SSBC replacement parts

-

Furious65

C-body Guy
Reaction score
I have a new SSBC A153 kit for my '68 Barracuda. I haven't installed it and wonder if I even should. After hearing how SSBC is defunct, getting replacement rotors, pads, and calipers has me concerned.

Does anyone know what OEM applications they used to build their kit?

If you Google the kit, there are sites with the specs for replacement parts for that & other SSBC kits. Just my .02.

If you look at the kit, it appears to have the Kelsey Hayes style calipers, and Mustang style rotors. I think they used their own bracket to mount the caliper to the drum brake rotor.
Maybe buy some pads and a mustang rotor, and compare them before deciding to install. That would let you know if the replacements would be available. If they fit, you've bought some replacement parts. If not, you haven't flushed too much more money away. Do you know a friendly counterperson who would help you out?

the pads are stock a body and early mustang , no issues with getting them . there still in bizz so you can go to the source as well .

I too have the SSBC A153 kit on my Dart GT.

The front pads, from what I remember, are FMSI# D11.

I'd like to find out some details on the standard rotors provided in the kit.

If you Google the kit, there are sites with the specs for replacement parts for that & other SSBC kits. Just my .02.
I have Googled it and the only thing I had found (and now confirmed here) was the D11 brake pads. On the other parts all I found were all generalities and assumptions with no hard information on from what application the parts crossed over to and my Google-fu is normally pretty good. That said, I will keep searching.
there still in bizz so you can go to the source as well .
Really? Their website seems to have disappeared. Plus, lots of people saying they are gone.

I too have the SSBC A153 kit on my Dart GT.

The front pads, from what I remember, are FMSI# D11.

I'd like to find out some details on the standard rotors provided in the kit.

Hi, same the same (153-1), can you please share where I can get the pads? thanks in advance!

D-11 pads can be found at Jegs, Summit, Autozone, & other outlets. If you take one of the rotors & a caliper, I'm almost positive a local parts store can match them up.

Really? Their website seems to have disappeared. Plus, lots of people saying they are gone.

They are somewhat local to me, but to do a drive by would result in a 2.5 hour round trip (in good weather). I tried two phone numbers I found. Both were disconnected. Website is down, as you noted. Summit has the SSBC rotors listed as unavailable. Sure seems like they're done.

I ordered replacement pads from SSBC about a year ago, under $40 shipped. The rotors are from a 67 Mustang I believe, the local parts store was able to identify the seals I needed for them when I had the rotors turned.

I have a set on the front of my 66, does anyone know the SSBC kit number for early "A" bodies? Thanks

Thanks, without caliber 67 mustang, the other is the SSBC, the rotor sure looks the same, not sure on the lug spacing.
br1_1.5.jpg
06485600_0.jpg

Mustang would be 4 1/2x 5 or BBP I believe. I had to back out of a SSBC kit for valiant. I went right to the store front. Placed an order for the kit, he said he would call when ready. He did, 6 months later, and for like 400$ more than summit had them listed. Needless to say, I was upset. A cash, out the door sale, was more than from a 3rd party. I understand wholesale, but holy cow. He was going to check on the price difference and never called me back.

Mustang would be 4 1/2x 5 or BBP I believe. I had to back out of a SSBC kit for valiant. I went right to the store front. Placed an order for the kit, he said he would call when ready. He did, 6 months later, and for like 400$ more than summit had them listed. Needless to say, I was upset. A cash, out the door sale, was more than from a 3rd party. I understand wholesale, but holy cow. He was going to check on the price difference and never called me back.

Yes, and of course mine is the 4" pattern. You would think that one of SSBC's ex employees could at least put out the information on what their kits were made up from. Thanks

I can look around for a business card. It’s probably in the valiant. Haha. The guys name is Tony that I was dealing with.

A year or so ago, I asked them if the rotors would fit a stock K-H system. I was hoping the rotors would be a cheap and easy way to convert to large bolt pattern. They replied right away, saying they would not fit.
If I recall, they used a rotor with a dual bolt pattern, drilled for 4" & 4.5". They shipped with one size installed, and the other one studs in the box. I'm not sure what machining would be necessary to make a Mustang rotor fit a Mopar drum brake steering knuckle, if indeed that's what they did.

Yes, and of course mine is the 4" pattern. You would think that one of SSBC's ex employees could at least put out the information on what their kits were made up from. Thanks

I wonder if Leed Brakes has some of the SSBC DNA. They are located only a few miles away, and the kits look very similar.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda

I wonder if Leed Brakes has some of the SSBC DNA. They are located only a few miles away, and the kits look very similar.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda

If you check it out let us know, I can send them an "E" mail and ask the question too. Thanks for your input! I have a noise coming from the left front when driving, need to pull the rotor and take a look, could be the wheel bearings.

Last edited:
If you check it out let us know, I can send them an "E" mail and ask the question too. Thanks for your input! I have a noise coming from the right front of when driving, need to pull the rotor and take a look, could be the wheel bearings.

I went in a different direction. I'm using OEM steering knuckles from a disc brake equipped '74 Duster, rotors from a '77 Cordoba, pin type caliper adapter brackets, and calipers from a '72 Charger. All the stuff is available with a little looking, with the pads and rotors easy to get. That was a big reason I decided on this course. No proprietary stuff that becomes impossible to find when production is ceased for whatever reason.
If the noise from your front gets louder or quieter when turning in either direction, it probably is a wheel bearing.
I know a fellow who had a bad experience with SSBC and likes (I think) Leed Brakes. I'm pretty sure he's a member here. I'll try to get him to share his experiences.

I have had the SSBC front kit on my 69 Barracuda for about 10-12 years. I had a squealing noise coming from the front that I thought was a wheel bearing. I called SSBC and they told me that most of the parts from the kit were from 66-67 (if I remember right) Mustang. The rotors are drilled for 4.0 or 4.5 bolt pattern. I bought bearings for a Mustang and they fit fine. Don't know which other parts are from a Mustang, but they said most. Hope this helps.

-
Back