Sport Mirrors?

-
the mirrors are different. the drivers side is more round, and the passenger side is more flat and oval......

ok it is not the best quality, but here they go......first one is the driverside.........second is the passengerside. if you look at the driverside closely you can see it is more round shape. the passenger side is more flat and oval shaped. hope this helps

driver.JPG

passenger.JPG

oh, sorry about that. i do belive that you should start being able to get them repoped now, although i have not seen them. laysons http://www.laysons.com/ was supposed to start makeing them late last year (05). very pricey though $350.00 for the passenger side and $450.00 for the driverside. good luck!

Here's a side by side comparison. Now does anybody know how to get the passenger side apart so that it can be stripped and painted? Thanks, Warren

Picture 034.jpg

7demon2 said:
oh, sorry about that. i do belive that you should start being able to get them repoped now, although i have not seen them. laysons http://www.laysons.com/ was supposed to start makeing them late last year (05). very pricey though $350.00 for the passenger side and $450.00 for the driverside. good luck!

Good god, for that price i think ill forget about them LOL!!! :wack: :thumblef:

passenger side comes apart like this: look under the base there is a screw that goes up into the head. take that out and the base will seperate from the mirror head. if the mirror itself is loose in the head (can't set it without it moving around on it's own) then there is only one fix for that. the mirror needs to come out. break the mirror out. behind the glass is a little metal strip in the center over a metal ball. the metal strip will be loose or broken out. it has 2 potmetal ears supporting the metal strip.take the metal strip out (do not damage the strip) drill the metal ears out to holes on both sides.don't drill it out any bigger than the holes in the metal strip. if you want to take the mirror completly apart then now you can get the metal ball out as well. it will not fit through the hole in the plate that holds the mirror. you will have to gently pull it out useing vicegrips. pull is straight out don't twist it. the mirror base and ball adjustment will be out then. you can paint inside the whole mirror then. to replace push the metal ball stud back with mirror base already attached as removed! gently tap back down the metal ball adjuster with a small hammer. this will seat it back down so the mirror won't fall back out. grease the mirror adjustment ball then put the metal strip back over it and screw it back into place with the flat head stainless screws. this is pot metal so use some thread lock on screws. remember get it down flat enough and tight enough to clear the mirror that sits on top of this. if it is sitting up to high then mirror will hit the assembly underneath. i would get a new mirror cut to have as a guide to check fit you are done!

sorry for the long explaination, but i just had to go through this myself. i wasn't going to ruin my chances on a set of mirors that i had bought and needed to be repaired and restored. everything came out fine for me.

by the way warren did you get all the parts for the drivers side to attach it? do you have the mirror adjuster trim plate(ring) that goes inside the door? also therre is a flat spring metal nut that goes inside the door that holds the adjuster into place for the chrome trim plate to draw up to. do you have that as well? i know i did notand needed one. it will not work with out it. take a pic of what you have for it and i will tell you what you need if anything.....

i forgot did your car already have a inside remote mirror to begin with? if so the nut you will need may have fell inside the door at the bottom when you took the old one off. if it didn't already have an inside remote mirror then you will need one for sure

7demon2, thanks for the info on how to get them apart. I was going to put new glass in them anyhow. I believe I have everything you mentioned to mount the mirror. My car had a left hand remote mirror, but it was just the round chrome one, and I wanted the sport mirrors.Do you know of anyone who sells the rubber mounting gaskets? Thanks, Warren

Picture 036.jpg

laysons was supposed to start makeing these gaskets again. i don't know for sure if they have started makeing them or not. i think used or nothing for now. i couldn't find them when i needed them :cwm10:

oh i forgot to tell you you do have everything you need to mount them. good pic. look like nice mirrors. you won't need to do all of what i wrote. i wrote that in case your passenger side mirror is loose and flopping around as so many of them are. i got mine off e-bay and mine was like that. i wasn't about to give up on mine so i took them apart and figured out how to save them in the process. while you have them out you should oil the drivers side up really well. wd40 the cables and wires in them. this will help add a long life to them. :thumblef:

-
Back