out from dash board end.
Maybe the plastic gear end is stripped?

"Back in the day" every single parts store that claimed to be one stocked universal cable repair kits. you cut them to length, crimped on the little square end, and went down the road........unless the insides of the cable jacket were torn up.

speedometer cable repair kit - Google Search

"Back in the day" every single parts store that claimed to be one stocked universal cable repair kits. you cut them to length, crimped on the little square end, and went down the road........unless the insides of the cable jacket were torn up.

speedometer cable repair kit - Google Search
Yup I use to sell them. The brand I carried was in a green package and the name brand was Perfect Parts. Sold a bunch of them.

pull the dark ring off the yellow gear. the gear should slid off. check for cable rotation and the inside of the gear. and also pull the cable out from the outer sheathing most likely it is sheared or the gear is stripped.

Your local speedo shop will be able to set you up especially since you have the OEM cable to bring in. If the outer sheathing is in good shape no need to replace it UNLESS shop can show you it is defective

I found the cable had twisted/snapped only two inches from the transmission. The (plastic?) speedometer pinion appears to have survived.

The local speedo shop advised me to purchase a new cable. I asked about repairing this one and the owner said his tool to make replacement inner cables was stolen so he does not perform that service any longer.

I mail-ordered another cable. I have some liquid graphite I am thinking about using for a lube (the carrier evaporates and leaves behind the graphite). I have seen that grease is not really recommended.

speedo cable broken.JPG

You can use any grease. I used wheel bearing grease.

Make sure that your speedometer head is not binding up. I pulled my speedometer and took a short section of the bad cable and chucked it into a drill. I then ran the drill backwards. It turned out that my speedometer was bad and that’s what was ruining the cable.

Putting the two broken pieces of my original inner speedo cable back together, I measured 58 7/8 inches. I see Brewers Performance sells a cable that is advertised as 59 inches (currently "out of stock") which should be the correct length.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 5.11.02 PM.png

-
Back