1. zakimodo

zakimodo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:57 PM
    Hi All

This weekend I was installing some pinion angle shims. As such, I had to change out the center pin to one that was a little taller.

I removed the driverside pin having forgotten to clamp the springs together (like I did on the passenger side) and only the bottom two short leaves fell off. The rest of the spring pack held together. I have never had leaf springs apart but would have thought that all of the leaves would have tried to separate.

To add to my suspicion, when I jacked the car up. I noticed that the driver's side didn't sag near as much as the passenger side.

These are ~11 year old SS springs (I think I have two drivers side springs, I know they are the same)

2. Murray

Murray FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:57 PM
    Longer leaves have clamps on their ends, will try to separate but won't fall off.

3. zakimodo

zakimodo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:57 PM
    Good point. I didn't see them want to separate at all.

4. Murray

Murray FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:57 PM
    Might be normal as longer leafs usually have similar arcs- not a lot of pressure to separate. I rebuilt the original springs on my '68 cuda 383, arcs between the individual leafs was not that great, but still enough to require a clamp to assemble the center bolt. Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.