Starter goes "KLUNK"

-

Michael Brisebois

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my 66 Barracuda starting.

273ci

I was certain that it was the starter, as it would only go Klunk, so I replace that miserable thing. I replaced it with the "high torque" mini starter as the size makes it an easier job ( not by much though). I had concerns, as the top hole on the starter is larger than expected and I thought that this could create a "positioning" error. When I was finally done, I put the front drivers tire back on, just snug and lowered the car to the floor. I jumped into the drivers seat. turned the key and the engine turned over fast and strong. I tightened the front tire proper and cleaned up. The next time I turned the key.......it just goes "KLUNK"!

I rechecked the wires, the ground, main battery cable...all looks good.
???
So I went after the starter relay, cleaned the connections... and then replaced it....same thing.

I ready to loosen the front tire

First thing to do is make certain the engine is not stuck. This could be something jammed up in the flywheel/ converter area, something wrong with the engine or trans. Try to turn the engine with a socket on the dampener bolt.

Next, string a wire somehow and clip it to the big battery terminal. Connect to your multimeter, and ground the other lead to the block. "Jumper" the start relay (making sure it's in park/ neutral by jumpering across the two large bare terminals on the start relay. Hold it engaged long enough to take a reading on your meter. Must read the meter while starter is engaged. You want to see AT LEAST 10v and better higher. If it is below that investigate bad battery cables/ clamps or dead/ bad battery

I had a battery toy tug boat once that went "klunk klunk".

Agree with post #3, something jamming preventing the crank from rotating.

My guess is battery cable terminal. Chessy led replacement with wire under a strap? I had a 68 B'cuda w/318 laying here several years. Every time I put a battery in it to start and run it a little while, turn the key and get "klunk". Enough connection to energize the starter but not enough to run it/turn the engine. Get out, feck around with that positive terminal connection and try again.

I once used a couple bolts that were one size too small in that application and got exactly the same result you're having. I suspect the starter would get loose and ****-eyed just enough to jam after the first or second starting cycle. The worst part was that it started back in Washington when I installed the new mini and went "klunk" in the back of the moving van in Hilliard Florida when we tried to get the car out. Truck driver wasn't impressed!! I can't remember the bolt size.... good luck

l_A_p

-
Back