Squeaky leaf spring shackles

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
They have squeaked almost since new........
What'sthe best solution?
I tried spraying them with various lubes......

Jeff

They have squeaked almost since new........
What'sthe best solution?
I tried spraying them with various lubes......

Jeff

Did you use factory style rubber or poly? I used original style when rebuilding the springs and they make no noise.

Did you use factory style rubber or poly? I used original style when rebuilding the springs and they make no noise.
I think poly.....maybe I should just buy some rubber ones?
Can I buy just the rubber parts???

Jeff

If they're poly you need to be using poly grease. You're not going to spray that on, so, you're using the wrong lube.

Lubricated properly the poly bushings won't squeak.

If they're poly you need to be using poly grease. You're not going to spray that on, so, you're using the wrong lube.

Lubricated properly the poly bushings won't squeak.
Just Googled it....didn't realize there was a special poly grease...
I'll give it a try! !!

Jeff

Just Googled it....didn't realize there was a special poly grease...
I'll give it a try! !!

Jeff

Pretty much all the bushings come with those little packets. But really you need everything they give you in those little packets and then some.
ptp-19-1750_ml.jpg

Prothane Super Grease 19-1750

I just have two grease guns, one for standard and one for poly.

I think it's the one thing sold by Hotchkis that's cheaper
Hotchkis Sport Suspension Super Grease 3101

vs the prothane
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-1751/overview/

Pretty much all the bushings come with those little packets. But really you need everything they give you in those little packets and then some.
View attachment 1715190214
Prothane Super Grease 19-1750

I just have two grease guns, one for standard and one for poly.

I think it's the one thing sold by Hotchkis that's cheaper
Hotchkis Sport Suspension Super Grease 3101

vs the prothane
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-1751/overview/
Thanks.....I can't wait to end that damn squeaking!!!
I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Jeff

Thanks.....I can't wait to end that damn squeaking!!!
I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Jeff

Yeah just grease the ever-loving crap out of them, then wipe off the excess after you assemble them. That's why I like greaseable LCA pivot pins and zerks on anything with poly bushings. Haven't seen an easy solution for greasing the shackle bushings though. Can't really put a zerk on the leaf spring, and I haven't seen greaseable shackle bolts...

You can get greaseable shackels for leaf spring pick up trucks, they come in 1/2” so you might have to change your leaf spring bushings. Keeping lots of grease in them makes a noticeable difference.

This may be a silly question,
can the shackle bushings be removed and installed with the leaf springs and rear axle in place?
Thanks

The only poly bushings I used for resto on my car was the front anti sway bar to k-frame brackets as they were all I could find and like blue says put it on liberally and wipe off the excess after installed. Those Anti sway bar bushings are tough but with lots of the correct lube and 2 blocks of wood with a half round notch in them + 2 clamps they will pop right in the mount bracket.

Last edited:
If you've got everything supported on jack stands, yes.

Yes

But understand if you put jack stands under the axle the rear shackles are still under load. You need to unload the rear springs enough but not to much and it will be easy. Place the stands under the front perch area with 2-4 inches of tires above the ground first. Then with The jack under the center of the axle you can raise and lower it as needed to facilitate the swap. Fortunately the rear bushings are slip in.

Last edited:
-
Back