SS SEAT BELT DOOR GLASS MECHANISM

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Before I reinvent the wheel, does anyone have some good pics for the seat belt door mechanism? I assume that this set up is good for plastic glass.

Jim Kramer has the window strap for the Super Stockers . I always thought they were seat belts with the buckle attached to the bottom of the door . When you pushed the latch button the window could be lowered . Not until I saw a completely unmolested Hemi Dart last summer . It is a strap , yes , but it has a snap attached to the inner door skin and the female side is attached to the strap . Releasing the snap allows the window to be lowered . I was blown away by this car as I always thought all the SS Darts/Cudas were modified in some way . Coolest thing I ever saw .

Crude or not those cars are a work of art.in my case a set of monocoques/a x ram hemi/ss hood scoop,not being buried in the car pricewise will make me content.I need to be working on the v codes.

I dont know how accurate this is because my car is not a SS car but I have straps for my windows.

This is how an old timer said it was done back in his day.

20190422_203427_zpspjpdzokt.jpg

20190222_144202_zpsvqtvf6eo.jpg

20190222_144213_zpst73qi6ra.jpg

These are just bolted to the bottom of the glass track.

My windows are glass and they hold just fine, so lexan would be no problem.

You may want to make some sort of stop so the window cant fall out the bottom of the track. For some reason my driver widow will fall out the bottom. To fix this I just put 2 more snaps that hold it in the down position.

After I did this side I figured out it's way easier to place the Male side on the door frame first. Then have someone hold the window up. Use a center punch and push through the belt into the center of the snap. Use that hole to locate the female side of the snap.

This way they won't be staggered like in the daylight pic. The pic in the dark you can see they line up nice. Daylight is driver door, night is passenger door.

Last edited:
Have you found any wear or fraying where the snap fasteners are attached to the seat belt webbing? How snug and/or how much tension on the belt to keep the window up?

My friends dart just has snap buttons on it. That car has been a racecar since day one. The last guy that owned it died about 25 years ago and his wife just couldn't let the car go. He never got to see it complet. It's very rust free and solid but pretty dusty and crusty from sitting around so long. The windows work perfectly!
IMAG1210.jpg

No wear or fraying.
The belt is tight when the window is up. some what of a pain in the but to get it on the snaps.
I've got a system. I pull tight then kinda hold the strap with my one hand while snapping it on with the other. It's kinda hard because theres no room to pull the strap away from the door.

It's hard to explain but is plain. As day when you play with the strap.

If the strap is not tight your window wont seal.

Buy your snaps from a boat canvas store. Mine are just cheep ones from a craft store but I don't have faith that they will last forever. The snaps on my boat cover are 40 years old and still hold the cover nice and tight. When these wear out I'll go find a boat canvas company and buy some quality ones.

I dont know how accurate this is because my car is not a SS car but I have straps for my windows.

This is how an old timer said it was done back in his day.

View attachment 1715324902

View attachment 1715324905

View attachment 1715324906

These are just bolted to the bottom of the glass track.

My windows are glass and they hold just fine, so lexan would be no problem.

You may want to make some sort of stop so the window cant fall out the bottom of the track. For some reason my driver widow will fall out the bottom. To fix this I just put 2 more snaps that hold it in the down position.

After I did this side I figured out it's way easier to place the Male side on the door frame first. Then have someone hold the window up. Use a center punch and push through the belt into the center of the snap. Use that hole to locate the female side of the snap.

This way they won't be staggered like in the daylight pic. The pic in the dark you can see they line up nice. Daylight is driver door, night is passenger door.

We just had one snap on ours ---------

Like I said, I dont know how accurate this is compared to a factory SS car.

If I was building a million dollar car I certainly wouldn't just take my pic as the end all be all.

But I cant imagine that they used a much different design?

One snap or 2, bolts VS rivets holding the strap to the glass track. That type of stuff is so far beyond my pay grade it's not even funny.

I'm just building a race/street car and hate that the windows dont go down in my pops race cars.

Its HOT in the car. I didn't want fixed windows.

Like I said, I dont know how accurate this is compared to a factory SS car.

If I was building a million dollar car I certainly wouldn't just take my pic as the end all be all.

But I cant imagine that they used a much different design?

One snap or 2, bolts VS rivets holding the strap to the glass track. That type of stuff is so far beyond my pay grade it's not even funny.

I'm just building a race/street car and hate that the windows dont go down in my pops race cars.

Its HOT in the car. I didn't want fixed windows.

How did you connect the seatbelt to the glass itself? Did you just get bulk seatbelt material for these or did you buy specific ones?

I went to pick and pull and just cut the belts out of some random car. The hard part was finding belts in black to match my doors.

I bolted the strap to the old track on the window. I cant post pics from where I'm at (poor service here) but I'll up load a pic of the attachment later tonight.

Here is how I did mine on both my Dart and Barracuda.
Ordered seatbelt material off eBay and got the snaps from Michael’s. Folded over the ends of the strap and sewed it on my daughter sewing machine for added strength. Measured were it add the snap and installed. Used the factory retainers to hold the strap to the glass. On the back side I added a washer to keep the strap in place. That is it!!
B788EF4E-E5D2-458E-9C36-F79987D5DBE3.jpeg
C4489D09-46D1-4750-9378-C7743B96A0BE.jpeg
3F5EDAD8-CC1E-4A7A-B8C5-0A9CC403D910.jpeg
558DB043-2DA8-4E8E-8712-C14234F01C99.jpeg

-
Back