SS springs & sliders...

-
Apperently 11 people have and given reviews.... But oddly enough those reviews wont display... Hmmm

the reviews can be read under the picture of the item there are 3 tabs details, reviews,q&a

where and how do you mount them ? do you weld them to tbe trunk floor wtf am I missing here .

Well they look just like the AFCO sliders I use on my Duster with a set of AFCO leafs. Except those are about half the price of the AFCO's. Being speedway I'm sure they're made overseas, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't work. Pretty simple pieces really, just an axle that runs on some bearings in a track.

Now the leafs I run are zero arch, but again, I don't see how that would be a big difference to the SS springs. You might want the static point of the rear eye to be a little further forward so it doesn't hit the end of the track as the springs compress because they can elongate more than the zero arch springs because they're almost flat at ride height but that's about it.

@younggun2.0 runs a set of sliders, not sure if he has SS springs or not...

Last edited:
Wasn't talking that specific part...just used as a reference

ok thats what I was thinking but as a product they seem useless without including that mounting bracket you made as part of the kit .

ok thats what I was thinking but as a product they seem useless without including that mounting bracket you made as part of the kit .

Well I don't know about useless. They are a generic part though, so, some fabrication required. For my install with a 1/2" offset, or the stock spring location the easiest way is probably a bracket similar to what I made. Unfortunately the slider needs to be far enough forward that you just can't bolt/weld them to the frame support there.

Now, on a car with a 3" spring relocation you could just bolt or weld them right to the bottom of the frame rail. So, that would be pretty easy. I know younggun2.0 recessed his into the rail to lower his car further, but that's not necessary for most applications. Even just installing the slider in place of the shackle lowers the car slightly, it was around 3/8" or so on my car.

Well I don't know about useless. They are a generic part though, so, some fabrication required. For my install with a 1/2" offset, or the stock spring location the easiest way is probably a bracket similar to what I made. Unfortunately the slider needs to be far enough forward that you just can't bolt/weld them to the frame support there.

Now, on a car with a 3" spring relocation you could just bolt or weld them right to the bottom of the frame rail. So, that would be pretty easy. I know younggun2.0 recessed his into the rail to lower his car further, but that's not necessary for most applications. Even just installing the slider in place of the shackle lowers the car slightly, it was around 3/8" or so on my car.
Our Dart has relocated springs. Guessing that getting them placed so the springs don't run out of travel in the slider is pretty critical?

Our Dart has relocated springs. Guessing that getting them placed so the springs don't run out of travel in the slider is pretty critical?

Yup, that would be pretty important. Otherwise the slider block will limit the travel of the spring as it compresses and that could be a problem. They're supposed to be mounted so the rear eye bolt is a 1/2" back from the center of the track. That's about where mine was when I mounted it, but the springs settled a bit and it sits a bit further back than that now. You can see by the shiny mark on the track though that they don't get anywhere near the rear end of the track under normal conditions. But with the zero arch springs on my car they move further on forward on extension than they do back on compression. With SS springs I would make sure I left a little more room than I did. Of course the SS springs are pretty stiff too so maybe it isn't a big deal.

IMG_2566_zpsvhkdudkp.jpg

Yup. If the run out of travel the car will lose hook.

Yup, that would be pretty important. Otherwise the slider block will limit the travel of the spring as it compresses and that could be a problem. They're supposed to be mounted so the rear eye bolt is a 1/2" back from the center of the track. That's about where mine was when I mounted it, but the springs settled a bit and it sits a bit further back than that now. You can see by the shiny mark on the track though that they don't get anywhere near the rear end of the track under normal conditions. But with the zero arch springs on my car they move further on forward on extension than they do back on compression. With SS springs I would make sure I left a little more room than I did. Of course the SS springs are pretty stiff too so maybe it isn't a big deal.

View attachment 1715078410
Thanks for the input. Will the existing rubber bushings suffice?

My 65 uses sliders and SS springs. I welded 1/4" plate to my frame rail drilled and tapped holes and bolted the sliders. My springs are moved into the frame rail also. It seems to work good I think, it runs 11.70s with a 60foot around 1.53

Thanks for the input. Will the existing rubber bushings suffice?

In the rear eye? The AFCO's came with a solid bushing.

My 65 uses sliders and SS springs. I welded 1/4" plate to my frame rail drilled and tapped holes and bolted the sliders. My springs are moved into the frame rail also. It seems to work good I think, it runs 11.70s with a 60foot around 1.53

Now that sounds like a great way to mount them to the frame rail! Plenty strong and you can still remove them if they need service.

In the rear eye? The AFCO's came with a solid bushing.

Now that sounds like a great way to mount them to the frame rail! Plenty strong and you can still remove them if they need service.
Sorry for being a bit vague, yes, the rear eye.

After seeing a picture, i realise this is not what i had pictured.
Question.
Is this done mostly to get the car lower to the ground or is this a traction aid???

After seeing a picture, i realise this is not what i had pictured.
Question.
Is this done mostly to get the car lower to the ground or is this a traction aid???

The lowering is pretty minimal, I wouldn't install them just to lower the car. The reason it's done is that they improve spring reaction, reduce binding, and have less lateral flex than a set of shackles. They allow the leafs to move more freely and in a direction that better matches the spring action (shackles force the spring eye to travel in an arc).

now if I could just get you to fab me up a pair of those nifty brackets with say a 5/8 of inboard offset we could talk some binness eh lol !

View attachment 1715078410
Found these
gosset.jpg

Will they work with the S/S springs? The S/S springs are made to give your car the lift it needs when you come off the line, for traction, plus they are made to help control axle wrap. The way my car comes off the line, the sliders may not work with the S/S springs.

I understand what they are suppose to do on the street. Has anyone tried this set up at the track?

Given that Calvert sells them I would bet they work pretty well on the track.

The sliders just replace the rear shackles. They let the springs react faster, they just operate without binding. If you match the slider track angle to the angle of the springs, they also let the springs move as they’re supposed to instead of forcing them into an arc like the shackles do. Now if you change the height of the rear eye with how you mount the sliders that’ll change the geometry which can effect how the car leaves. But that’s not the slider, that’s the change in geometry.

-
Back