speedo cable doesn't fit

-

phaelax

Reaction score
'73 Duster with 727. Bought a new speedo cable (has plastic clip on one end to back of speedometer) but the other end doesn't fit the transmission. The old one I unscrewed used a 1" nut which was a bit larger than this new one (which has a knurled end to screw onto the tranny instead of a hex nut) I've looked all over the internet and only come up with the same type of cable I bought.

Here's a pic that might help clear things up.
http://imgur.com/dnMHUTY

Did you try it? I got mine from NAPA. Looked like what you picture ( old and new). I thought the same thing, but it fit.

Yup, mine definitely does not fit. The out diameter of the new one barely even matches up with the threads on the connector. I don't suppose you know the part number from napa?

ejQuZ0R.jpg

Mine is a 75 with a 904, but should be the same. I Looked up 73 with a 340 (should be 727) on their website and it gives same part.
Part Number: 6151659
Product Line: Balkamp
IMPORTANT INFO: 68" Long
Price: $ 19.39 /ea
I tried to measure the knurled part on mine, looks like About 1-1/4 outside

I went to napa and got one that fits. Speedo is still off by about 30mph, but it stopped bouncing.

Does it zero and increase smoothly? Did it work right previously? Any changes made? Tires, rear...

It sits at about 32 when I'm not moving, but increases smoothly. The old one sat around 32 also but bounced a lot when moving. I've made no changes myself but the last owner may never have changed the pinion gears. Even so, it wouldn't be off by that much would it? Bad speedometer? The rear tires are P255/60R15 (27" dia)

That definitely sounds like it's in the speedometer. I'd recommend starting a new thread asking if it can be zeroed. Im sure someone on here will know.
Once that is working you can verify if the speed is correct. If needed, gearing and tire sizes can be adjusted for by changing the little plastic gear where the cable goes into the trans.

'73 Duster with 727. Bought a new speedo cable (has plastic clip on one end to back of speedometer) but the other end doesn't fit the transmission. The old one I unscrewed used a 1" nut which was a bit larger than this new one (which has a knurled end to screw onto the tranny instead of a hex nut) I've looked all over the internet and only come up with the same type of cable I bought.

Here's a pic that might help clear things up.

Good morning were you able to find a cable that would fit I’m having the exact same trouble and can’t get a answer from anyone on a solution any help would be appreciated greatly

If you want one that fits, call your local Dodge dealer & have this part number ready;

A-body speedo cable.JPG

Yup, mine definitely does not fit. The out diameter of the new one barely even matches up with the threads on the connector. I don't suppose you know the part number from napa?

ejQuZ0R.jpg

It sits at about 32 when I'm not moving, but increases smoothly. The old one sat around 32 also but bounced a lot when moving. I've made no changes myself but the last owner may never have changed the pinion gears. Even so, it wouldn't be off by that much would it? Bad speedometer? The rear tires are P255/60R15 (27" dia)

Been there before, and one thing to note is that the speedo head is very particular about the angle that a new cable comes into it.
I usually put the rear wheels in the air and let them run while I tweak the cable angle around until things work right.

If it does the 32mph thing like it did before it's the speedo head itself causing it.
They are touchy little mothers.:D

-
Back