Standard To Rallye Dash

-

Jesse Martin

Title Don't need no stinkin title!
Reaction score
Well, because of the project car effect and how it never ends, the perfectly fine standard dash I had just screamed to be upgraded, so this post is on how I went about converting a standard dash to Rallye and what to watch out for.
First I did not use an original bezel but a Repop from Classic Industries, there are some defects with the new ones that require some trimming, if you do have an original bezel and time to send it out an or would suggest doing that as the originals just fit a little bit better.
These are some of the problems I had with the Repop bezels. The fitment between the bezel and the gauge housing was a bit off it seemed like the bezel was warped but some manhandling and it did work, the reinforcement plate holes were completely off and I had to oblong them out for it to attach, if you are running trip counter you will have to drill a hole for it, the tabs on the Hi-Beam and Brake light needs to be trimmed otherwise they sit in crooked, and the blinker lenses do not have the plastic tabs to melt to hold them In so they need to be glued.
So as the Rallye dash is much larger then the standard one you will, of course, need to do some trimming, you will also need to add a bit of metal so if you don't have a welder this really can't be done. If I were to do it again I suggest making a paper template off the Bezel to help with trimming, In some places, I cut too much and had to re-weld pieces back on. if you have a radio hole already in your dash frame you will need to fill it in as the radio position moves from standard to Rallye, there are also the holes for the wood grain pieces that have to be plugged.
20190526_180900.jpg

This is after the metal work was finished, I painted it with some 2K epoxy primer. The main thing you will need to add is this pice along the top to allow for the bezel to be screwed to the dash frame. you can use the clips from the standard dash but just change the location. I also used the wire loom holders from the cutout piece by just drilling out the spot welds and reattaching them to the new tab. The two tabs on the bottom were placed after I got the top bracket finished.
11111.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of it but I then used Body filler to smoothen out the dash frame. Since the original paint was a suede type of black I used this (https://amzn.to/2WJgKkp)
Rustoleum Textured black, then once dried knocked down the high spots with some Scotch bright pads.

Now for the gauges. The ones I got the numbering were yellowed, an easy way to re-whiten them is with white wall wash this is what I used (https://amzn.to/3192fpn).
20190529_161116.jpg

after they were cleaned I noticed that the black looked faded as well, I used this tire shine spray (https://amzn.to/2wAW0wv) and let them sit outside, it made them much shiner.
20190529_161714.jpg

The needes were faded as well so a new florescent needed paint was brushed on (Custom Fluorescent Orange Speedo & Gauge Needle Paint | eBay)
To test if the gauges worked, a variable potentiometer was used to simulate the signal and (https://amzn.to/2HXSanT) AA's were used to give the ~5v and signal.

Some of the pins were loose on the board so I soldered them to it to strengthen them
20190605_001814.jpg

One of the other things you have to change is the wiring on the pigtail so it will work with the Rallye Dash. 72BluNblu on the site made this very helpful conversion chart
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 10.44.45 PM.jpg

Since the blue and white wire on my 72 wiring harness is the main dash power as well as the brake light power wire I had to add a split to the wire so it could do both on the new board. This also had to be done with the orange light wire.
20190605_001651.jpg

But because I did not have extra connectors I split a crimpable connector and used the metal from inside seeing as it is a perfect fit on the circuit board pins
20190531_223129.jpg

20190531_222842.jpg

My lenses were pretty hazy so Meguiar's PlastX cleaned them right up
(https://amzn.to/2MEFnv4)
glass.jpg

To reattach, the lenses and centerpieces a soldering Iron and plastic from a model kit were used.

Last edited:
The other thing you have to change is if you have the wood grain covers is that you need to have the non-woodgrain glove box door, luckily I found one for cheap. I could not find just the plastic bezel piece for it.
s-l1600.jpg

This is the bezel all put together
bezel.jpg

While the dash is apart I saw somewhere else on here the conversion from the mono speaker to two 3.5 inch tweeters, I sketched up one on solid works and use our shop's laser to cut it out. If you want the .Sldprt file just message me.
speakers.jpg

To stop any debris from getting on the speaker's nylon socks were placed over them then bolted to the plate

Here is the dash finished the only thing left to do is to adjust the bezel on the glove box door
20190604_223713.jpg

I liked the look of the barracuda emblem on the 67 up dashes I took one of the old fender badges and placed it in a similar spot
20190605_001915.jpg

I had to read a bit to learn that this car / original dash was 72 model Dart Scamp. Readers should note that a 73 and up climate controller will not fit a rally dash.
As for working with plastics,,, it is what it is. If you had started with OEM bezel you would have found that removing and reinstalling attached pieces, especially the 2 green lenses, to be the same, use glue? what type glue? challenge.
I assume the new reproduction bezel would have a nice straight brim line at the dash pad. OEM bezels are often wavy along there. A flaw that might not be noticed until installed. The factories metal heat shielding piece did help but after 50 years,,, we find there wasn't enough fasteners in it.
One more note... Any gauge screens are supposed to be a very flat finish. Glossy can cause glares. In this case, blue tint diffusers and all, there isn't enough light for screen finish to matter much.

