SS Springs

-

71Duster

Reaction score
The original springs in the rear of the Duster are looking a little tired and starting to hang low -strange how gravity effects so much with time- I heard about Mopar's SS springs bu not sure what their claim to fame is and if there ment for a street car. Or if somereplacement s prings are the ticket.

ss springs' claim to fame is that they have more bias in the passenger side spring to make the car launch straighter, since the car tends to roll toward the passenger side
some people don't like that they make the car sit lopsided in the back, and others don't notice it or don't care

their original intention back in the day was for Super Stock drag cars, but with the suspension technology advancements are now out of date, and most people use them for hot street/mild drag applications...or resto drag cars
i personally don't think they're necessary til you get into the 11s in the 1/4 mile...granted, they may help slower cars launch better, but i have not seen any direct comparison to prove that they are a huge difference....i'm leery about buying some because i think all they'll do for me is raise the rear of the car and i don't need that....

if you have a high horsepower car, consider caltracs with monoleafs....
if it's not a drag car, you may consider XHD springs from mancini...they supposedly provide about 1" lift in the rear over stock...

I went with the "Pro-Stock" springs that Mancini offers. They're supposed to be the same as the Super Stock springs, but a little cheaper. Plus they throw in a free set of shackles or u-bolts.

Check 'em out here:

http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/maboprsp301.html

Here's the stock spring:

p6110029.jpg

And here's the Pro-Stock spring (with longer drag shocks):

p6110031.jpg

Only problem I have with the mancini springs is I'm in Canada and the shipping is probably worth more then the springs. I doubt they have any Canadian distributors?

We put S/S springs on my sons Dart. I think they are great for a mild street/strip car. You dont have to spend a bunch of money on trick suspension stuff and they work nice on 11 and 12 second cars. His Dart you see here has everything stock in the suspension other then the S/S springs. No tubs and the springs are still in the stock location. It just ran 11.60's @ 116 with a 1.66 60 ft on worn out G/60-15 McCreary's. Ron

93042590.jpg

are those ss springs any stiffer compared to the stock springs? im thnking of those to but i already think my stock springs are stiff and dont realy want it to be stiffer..

mikel.....is that jack stand supporting any weight of the car, or is it just under there and not touching the frame???

green67cuda said:
mikel.....is that jack stand supporting any weight of the car, or is it just under there and not touching the frame???

I believe it was under the frame. I took that picture while I was changing the springs, only one side had been done at that point. I've got some "before and after" pictures that show how the car sits, I've just got to find them.

71Duster said:
Do the stock shocks have enough travel for the extra 2" of spring arch?

Those shocks I used, yes. They're "extra long drag shocks", they're used with the SS springs.

I also use the Mopar long shock in my car. comp Eng makes a long 3-way adjustable drag shock now thoough.

I have the ss springs on the swinger and now looking for shocks

can i run just say KYB's?

or do I need to run the long shocks,or C/E adjustables?

keep in mind i run this car on the street to.

thanks,bill

Anyone have a pic on how unlevel the car sits? And I'd like to see a pic of the mancino springs for height too. The dolalr is high enough and their springs are cheap but I gotta figure which I want. Dont want to put the *** too high up or have it really unlev el and ahve to explain my cars not broken to even passerby

What do you all think of having SS springs with lowering blocks to bring back stock ride height for a street car? I want my Swinger to handle like its on rails.

71Duster said:
Anyone have a pic on how unlevel the car sits? And I'd like to see a pic of the mancino springs for height too. The dolalr is high enough and their springs are cheap but I gotta figure which I want. Dont want to put the *** too high up or have it really unlev el and ahve to explain my cars not broken to even passerby

Once I get my car on the ground I'll take some pics of it with the Mancini springs. I have some somewhere, I'll look around and see if I can find them. If I can I'll post them. If not I'll snap some new ones in a few days.

Cory - in the new Mopar perf catalogue they list vreplacement a-body 340 springs, may want to check them out. The price might not be too bad. I only paid $120 (cnd $) per side for the kit car dirt track Mopar Perf spring I use in the race car. I tried a set in my car years ago and took them out as the ride height was fine if you like 4 wheelin'. I think they are still in the barn somewhere.

Found some pictures.

Here's the 'before' shots:

newspringsbefore1.jpg

newspringsbefore2.jpg

newspringsbefore3.jpg

newspringsbefore4.jpg

And here's the 'after' shots:

newspringsafter1.jpg

newspringsafter2.jpg

newspringsafter3.jpg

When the springs were first installed, the car sat very high and crooked. Then I found that I had installed the springs on the wrong sides, so I swapped them. Then the other side sat higher. But after a couple of weeks they settled down, both sides are level and it's sitting slightly lower. But it is much higher than stock, and gives quite a bit more room in the wheelwells.

I knew this thread was around here somewhere...

Here's some pics I took today, the car is on the ground finally. It sits higher on one side, but I think that's because it's been up on jackstands with the suspension hanging free for so long.

1000829.jpg

1000836.jpg

And here's the long shocks:

1000837.jpg

AdamR said:
They wont stay that crooked for long. Mine site pretty level now.
Yeah, I figure they'll settle back down once it's sitting on the tires for a while.

try crankin the tortion bar up on the low side just a little bit. It won't fix it but it might help a little. Maybe

-
Back