Speedometer cable leaking and its New

-

Signet64

Reaction score
I purchased a speedometer cable from
Classic industries. The end that goes into the trans on my 64 valiant vert 904A
Is leaking. The body that goes into the trans is held on by 2 cir clips.
It’s leaking out were the cir clip is on the bottom. The pinion seal is installed correctly as well as the main body seal on the cable end. Has anyone else used this cable with any success? It doesn’t seem like it’s even possible to seal properly given that the body end is not one solid piece. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

5F663E31-8CB2-406F-8C9B-8C53C63877E6.jpeg

Classic industries. The end that goes into the trans on my 64 valiant vert 904A
Is leaking. The body that goes into the trans is held on by 2 cir clips.
It’s leaking out were the cir clip is on the bottom. The pinion seal is installed correctly as well as the main body seal on the cable end. Has anyone else used this cable with any success? It doesn’t seem like it’s even possible to seal properly given that the body end is not one solid piece. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

View attachment 1715972874
You might ping @WV64Signet as he just went thru a whole bunch of 904 love.

Could be in the housing where the speedo inserts. There should be a seal in there as well that could be worn.

Need to find that diagram in one of these books...
That would be great if you can find a diagram.
My original cable was swapped for aftermarket so I had no way to compare them. so your saying there is a seal inside the body of that cable end? So remove cir clips and it’s in there?
Maybe they forgot to install it.?

Classic industries.

If I had a free-Big-Mac coupon for every description of badness that starts out with I bought <part> from Classic Industries, I would explode in a mushroom cloud of all-beef patties; special sauce; lettuce; cheez; pickles, and onions. They'd be finding bits and flecks of sesame seed bun all over a 100-km radius.

If I had a free-Big-Mac coupon for every description of badness that starts out with I bought <part> from Classic Industries, I would explode in a mushroom cloud of all-beef patties; special sauce; lettuce; cheez; pickles, and onions. They'd be finding bits and flecks of sesame seed bun all over a 100-km radius.
Do you have a recommendation where to buy a working one?
Lol

I was gonna tell him to quit screwing around and dump a four speed in it but figured it would fall on deaf ears (again) very similar to someone else we know! Hah! Have a great weekend!
There’s nothing wrong with my 904.
It just needs the proper parts to make it right. It’s s great transmission

There’s nothing wrong with my 904.
It just needs the proper parts to make it right. It’s s great transmission
So here is some backstory SGNT64,
@WV64Signet is a buddy of ours. He has been wrestling with his 904 for quite some time and only recently got it sorted out. Whenever I wanted to poke him I would just tell him to drop a four speed in it! He ignored my advice repeatedly (as he should) but myself and several of his other buddies continued to heckle him about the four speed! Hence the reference above. You will find this group has a wealth of knowledge and will never hesitate to help you in any way we can. Of course you do have to put up with a bit of heckling!

OK..

The cable end appears correct... I don't have anything to indicate the dimensions

You said you checked the internal pinion O- ring and oil seal?

You'll need the proper pinion seal kit to replace those if not. Hope the diagrams provide some clarity.

Screenshot_20220820-010902_Chrome~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220820-011603_eBay~2.jpg

Do you have a recommendation where to buy a working one?
Andy Bernbaum/OldMoParts, 617-244-1118 or orders@oldmoparts.com . They used to claim to cover only '35-'61 or '35-'62 cars (depending on where you were reading), while actually covering cars into the mid '60s. Now their new website is more explicit about their coverage.

Also: Old Car Parts Northwest.

A good quality, old-stock cable from a vendor like these beats a Chinese "reproduction" item from the likes of Classic Industries or PG Classics or Van's Auto six days a week, and twice on Sundays.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I’m going to get one from Imperial I think. There’s has a solid steel body that’s all one piece.
It definitely won’t leak.

Thank you everyone. I’m going to get one from Imperial I think. There’s has a solid steel body that’s all one piece.
It definitely won’t leak.

Coolio

Do me a favor and circle back here on how it goes Please. A lot of these questions just kinda get left hanging. Be nice to hear about your success

Ok. I ordered the speedometer cable from Imperial with the steel woven type cable and plug in end for borg Warner type transmission 904A.
It works perfectly and hasn’t leaked a drop. The difference in the ends between theirs and CI was like night and day. The body was much tighter and better constructed.

Ok. I ordered the speedometer cable from Imperial with the steel woven type cable and plug in end for borg Warner type transmission 904A.
It works perfectly and hasn’t leaked a drop. The difference in the ends between theirs and CI was like night and day. The body was much tighter and better constructed.

Score!

Love it when the part fits

-
Back