Ss leaf springs on 72 Scamp ...stock length shocks???

-

Caliscamp72

Mostly sane GM Destroyer
Reaction score
So I'm nosing around in the forums search and see conflicting info on the use of stock length shocks because of the ride height change with Ss springs ?? Does anyone know for sure if longer shocks are needed ? Or is it just time to measure eye to eye( shock mounts) while compressed and extended ( leaf spring)? . I feel like this should be a known issue . I'm wanting to go with Vikings and as I say I have Ss springs and cal tracks std. Two hole system . Thanks in advance !

Yes, check out '71 Chrysler Imperial rear shock dimensions. A 50/50 gas shock works on a budget, or some race adjustable same dimensions.

My guess is you wouldn´t need longer shocks unless you are at the track using slicks.
Street tires don´t get the bite to lift the body very much .
Pic is of 25" long Imperial Shock.
NOS Imperial Rear Shocks FB.jpg

Yes, check out '71 Chrysler Imperial rear shock dimensions. A 50/50 gas shock works on a budget, or some race adjustable same dimensions.
I have a new pair boxed up for shipment, I installed them, then pulled them off for a caltrac system I got a deal on. Never got out of the garage. IF INTERESTED.

I have a new pair boxed up for shipment, I installed them, then pulled them off for a caltrac system I got a deal on. Never got out of the garage. IF INTERESTED.
Thanks bob but I'm going with Viking DA ,they have the right length .

Mine topped out the stock shocks with ss springs. Don't run them.

Your pinion snubbed can't do it's job without longer shocks, regardless of which springs use.
the Imperial shocks were recommended by Chrysler back when they first started offering the springs, their longer and a little stiffer and work.

Can you elaborate on this please...
Thanks
The pinion snubber converts torque to a downward motion of the axle, which plants the tires. Short shocks won't allow full drop out of the axle..stopping it abruptly just as the weight of the car begins to transfer rearward.

What you say is "pinion snubbed can't do it's job without longer shocks, regardless of which springs use".
You may very well be right about this, I just don´t understand what you mean.
I mean there are quite a few variables here. Tire/rim combination indicate you are at the track?

What you say is "pinion snubbed can't do it's job without longer shocks, regardless of which springs use".
You may very well be right about this, I just don´t understand what you mean.
I mean there are quite a few variables here. Tire/rim combination indicate you are at the track?
Over thinking,it man..

The pinion snubber converts torque to a downward motion of the axle, which plants the tires. Short shocks won't allow full drop out of the axle..stopping it abruptly just as the weight of the car begins to transfer rearward.

Yes, well I got the impression this ´72 Scamp is a street car, and as such the SS Springs are not working at their full potential Since in order to transfer the to torque and lift the body, you need a good bite.

-
Back