Yeah I wanted to keep the flat gauge look but it was just too splotchy, the tire shine made it look much more uniform. On the new bezel it is very good along the pad but the two original bezels I have are also just as straight, the warpage that I experienced was around where it's supposed to go above the left trun signal indicator. For the turn signal lenses I used CA glue but the bezel I removed the lense from used the melted plastic like the gauge leses the new bezel had no such thing.

This needs to be a sticky note over in the tech section for those of us who have thought about going this route. There is just something about the rallye dash that is hard to outclass with the aftermarket alternatives unless the dash frame is changed out too.

Nice work by you guys. I put a '66 Formula S dash in my '65 Valiant wagon. Retro race car, so not going to extremes, but will look OK when finished. More cutting involved than I first thought.
IMG_20180214_173513.jpg

This needs to be a sticky note over in the tech section for those of us who have thought about going this route. There is just something about the rallye dash that is hard to outclass with the aftermarket alternatives unless the dash frame is changed out too.
Yeah but ( there's always a but ) when there is a problem the rally inst' panel is about twice as difficult to R&R compared to the standard inst' panel. The limiter being inside the fuel gauge of rally panel is its inherent prominent problem. Best to expect and correct that before install.

Yeah but ( there's always a but ) when there is a problem the rally inst' panel is about twice as difficult to R&R compared to the standard inst' panel. The limiter being inside the fuel gauge of rally panel is its inherent prominent problem. Best to expect and correct that before install.
That is one of the big downsides to the Rallye dash is that the radio and heater/AC controls have to be disconnected to allow for removal, since I removed the heater core from my car I don't have to worry about it but if you do have one it would make working on it a *****.

My custom built rally inst' panel is much easier to remove than OEM. Pull the stereo head unit, Reach though that opening to remove 3 bezel to dash fasteners ( like those in a standard dash ). Remove knobs from climate control levers. It stays mounted in the dash like standard. All that and a box of tunes :)

DeMonDIN plus burl 02 resize.jpg

Yeah I wanted to keep the flat gauge look but it was just too splotchy, the tire shine made it look much more uniform. On the new bezel it is very good along the pad but the two original bezels I have are also just as straight, the warpage that I experienced was around where it's supposed to go above the left trun signal indicator. For the turn signal lenses I used CA glue but the bezel I removed the lense from used the melted plastic like the gauge leses the new bezel had no such thing.
That is a project that takes some guts to pursue, and a fair amount of patience ,measuring, and pattern making. I have done 3 of those conversions now with the standard dash frame, it's just steel right ? It does get easier. Only dupli-color flat black seems to work paint wise, SEM flat black used to be great, EPA got to them too I guess. Instead of epoxies or melted plastics I use 3M brand clear RTV for flexibility, rough roads etc. Just suggestions/ideas. Good common sense on your wiring too. Great job!

Message_1496969718672.jpg

DUSTER DASH PROJECT 5 2017.jpg

That is a project that takes some guts to pursue, and a fair amount of patience ,measuring, and pattern making. I have done 3 of those conversions now with the standard dash frame, it's just steel right ? It does get easier. Only dupli-color flat black seems to work paint wise, SEM flat black used to be great, EPA got to them too I guess. Instead of epoxies or melted plastics I use 3M brand clear RTV for flexibility, rough roads etc. Just suggestions/ideas. Good common sense on your wiring too. Great job!

View attachment 1715436592

View attachment 1715436594
Very nice job on the blue duster dash frame! Did you make some sort of crimping tool to go around the perimeter of the newly cut opening? I can't think of a good way to get the top of the cutout properly and cleanly offset like an original rallye dash

Very nice job on the blue duster dash frame! Did you make some sort of crimping tool to go around the perimeter of the newly cut opening? I can't think of a good way to get the top of the cutout properly and cleanly offset like an original rallye dash
You can buy a flange making vise grips from many different stores. Here's one at Target. What a great must have tool for cheap ! IRWIN VISE-GRIP 8R Locking Sheet Metal Clamp,8",3-1/8" Cap.

-
Back