Spring Relocation Dimensions

-

roughidle

Super Platinum Member
Reaction score
I need a couple dimensions from those of you who have a spring relocation kit or have installed one or two. I've got a chassis that already had the front part of the relocation kit installed. I need to know what size the tube needs to be that is to be welded in the rear frame rails. Also need to know where exactly the hole is supposed to be on the front spring perch.... The ones on the chassis have three holes vertically spaced top to bottom.... Not sure which to use.

Thanks in advance.

I need a couple dimensions from those of you who have a spring relocation kit or have installed one or two. I've got a chassis that already had the front part of the relocation kit installed. I need to know what size the tube needs to be that is to be welded in the rear frame rails. Also need to know where exactly the hole is supposed to be on the front spring perch.... The ones on the chassis have three holes vertically spaced top to bottom.... Not sure which to use.

Thanks in advance.

Just to make sure, you have the relocation kit that moves the springs onto the rails and not the 3/4" offset relocation, correct?? If so, then if you're asking what size the tube needs to be, you're talking about the tube that holds the upper rear rubber bushing?? If that what you need I can measure this extra set of springs I have because the rear upper and lower rubber bushings are the same size on the rear spring eye and on the rear upper leaf spring shackle tube. Is that what you need??
Your other question is about the height of the front of the spring?? You have three holes and you want the stock hole location?? If so, I can measure the location of my 69 Barracuda front spring mount hole. If you have three holes you should be able to use the one that gives you the body height you want by moving the front of the spring up or down.
Pics would help tremendously???

Treblig

Everything you said is correct. The front mount was welded in; the rear tube for the rear shackle was not. Can't really take pictures right now.... I kind of figured I would use the front holes for ride height. reassurance is nice...

Everything you said is correct. The front mount was welded in; the rear tube for the rear shackle was not. Can't really take pictures right now.... I kind of figured I would use the front holes for ride height. reassurance is nice...

If you need the rear tube info tonight I can get it otherwise I can post in the morning. Also if you need to know stock height for the front hole I'll have to pull my car out tomorrow and measure from a particular spot on the car so you can have a reference. You will also need to know the distance from the front mount hole to the rear tube??

treblig

I bought a spring relocate kit from a member; It didn't come with the tubes for the rear shackles. (Car is '71 Swinger.) Here's what worked for me...
I took one rear spring bracket and centered a 3/16” fender washer over the hole on each side, brazed them in place then opened up the holes so that a ¼” drill bit fit snugly down the center of the bracket. I bolted the bracket in place and with an angle drill and an extra long ¼” bit, ran the bit through the bracket holes and drilled through the frame. Actually, it took two bits… One cut to length for the near side and another cut to length for the far side of the frame. This placed the tube on the same center line as the old mounting point- just inboard.
A friend made me some tubes with the ID accepting the rubber bushings and the OD at a common size that matched an available hole saw. I went back with the hole saw and used the ¼” pilot holes in the frame to make the final opening. Welded ‘em in and reinforced with plate. Came out nice.
It just so happens I had my friend make an extra set of tubes just in case I screwed up the first ones. If you’re not in a hurry, let me know and I’ll send them to you along with the modified bracket. I got laid off last week so will let you pick up the postage.
I suggest you install a front bracket and measure how far the front of the spring was moved ‘in’. Then, move the back the same amount.

I don't need anything tonight - and I work at a fab shop so coming up with the tubing is no issue - surely don't need anyone going out of their way.... Dimensions will be perfect for the tubing. That's all i really need. I know how far the front brackets were moved in so the geometry there for the rear should be no problems.

Thanks

The factory hole in the frame seems to be what everyone is using. So I shouldn't need the dimension of the front to rear mounting hole.

All I need at this point is to make sure I get the correct size tubing for the rear shackles...

Thanks

I just did this. If you are using ss springs or anything other than the factory leaf springs the rear tube size is 1 inch ID. The part number is energy suspension 2.2117g for the poly bushings. The holes in the front hangers, the middle one is usually stock height. Then plus or minus 1/2 inch for the other holes depending on which hole you use.

I guess it depends on which type (size) of bushing you plan to use. I just measured the rear eye on my stock springs and it was very close to 7/8. I measured the stock leaf spring rubber bushing and it was the same. I do not have SS springs so maybe the SS springs come with larger OD bushings.
Otherwise, in a stock A body Mopar, the upper and lower REAR leaf spring bushings are the same 7/8" OD.

Treblig

You are correct. Stock are 7/8 SS and most after market springs us a one inch eye. However the energy suspension poly bushings part number 2.2117g (AUtoZone) allows you to use your factory A body shackles. They have the 1/2 inch ID with 1 inch OD.

By the way Roughidle, US Cartool makes a great kit for what you are doing. It has a re-enforcing plate that goes around the frame rail like a "U" with a hole in it. It also is self locating off of the factory bolt holes for the rear bracket.

The factory "Big Hole" isn't quite in the right place...

Attachments

• IMG_0399x.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0405x.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0402x.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 305
The factory "Big Hole" isn't quite in the right place...

Nice pics!!!!
PS - Maybe they put the large hole in the frame further back so you can run taller tires. I know I had to put a spacer in front of the forward spring mount so keep my big tires from hitting the front edge of the rear wheel opening.
treblig

Here is some pics from the USCartool site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 349
Thanks FJ5. I can make them here in the shop. So just to make sure - I'm using Super Stock springs - I want a tube with and ID of 1"....

Thanks!

-
Back