Spitting and sputtering

-

ramman7284

Reaction score
Ok this is on my truck. I had the engine out so I can reseal it and put a new oil pump in. I put a new timing chain and gear set in with an msd dist and coil. I got it started and timed right I go to rev it up and sputters and dies down if I hold throttle still but if I play with the throttle it'll rev up and smooth out. The dist has the two blue adv springs in it along with the blue stop bushing. Can anyone help me get this thing smoothed out

So if you hold the throttle still it will die? Is this at idle or slightly revved up, both? Does it rev clean? A substantial valcuum leak will make it sputter and die if held at a constant throttle position, due to a lean condition. A stuck float will also do something simillar, but the culprit would be way too much fuel.

What is the timing set at?

Not familiar with MSD. Can you detail how you wired it?

It sounds like you just now installed the MSD?

Are the pickup leads from the distributor reversible?

Before I bought the dist and coil summit and msd told me that it doesn't plug into the stock harness cause my stock dist is a dual pick up coil. The msd wiring is on wire goes to coil positive other goes to coil neg another to engine ground and the last wire is a tach signal

Before I bought the dist and coil summit and msd told me that it doesn't plug into the stock harness cause my stock dist is a dual pick up coil. The msd wiring is on wire goes to coil positive other goes to coil neg another to engine ground and the last wire is a tach signal

We need more details than this------EXACTLY how did you wire it. There are easy pitfalls with wiring up the MSD

1--You cannot hook the tach to coil neg, in general

2--MSD 6 series boxes use a big red for main power which must be wired to a substantial battery connection.

3--The small red is a trigger wire, and you need to be sure it has both ignition and start wire, IE detail what/ how you handled the original ballast resistor wiring.

4--What are you running for a distributor and HOW EXACTLY did you hook it up

Or----are you running something different?

DETAILS..........................................Saying that you are "running MSD" is like saying "I own a GM"---too generic

That's exactly how I wired it as they show in the instructions of the dist. Since the truck sat for almost a yr I'm kinda thinking its the gas in the truck is bad but I'm not totally sure

Well I'm gona drive it tomorrow to c if it'll smooth out as the fresh gas gets up

I drove it runs like crap. I adjusted the advance curve on it and it feels good when idling but as soon as I go down the road it's just sputtering non stop

Sounds to me like your pick up wires are reversed, try wiring them up opposite of how you have them wired now and see what happens.

I figured it out since my truck has a "spark computer" and originally one wire went from there to the neg side of coil and I guess my coil was to much for it so I took it off and it ran alot better

-
Back