Starter problem

-
Reaction score
I friend has a 70 Duster that he has owned since new. It needed a new starter so he bought one and I put it on. The old starter made a noise just as the engine started and the key was returned to the run position. Thought it was part of the problem. The new starter does the same thing....it is a 225 slant six. And yes I did put the sheet metal spacer back in....Anyone else had this problem in the past? Thanks in advance.

You need to describe the noise better, but you probably have a bad flywheel/converter. Each time you turn off the engine, it comes to rest in one of 3-4 places on the flywheel. Over time, the teeth on the flywheel in these areas wear causing poor starter engagement. Remove your starter and examine the teeth on the flywheel/converter.

I checked the teeth on the old starter when I pulled it out and they look fine. Will pull it again and spin engine over with my remote starter so I can bump it and check all teeth. The noise sounds almost like a belt squeel for a split second. Hard to describe.....thanks for the info.

I have a 318, and put a ministarter on had a noise when I released the key. I also had the noise with the old Mopar starter. I thought it was flywheel, but further investigation proved to be the alternator not being secured. Like magic when I tightened up Alt. noise went away.

Any possibility that the starter relay is not disingaging properly, or maybe the key switch is doing the same.

A quick way to test the key is to use your remote starter, with key in run, use remote starter to turn over engine and let go when it starts. If no sound key switch is not returning from start fast enough.if it does make noise try a replacement starter relay. If it still makes noise look into the mechanical issues mentioned before

Sounds like the starter might be taking a while to disengage, so the engine is spinning its overrunning clutch. As a test, grab a junkyard starter from a Magnum engine (~1987-2002 V-6 or V-8, Dodge truck or motorhome, Jeep Grand Cherokee, maybe $10). It fits fine and if the sound goes away he might appreciate the 1/2 size and weight plus more torque.

-
Back