Speedometer cable weirdness

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
My 66 dart sedan 270, has the original speedo cable. My speedometer has been fully rebuilt by a pro, and it has been working fine for the past 2 years. However now I notice the speedo doesn't go past 55, no matter if I try to go beyond, it doesnt go any further. I took it out and tested it with my drill and it will go past 55.

So that leads me to think the cable is f'd/ So I notice when I removed the dash cluster, the inner part of the cable pulls out. Is that right? I have lubed that cable in the pst, and it is one long piece. But how is it that it can simply slide out ?? If it was busted, I assume the speedometer wouldnt work at all? RIght? Help? And any idea on where to find the right size cable? Everything I find online points me to the wrong length cable. thanks guys

If you can completely remove the inner drive cable, the last inch or so of the end that goes toward the transmission "should" be square. The end at the instrument cluster should have a swaged fitting on it with a raised key way, or sometimes no fitting, but square, like the other end. I just went and looked at my 65 Barracuda, that I'm restoring...the cable is square on the instrument cluster end. Your cable may be broke somewhere in the middle, but touching together enough to allow the speedometer to work at a lower speed, but separates at higher speeds. It also maybe the drive gear in the transmission may be worn to the extent that it works a lower speeds but not under the stress of higher speeds. Some of the drive gears have a metal insert in the nylon gear to accommodate the square end of the cable. It may be slipping in the nylon gear. Just an idea...I'm sure someone will add to it for more help. Let us know what you do to fix it.
Norm

There is nothing weird about the inner cable pulling out. That's how you get it out to lube it. I would remove the entire cable and housing from the car and inspect it, removing the cable from the housing and looking for broken strands or snags. You could also take a look at the drive gear. But I am suspecting it is the speedometer itself, based on your symptom.

I got a complete cable from Napa last summer. It fit like a glove.

They are dirt cheap at oreilly where I got mine. Paid about $12 I think for a 69 cable. No reason to fool with it at that price.

Does anyone have a part #? When I search for my 66 dart 4 door, slant, with auto tranny, it always pulls up the wrong cable with incorrect ends. Mine is screw on type, not a clip. And the length it gives is about 16 inches too long. Help. I would rather replace the entire thing if I can find the part. Mine is 57 inches long BTW

Thanks toolman, but this one says it is 87 inches long, which is 30 inches too long for my application. hummm.......
I just looked through 110 different cables by ATP Automotive. The Y 804 comes in at 63 inches, and appears to have the correct fittings. But what about this: can I pull out the new inner piece, cut it to size, and then put in into my old cable conduit?? Can that inner portion be cut??

I just looked through 110 different cables by ATP Automotive. The Y 804 comes in at 63 inches, and appears to have the correct fittings. But what about this: can I pull out the new inner piece, cut it to size, and then put in into my old cable conduit?? Can that inner portion be cut??
The cable has to be squared. The cable I posted didn't look familiar but I am 200 miles away from home. Let me see if I can find the number on FABO. I'm sure I posted it somewhere.

Absolutely, and they even make universal cable repair kits that come with a long inner section and a tool to put the square on the end after it's cut to length.

cable.jpg

Change the whole cable, not just the inner part if you have a jumping speedometer. The inside of the housing can wear over the years as well as moving part.

Update: Installed the Y804, and it works. And the needle is nice and smooth now. $10 on Amazon. It is a few inches too long in the engine bay, but I tied it to the brake line so it doesn't interfere with the transmission shifter linkages. Thanks guys. Oh interesting, the part that screws onto the transmission, is round. The original cable that I removed attached via a large hex nut.

-
Back