SS Barracuda front Bumper

-

SSing

Reaction score
In the SS Guide it says outer brackets were deleted.
Can we nail that?
Also I once read something about the brackets being made out of thinner than the OEM material?
It would be nice, if we could get this relatively easy to confirme info correct, in this Forum. Don´t you think?
fornt bumper FABO.jpg

Last edited:
I read that as well. Looking in all the old photos I don’t ever remember coming across a photo where some of the bumper bolts were missing as if the outer brackets were not there. I found no notation in Bobs notes saying those brackets were removed. In other words…..I’m not sure if they were there or not.

So, we have two posts, thank you, saying both brackets.
But, like I said, in a forum like this it would be nice with a little more info...

So, we have two posts, thank you, saying both brackets.
But, like I said, in a forum like this it would be nice with a little more info...
IMO- You can only get specifics about a 50+ year old Holy Grail factory built race car if they're available, correct? So unless and until a contributor can verify facts, it is what it is. Especially in a forum like this. Most everyone here is interested in the nuances of these cars. It's an enthusiasts puzzle.

Looking through the original paper work that I have, this is what I have found. In this photo it shows the part number for the thinner bumper, pn# 2836913. Then it shows the new replacement pn# 2768584 and 2768585. In the description it says “outer”. Are they referring to the small outer brackets that goes from the bumper to the fender or the actual outer bumper brackets??
image.jpg

In this photo again it references the front bumper and it’s noted as “Light Weight”. This list is of all the different items and who is responsible for getting those parts. Funny thing is mentions nothing about the “outer” bumper brackets.
image.jpg

And last but not least is this. It tells what is different from the factory part. As I said before Bob told me when they made these bumpers that stacked two pieces of metal together and then stamped it. Then they removed the inner piece.
image.jpg

So with all this being said and all the reading I’ve done I see no proof (as of yet) that when these cars were assembled they left out any bumper brackets. In these notes nothing tells me what was different with pn# 2768584-5 “outer” brackets but something was different or the number would not have superseded. Nothing in the assembly notes say “leave out the inner brackets”
So to answer your question, my answer is, I don’t know. LOL!!

Ok, fun fact! Here is a very early picture of Dick Landy’s automatic Dart. See the red Circe?, if there were both inner and outer brackets there would be a nut and bolt here holding both the inner and outer brackets together. There is no bolt and it’s hard to see but there is no outer bracket either. I remember seeing this car many years ago after it’s restoration and while it was running the outer ends of the bumper we’re shaking and moving around all over the place. I do want to remind everybody that the original question is asking about a Barracuda and this is a Dart. ALSO, this was a very early car and it is a little different the the production Hurst cars.

2ADD5B6A-3B98-4979-A8BA-0245E3A7A37F.jpeg

Ok, fun fact! Here is a very early picture of Dick Landy’s automatic Dart. See the red Circe?, if there were both inner and outer brackets there would be a nut and bolt here holding both the inner and outer brackets together. There is no bolt and it’s hard to see but there is no outer bracket either. I remember seeing this car many years ago after it’s restoration and while it was running the outer ends of the bumper we’re shaking and moving around all over the place. I do want to remind everybody that the original question is asking about a Barracuda and this is a Dart. ALSO, this was a very early car and it is a little different the the production Hurst cars.

View attachment 1715922134

Yes,

View attachment 1715922134
Thank you for taking the time and show us this.
Let´s see if we can have someone else to chime in...

So with this pic from a very valid car, and my first picture and together with the SS Guide, (Jim Schild) I´d say outer braket was deleted.
Check...
inner bumper braket.jpg

So with this pic from a very valid car, and my first picture and together with the SS Guide, (Jim Schild) I´d say outer braket was deleted.
Check...
View attachment 1716059327

Nice picture

But what does a “very valid car” mean?

When was that picture taken?

If it was an early picture, when in its early life was it taken? As delivered, racer prep after delivery, as raced early, etc?

What car was it?

Yes, but tell us a little bit more about it...
Bought it from the original owner in 78. All he did was paint it still had all the original parts on it except the drivers door glass. I used to drive it back and forth to work every day. Really a neat car. Weighted 3180 with a 1/4 tank of gas. Automatic car with a 8 3/4 till I broke it then I installed a dana.

