Starter position.

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I was researching some applications for my 1965 Barracuda, Super 225, automatic. A question came up about the starter position. "Is the starter in a high or low position?" Wouldn't the starter on my car be considered a low position starter?
Norm

????? What was the context of the question? If they were talking about say, a replacement automatic transmission, the slants have the starter mounted "high" where the V8 is "low" It is a completely different bellhousing.

Older trucks and maybe some industrial equipment with the hydraulic bellhousing use a lower starter position, but as far as I know all cars with the slant six use the higher position.

Older trucks and maybe some industrial equipment with the hydraulic bellhousing use a lower starter position, but as far as I know all cars with the slant six use the higher position.
Actually, not quite true. Before Mopar came out with the slant six 727 trans, they used an adapter to allow the use of a small block 727. This required the used of the "low" starter position. These systems were used in trucks, vans, and "fleet" cars. Most cars did use the high starter with the 904 trans.
If the starter is above the oil pan rail, it is a high starter. If below the oil pan rail, it is a low starter. This is true whether car, truck, or van.

PS: "fleet" meaning some taxi, police, or any heavy duty application.
PPS: In truck use with standard shift, if using the "truck" trans (cast iron bell housing, and shifter coming out of the top of the trans) it is low starter. If using a trans with a shifter that mounts to the tail housing, and has linkage, (could be cast iron or aluminum bellhousing) it would be high starter.

Last edited:
Actually, not quite true. Before Mopar came out with the slant six 727 trans, they used an adapter to allow the use of a small block 727. This required the used of the "low" starter position. .

I was thinking of this. To be clear, this adapter used a V8 pattern transmission and adapted it to the slant engine. These would be fairly rare

I was thinking of this. To be clear, this adapter used a V8 pattern transmission and adapted it to the slant engine. These would be fairly rare
The question I had was the result of the use of Clifford headers. I bought some from a forum member a while back and I'm planning on installing them as soon as the weather gets warmer. I was on the Clifford web site looking for some collector couplings and noticed that their headers for the slant, reference "high starter and low starter." My headers are in storage. I plan on looking at them again this weekend. (when I bought them...I didn't ask)
Thanks for the replies.
Norm

Your car should have the high starter. Look at he headers, and if the rear collector outlet points to the rear and down that is for the high starter. If the outlet points almost straight down that is for the low starter.

Cliffords and "High" starter 225 in a 64 Dart
IMG_1914.jpg

-
Back