Sputtering Slant 6

-

Vali68

Reaction score
This morning when I started the Valiant, it was sounding like the motor was struggling to stay running. once I got her to idle, I went to drive away and she sputters and feels like she has no power all the way to work!!! Could it be she needs some additive to her gas tank or do I have a more serious issue starting?

No, it doesn't need an additive poured into the gas tank. It needs some attention, probably to the carburetor and choke for a starting point. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread.

Since it's a daily driver and I can't afford to have the car down for a day, Can I clean up the carb with it still intact on the motor until I can get to it this weekend? Walking to work and back is not an option right now.

You can try. Get a can of a good brand of carburetor cleaner (I like Berryman B12 Chemtool) and clean up the carb throat and all the nozzles and passageways accessible from the top.

You can try. Get a can of a good brand of carburetor cleaner (I like Berryman B12 Chemtool) and clean up the carb throat and all the nozzles and passageways accessible from the top.
Ok. This is strange. When I got in the car to come home from work, I started her up and she ran like nothing had ever happened. Had plenty of power and wasn't sputtering a bit like she was on the morning drive into work!!!!!
I wonder if I didn't get some crap fuel or if the fuel filter is causing the issue? I pulled 3 of the plugs to see if any were fouled and they look like they are burning like they should. I know the carb needs a good cleaning though.
Maybe I should replace the fuel filter as well? those aren't very expensive. On the drive to work this morning, she did fine again. Not sure what that was. I live in Southern California. Dry as a bone here!!!!! So I know it wasn't due to water or cold weather!!!!!!!

yeppers - sure sounds like there is something floating around in your fuel - a new filter can't hurt - but a tank and line purge may be more in order... IF this comes back. For now, change the filter and see how it goes..

yeppers - sure sounds like there is something floating around in your fuel - a new filter can't hurt - but a tank and line purge may be more in order... IF this comes back. For now, change the filter and see how it goes..
thanks.

-
Back