Bought it from the original owner in 78. All he did was paint it still had all the original parts on it except the drivers door glass. I used to drive it back and forth to work every day. Really a neat car. Weighted 3180 with a 1/4 tank of gas. Automatic car with a 8 3/4 till I broke it then I installed a dana.
Nice, well it´s possible Chrysler decided this wasn´t gonna work on the hevier Dart bumper.
But admit it, it makes sense, Chrysler wanted to remove all weight they could, from up front.
Thank you. Lets hope outhers dear to chim in...

Nice picture

But what does a “very valid car” mean?

When was that picture taken?

If it was an early picture, when in its early life was it taken? As delivered, racer prep after delivery, as raced early, etc?

What car was it?
A picture I recently took of Jim Kramers Barracuda.
So together from what I know, what Jim Schild says and total lack of any information saying the Cuda, when leaving Lynch Road had both bumper brackets, It´s outer bumper bracket delete.

And you all, how about turning this discusson around. Go talk to original owners and hear what they say. No, not many left, but there are people out there knowing this. I´m sure.

Nice, well it´s possible Chrysler decided this wasn´t gonna work on the hevier Dart bumper.
But admit it, it makes sense, Chrysler wanted to remove all weight they could, from up front.

I do not believe this is true. I have some photos from 1968 of the cars before they were delivered but I'll have to locate them, may take a little while.

Other than people that were there I just don't know how we got sooooo many experts out there when only about 120 total s/s cars were produced.

I worked in Hamtramck and personally seen these cars up close in 68. I worked in a garage starting in 65 and seen/worked on a lot and owned a lot of Mopars and Chevy's and Fords almost purchased a real 65 SS Chevelle Z11 then but I'm still not calling myself an expert but a lot of people come to me for references. Sure glad I grew up when and where I did. But I think the best times I had were in a 65 dart gt I had, put a 340 in the old girl and was quite the sleeper. Great times back then. Now I'm old but NOT slow. lol

Other than people that were there I just don't know how we got sooooo many experts out there when only about 120 total s/s cars were produced.
No, you are right, I wasn´t there…
In 1968 I learned how to shoot and drive a 50 ton Centurion Tank.
In 1972 at the age of 23, I started farming my parents’ place.
And in the evenings, I read Car Magazines. Now hold your laughter for a while. I wasn´t there, remember…
In 1976 I knew enough to build this Dart.
I went with the local Speed Shop owner here in Sweden to Clinton, Indiana to a guy who had a Post Order Business and picked up what I needed. Used parts we found in Terre Haute not far from Clinton. Like a flat hood for the ´68 GTS I just got home from Florida. Another guy fond a ´66 Hemi engine and trans for me. Dart looked good, but didn´t have many of the special bits and pieces I later came to learn about.
Prior to all this, I had owned one of the most iconic Mopar A-bodies there is. A ´71 340 Duster 4-speed Shark and Rallye. Yes, we could have it all here in Sweden. After 1971, when prices dropped in the US, thousands and thousands of muscle cars arrived. Went with a friend to look at a 429 Boss even…
But what we didn´t have was a Hurst build SS Hemi. So, I kept on gathering info.
Soon Internet became a good source of information. But you need to evaluate every claim people make and every picture people post. I understood and became good at that. Also important, what year are we talking, or is this picture taken?
Best decision I made was, when I decided my project build, was going be a SS/B recreation. NHRA did not allow any modifications to the body, meaning car was basically original for the first two years. Now I could pinpoint my search.
I found out about the DVFX-468 4-speed shifter used on the manual trans. cars. Don´t think Chrysler went to Hurst and asked them to make this special welded shifter handle. Why would they? Shifter was already out there. That is how I found it.
Couple years ago I posted the first ever picture showing what it really looked like…
And funny, just the other day, an article of Hall and Williams Hemi Dart, had a good picture of the shifter in the car and since rubber boot is not on (it wasn´t when delivered in ´68) you get a good viwe of it.
And I found out about alu seat brackets not being drilled according to the blueprint found in Jim Schild SS Guide. Big Deal? Maybe not. But I know how and where three new holes have to be drilled in the floor pan, to bolt these seats up correct. Crazy, when you think new brackets were specially made. The story why brackets were drilled this way, I probably never will find out. Not through this forum anyway.
I can ramble on about parts and stuff in engine compartment and over spry and trunk and interior details I have found out about and solved, but I end here, mentioning the Master Cylinder Assembly and the white marking on it. But I´m sure you know all about that too… You were there…
Early pic of Castaldo Dart master Cylinder.
And since you see this white marking in Super Stock & DI Magazine June ´68 Sox Martin Car, and Dave Wren Car early pic and the Mule Car and a couple more real early pics, I know this is not bull…

