Squealing Belts?

-

wheelsport

Reaction score
After I installed a cam and 4 barrel carb, I herd what I thought is belts making noise. I fiddiled with the belts for a few months without success so I removed them and started the engine. The squeal was still there. I removed the damper and checked for something possibly rubbing. After close insepection, I could find no signs of anything that would cause the noise. The only possibility I could think of is the crank seal, that had only a small amount of oil on the sealing surfaces. I pushed some grease into the seal area and reassembled the parts. The sqeal still occures upon startup. Is it possible that the seal is too hard putting too much pressure on the surface of damper sealing surface? There is less than 200 miles on the engine sinse installing the cam.

Did you paint the pulleys while you had it apart? If you paint inside the grooves of a pulley they are going to make noise. It will eventually wear down and grab but takes MANY MANY miles to do so.

I am assuming the sealing surface of the harmonic damper is not painted... I see you removed the belts and it still squealed but otherwise, you can pour water on a belt and if it goes away, it is the belt, if it remains, it is usually a bearing. Did you remove the alternator belt? If not, pour water on the belt and if it remains, I would say it is an alternator bearing.

If the belts are removed squirt some water behind the harmonic balancer. Crank oil slinger facing the right direction ? Just guessing IDK .

Kendog and Chewy may have something there. Just to make sure, what is the correct direction for the slinger when I remove the front cover to find out?

The cup of the oil slinger should be pointed outwards towards the timing cover.

After tearing the front cover off, the oil slinger cup is facing forward toward the front, in front of the crank gear. I will install a new seal & gasket and see what happens.

Curious, was there any marks on the timing cover where it may have been making contact?

I had issues with an aftermarket oil slinger that came in a kit that didn't fit the 273 correctly and was contacting the timing cover. I ended up reusing my old one to get rid of the screeching.

Have you eliminated the possibility that it is just worn belts? The drive friction is delivered by the sides of the belt, and if the sides are too worn down the belt will bottom out in the pulley groove. When this happens, no amount of tightening it will make the sides of the belt contact the sides of the pulley again with sufficient force to avoid squealing.

After I installed a cam and 4 barrel carb, I herd what I thought is belts making noise. I fiddiled with the belts for a few months without success so I removed them and started the engine. The squeal was still there. I removed the damper and checked for something possibly rubbing. After close insepection, I could find no signs of anything that would cause the noise. The only possibility I could think of is the crank seal, that had only a small amount of oil on the sealing surfaces. I pushed some grease into the seal area and reassembled the parts. The sqeal still occures upon startup. Is it possible that the seal is too hard putting too much pressure on the surface of damper sealing surface? There is less than 200 miles on the engine sinse installing the cam.
Transmisson dust cover scrapping on the flex plate.
Just spit balling

When I first heard noise I replaced the belts and sanded the pulleys. I removed the damper and checked all surfaces for possible rubbing. There was no signs of rubbing anywhere. A round piece of felt came with the gasket set, which I placed behind the seal. I assumed it is supposed to soak up excess oil to reduce chances of seal leak. Should I have soaked it in oil instead?

The felt washer fits in the cup on the dampener if it has one, as you see in the picture. Some use it others pitch it, it is up to you. The cup area on the dampener must be shinny OR the felt washer well just spin with the dampener and rub a nice circular area on the timing cover. Not to be soaked in oil....

feltwasher.jpg

That's probably why the seal is making noise! The felt washer was stopping the oil from getting to the seal. Thanks so much for all of you guys.

That's probably why the seal is making noise! The felt washer was stopping the oil from getting to the seal.

WHAT?! That is not why the felt is there for. That felt washer is placed outside of the timing cover.... you are better off throwing the felt washer away. IMO

-
Back