Sprial locks... easy way too get them out??

-

dadodgekid

When in doubt... floor it
Reaction score
Well, anyone have an easier way too get them out?? Im about ready too burn my shop down.... small pick, straight, 90 deg, or s curve... all suck! Ive broken the tips off two of my picks. Sprial lock in an icon forged piston.

Well, anyone have an easier way too get them out?? Im about ready too burn my shop down.... small pick, straight, 90 deg, or s curve... all suck! Ive broken the tips off two of my picks. Sprial lock in an icon forged piston.
I like using the lil flat head pocket screwdrivers that I get off the tool truck...
You might need two ;)

I have used two methods: (1) a very small screwdriver and (2) a small pair of needle nose pliers. I used the pliers to get one layer of the lock raised a bit and then I grab it firm with the pliers.

I use a s shaped oring pick and a twist of the wrist. I have spiral locks on a couple ratchets I put kits in.

When you go in with the little pocket screwdrivers, the corners have to be sharp but not burred.You only get a couple of trys and then the cussing starts.
So
Immobilize the item in a vice,carefully of course.Then,press very very hard.

Im going too get a few small screwdrivers tomorrow. Most of my tools are my pops old stuff, so the knurling is smoothed off and had the same outcome with my picks. I managed too get two pistons done... 6 more too go! Ran out of beer after the second piston... going too get more and try again tomorrow!!

Here's a video for installing and removing.

When you go in with the little pocket screwdrivers, the corners have to be sharp but not burred.You only get a couple of trys and then the cussing starts.
So
Immobilize the item in a vice,carefully of course.Then,press very very hard.

You're doing it the hard way AJ. Just cuss them out to begin with and skip the couple of tries. I have found it saves time.

You're doing it the hard way AJ. Just cuss them out to begin with and skip the couple of tries. I have found it saves time.
I`ve done it the way in the video, but still, mine were tighter than what his looked like.

-
Back