20171227 1978 Hemi Dart pic.jpg

20220518 1976 GTS pic.jpg

20180710 DVFX shifter.jpg

20170312 Castaldo Master Cyl..jpg

20201108 Master Cyl Assy.jpg

Last edited:
No, you are right, I wasn´t there…
In 1968 I learned how to shoot and drive a 50 ton Centurion Tank.
In 1972 at the age of 23, I started farming my parents’ place.
And in the evenings, I read Car Magazines. Now hold your laughter for a while. I wasn´t there, remember…
In 1976 I knew enough to build this Dart.
I went with the local Speed Shop owner here in Sweden to Clinton, Indiana to a guy who had a Post Order Business and picked up what I needed. Used parts we found in Terre Haute not far from Clinton. Like a flat hood for the ´68 GTS I just got home from Florida. Another guy fond a ´66 Hemi engine and trans for me. Dart looked good, but didn´t have many of the special bits and pieces I later came to learn about.
Prior to all this, I had owned one of the most iconic Mopar A-bodies there is. A ´71 340 Duster 4-speed Shark and Rallye. Yes, we could have it all here in Sweden. After 1971, when prices dropped in the US, thousands and thousands of muscle cars arrived. Went with a friend to look at a 429 Boss even…
But what we didn´t have was a Hurst build SS Hemi. So, I kept on gathering info.
Soon Internet became a good source of information. But you need to evaluate every claim people make and every picture people post. I understood and became good at that. Also important, what year are we talking, or is this picture taken?
Best decision I made was, when I decided my project build, was going be a SS/B recreation. NHRA did not allow any modifications to the body, meaning car was basically original for the first two years. Now I could pinpoint my search.
I found out about the DVFX-468 4-speed shifter used on the manual trans. cars. Don´t think Chrysler went to Hurst and asked them to make this special welded shifter handle. Why would they? Shifter was already out there. That is how I found it.
Couple years ago I posted the first ever picture showing what it really looked like…
And funny, just the other day, an article of Hall and Williams Hemi Dart, had a good picture of the shifter in the car and since rubber boot is not on (it wasn´t when delivered in ´68) you get a good viwe of it.
And I found out about alu seat brackets not being drilled according to the blueprint found in Jim Schild SS Guide. Big Deal? Maybe not. But I know how and where three new holes have to be drilled in the floor pan, to bolt these seats up correct. Crazy, when you think new brackets were specially made. The story why brackets were drilled this way, I probably never will find out. Not through this forum anyway.
I can ramble on about parts and stuff in engine compartment and over spry and trunk and interior details I have found out about and solved, but I end here, mentioning the Master Cylinder Assembly and the white marking on it. But I´m sure you know all about that too… You were there…
Early pic of Castaldo Dart master Cylinder.
And since you see this white marking in Super Stock & DI Magazine June ´68 Sox Martin Car, and Dave Wren Car early pic and the Mule Car and a couple more real early pics, I know this is not bull…

View attachment 1716060607

View attachment 1716060608

View attachment 1716060609

View attachment 1716060610

View attachment 1716060611

i wasn't trying to be an *** about it but I'll try now! So you owned one of the most iconic A bodies ever. We'll I guess that factory Hemi Dart I owned wasn't an iconic Mopar or the 69 Dart M code 440 car or my 69 Dart GTS 383 or the number of Formula S cars or the 340 Dusters or the triple black 69 Hemi RR o I forgot this is just A bodies or the 273 Hipo convertible GT Dart and on and on and on and on. Ya I don't know ****. But I do know about the white mark. Sorry I just don't/didn't own any CLONES!

-
Back