Sprint Car - Almost time to back it in.

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
Perhaps some of you guys remember my post about building a sprint car, well here's the progress report.

In February 2016 I began with this

WP_20160320_004.jpg

Now it's this

WP_20161216_23_22_52_Pro.jpg

And naturally it's gonna have a Mopar.

Engine:
Starting with a 68 318 block out of a Barracuda, OE Forged 273 crank offset ground, 70's JE 3.940 Forged Dome Pistons, probably gonna use aftermarket Chevy Rods. I have a set of W-2's but can't afford the valvetrain, I also have hilborn injection manifolds but can't afford to finish purchasing all the small miscellaneous items to complete the system. So for the time being I'm gonna port some stock 318 heads, race valve job, slightly larger valves, and use a Weiand high rise dual plane intake. Need to find a set of 273 forged rockers to use with the solid lifter cam. Probably going to use Ferrea Valves, and Comp springs, locks, retainers, seals, and cam. Goal is 475-500 hp with ~326 c.i. and about 15:1 compression, running on ethanol or methanol. Holley carb will top it all off. Still need to get a Hughes Main Stud Girdle Kit. So many people have helped me get this far. Any help is welcome, none of this is gonna happen unless I can get some support from sponsors/donors. If you want to help in anyway, let me know. I still need to acquire most of the engine parts. A friend is going to show me how to do all the machining myself. If you need advertisement or know someone who does, it is tax deductible for businesses. Projected expenses to finish the engine are approximately $2500, expenses to finish the car are approximately $1500; most of which is safety equipment.

Thanks for reading. Comments welcome, not criticism though. I'm not looking to answer "Why are you building a 318 and not a 360?" "Why are you building a sprint car if you're on such a tight budget?" or any other questions like this. However, if you're curious as to how I've gotten this far, and what my plans are for the upcoming months and years; fire away. :)

Last edited:
Looking good! I like the paint scheme.

Where do you race? Gunna run wing or non-winged? What class? Your horse would put you in what we call "sportsman". Entry level hobby guys, just out to have a good time and enjoy themselves. Think of it as ASCS lite. Most of them run 500-600 horse setups, small wing, theres some cam/lifter restrictions and weight restrictions as well. Just a good way to spend a friday and saturday night and have some fun.

totally unrelated...but is the yellow duster in the first picture the same car as the blue one in the second picture?

and im sure a 318 in a car that light will still move it plenty

Looking good! I like the paint scheme.

Where do you race? Gunna run wing or non-winged? What class? Your horse would put you in what we call "sportsman". Entry level hobby guys, just out to have a good time and enjoy themselves. Think of it as ASCS lite. Most of them run 500-600 horse setups, small wing, theres some cam/lifter restrictions and weight restrictions as well. Just a good way to spend a friday and saturday night and have some fun.

Thanks! I appreciate it! I drew up the paint scheme on the computer, cut all the vinyl and applied it all myself. I also made all the body panels out of aluminum myself (excluding hood and tail tank). My home track is Ventura Raceway, I've been involved for almost 12 years, raced nearly 9. Hopefully I can get more support and sponsors as I get more experience and spread to Bakersfield, Santa Maria, Perris, then move north. I'm going to be running wingless, they don't really run wings down here in SoCal. Hopefully within the next 3 years I can run a full season with USAC West Coast 360's. I'm going to be racing with VRA, which uses the same rules essentially. All the cars have hilborn injection, I'm gonna be down on power quite a bit; between probably 100-200 hp. I'm not worried about it though (a 360 won the annual 410 race) I need seat time most importantly. Ventura is a small track at 1/5th mile so I should be able to get away with it. It's my passion for sure and I enjoy it more than anything, but I also want to make it into a profession. I'd like to race with CRA and the USAC National series in a few years. Basically our engines around here are ASCS engines. The only rules are regarding heads, restrictions, titanium engine components, and displacement. Vehicle weight rule is 1500 lbs with driver. Everyone runs aluminum heads (except me :D)

I'll post pictures of my past progress and any future progress to keep everyone updated.

totally unrelated...but is the yellow duster in the first picture the same car as the blue one in the second picture?

and im sure a 318 in a car that light will still move it plenty

No, that Duster is my father's car. He just got it recently. That one has a 440 in it.

I'm sure 318 is gonna be fine, as long as it runs well and all the parts are matched. Having less power might actually help the car hook up. And on a dry slick track, horsepower won't matter at all. With the track being literally on the beach, it goes dry pretty often.

Thanks! I appreciate it! I drew up the paint scheme on the computer, cut all the vinyl and applied it all myself. I also made all the body panels out of aluminum myself (excluding hood and tail tank). My home track is Ventura Raceway, I've been involved for almost 12 years, raced nearly 9. Hopefully I can get more support and sponsors as I get more experience and spread to Bakersfield, Santa Maria, Perris, then move north. I'm going to be running wingless, they don't really run wings down here in SoCal. Hopefully within the next 3 years I can run a full season with USAC West Coast 360's. I'm going to be racing with VRA, which uses the same rules essentially. All the cars have hilborn injection, I'm gonna be down on power quite a bit; between probably 100-200 hp. I'm not worried about it though (a 360 won the annual 410 race) I need seat time most importantly. Ventura is a small track at 1/5th mile so I should be able to get away with it. It's my passion for sure and I enjoy it more than anything, but I also want to make it into a profession. I'd like to race with CRA and the USAC National series in a few years. Basically our engines around here are ASCS engines. The only rules are regarding heads, restrictions, titanium engine components, and displacement. Vehicle weight rule is 1500 lbs with driver. Everyone runs aluminum heads (except me :D)

I'll post pictures of my past progress and any future progress to keep everyone updated.

That's awesome! I used to work with sprint cars. Love the smell of methanol and dirt in the face.

Wingless should be a lot of fun in a car that light. Squirrely little suckers. You may be down on power, but on a 1/5 track I doubt that will have a huge impact. With no front or back stretch to really wring it out on, build it with a tight power band, gear it right and just sit on it. It's going to be all about the corner and the cushion on a track like that. Find a good line, hit and stick it. And you should be able to keep up with the pack.

Should be a lot of fun! Hope you find some sponsors and get to race at more tracks and in more series.

That's awesome! I used to work with sprint cars. Love the smell of methanol and dirt in the face.

Wingless should be a lot of fun in a car that light. Squirrely little suckers. You may be down on power, but on a 1/5 track I doubt that will have a huge impact. With no front or back stretch to really wring it out on, build it with a tight power band, gear it right and just sit on it. It's going to be all about the corner and the cushion on a track like that. Find a good line, hit and stick it. And you should be able to keep up with the pack.

Should be a lot of fun! Hope you find some sponsors and get to race at more tracks and in more series.

Gearing is gonna be the key for sure. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

dont let negativity get to you! its the budget racer that use's his mind that finds speed not the deep pockets that buy fast equipment,..gonna hafta turn the snot outta a 318 to get the power the others have! really need to use them W2's look for mopar people in your area see if you can get them W2's ready for a sponsorship deal...or find some body trade you what you need for some things you got you dont need... cant give up but so much competitiveness before your just lap traffic,...witch will be disappointing experience for you...keep after it,..itll all come together when its spose to...dwb

-
Back