Stall Swap help

-

kc0r8y

Reaction score
HI,
I have a 69 dart with 727 TF Tranny. The car was a track only car that I am converting to a street car. It has a trans brake, Tranny cooler up front and reverse manual valve body with a cheetah shifter.

I need to swap the 4500 stall out of the car for a 3500. Generally before I start to do any projects on a car I like to search for a how to video to watch just to make sure I don't miss anything or do anything stupid to cause problems.

I've searched thought the forums as well as the web and can't seem to find a start to finish type video or instructions on how to pull the tranny and swap the stall. I'm sure it's fairly simple on this car but again just wanted to review some type of instructions.

Does anyone know of a video or web site that has kind of a how to?

Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

If it's a quality convertor you may not need to change it at all.

got ANY reason to pull the engine? the torque converter is SUPER easy to get at with the engine out... not that dropping the trans is that big of a deal.

Can't help you on video. But it seems the biggest mistake that is made is not getting the converter fully engaged into the front pump.

Can't help you on video. But it seems the biggest mistake that is made is not getting the converter fully engaged into the front pump.
You're referring to when it's being reinstalled?

Yes sir. There's two steps when the converter goes In that engage. The two lugs on the snout of the converter and then the impeller over the trans input. Measure your old one from the trans mount flange and the new one should sit in about the same and will actually move forward towards the flex plate to mount. Also there will be one converter mount lug that's offset. I would mark the flex plate and converter to align the offset so your not fighting to get it correct. It's about guaranteed if you don't mark it you'll get to the last bolt and the holes won't be aligned. Also will probably want to loctite the converter bolts also.

when you pull cross member and drop trans watch the distance from fire wall and distributor if its a small block, seen a few get broke dropping trans like that...

-
Back